It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Straight Pride Parade

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Some might remember my post back in June about folks trying to organize this parade:

‘Straight Pride’ parade planned for Boston

That parade has now come to pass:

Boston's Straight Pride Parade draws hundreds of marchers and even more counter protesters

BOSTON — They marched under the motto, "It's great to be straight." A man in a shark costume chanted, "Straight lives matter!" Another dressed as Santa Claus held the "straight flag" and welcomed any heckling that came his way.

After months of build-up and debate, drawing the attention of late-night talk shows and the scorn of many in this liberal city, a few hundred marchers took part Saturday afternoon in a Straight Pride Parade in Boston.

And straight from one of the parade's organizers:

"I am here to say, 'I am straight, hear me roar!'" said Mark Sahady, vice president of a group called Super Happy Fun America, which put on the parade. "Whether you are straight and part of the oppressed majority, or here as an ally supporting us, we welcome you to the greatest parade in the history of the world!"

Apparently the number of protesters was greater than the number of participants in the parade:

Protesters, including many who identified with the anti-fascist group antifa, shouted "Nazi scum!" Some greeted the straight-pride marchers with their middle fingers and yelled expletives. Many LGBTQ advocates protested as well. Other people just stopped to see what was going on.

"Boston doesn't want you!" one man yelled. "We outnumber you!"

While some articles are referring to the protesters as "counter" protesters, I don't think that's at all accurate. The Straight Pride parade was NOT a protest of anyone, just a celebration of themselves. And was not only attended by many in the LGBT community, but the Grand Marshal for the parade was the well known (albeit infamous!) gay man, Milo Yiannopoulos:

Walking among the 'Straight Pride' supporters were a sprinkling of white LGBTQIA members. A trans woman was even pictured walking with a Trump sign that she decorated with the trans flag.

Christen Greczowski held up the flag signed by transgender people who have left the Democratic Party....

The marshal of the 'Straight Pride' rally was Milo Yiannopoulos, a prominent and provocative member of the far-right movement in the U.S. who has been banned from several social media sites. He also happens to be gay.

LGBTQ Trump fans turn out to support 'Straight Pride' parade as marchers face off with hundreds of counter-protesters amid a huge police presence in Boston

To be clear, the protesters were not protesting heterosexuality, but the social/political/ideological associations of the parade organizers:

Critics say the 'Straight Pride' organizers are white-supremacists whose intent is to bait members of the LGBT community in Boston.

'The organizers of the Straight Pride Parade have long and well-documented ties to white supremacists and anti-immigrant movements,' a protester said to CBS News. 'In general, they are fascists who believe that they are the only acceptable type of being.'

Something like this speaker:

Among other scheduled speakers is a leader of the Proud Boys, which the Anti-Defamation League describes as an 'extremist conservative group.'

Other than some coffee and dirt thrown between the parade participants and the protesters, the parade went off without a hitch. But the end of the parade wasn't the end for the protesters, who took it to whole new levels:

Boston (AFP) - US police fired pepper spray Saturday after counter-demonstrators accused them of protecting "Straight Pride" advocates who support President Donald Trump, and refused to let officers re-open a road...

But after the "Straight Pride" group had dispersed, the counter-protesters accused police of protecting "Nazis," chanted "shame on you" and formed a human chain which police tried to get through, an AFP photographer said.

Officers fired pepper spray and made several arrests.

Seriously? Did they really think circling officers like a pack of rabid dogs was going to work out well??? They're lucky all they got was pepper spray... and 36 were arrested. Rightly so. I have criticized LEOs plenty of times for going too far, but this is not and will not be one of those times. The minute the protesters acted to impose their collective will (read: MOB RULE! -- literally) on officers of the law doing their jobs (especially in an already tense situation) is the minute they proved to the officers that they could not be trusted.
The arrests include:

A police captain said he tried to frisk Kraft because those groups “advocate violence and armed militant resistance.” Kraft allegedly shoved the captain’s hands away, so he was charged with assault and battery of a police officer, according to the police affidavit.

Two men nearby, Benjamin Boyd and Timothy Rego, allegedly tried to interfere with Kraft’s arrest and were themselves arrested for assault and battery of police officers, the affidavit says. Boyd and Rego were additionally charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

But the circus continues. I will let the headlines tell the tale:

Ocasio-Cortez, Pressley help raise bail for 'Straight Pride' counterprotesters

Charges won't be dropped for 'Straight Pride Parade' counterprotesters

Rachael Rollins [prosecutor] blasts judge for refusing to dismiss charges against nonviolent ‘Straight Pride Parade’ protesters

The Suffolk Country district attorney says she will "use the legal process to remedy the judge’s overstepping of his role."

A defense lawyer for a ‘Straight Pride Parade’ protester was cited for contempt of court after a tense exchange with a judge

A defense lawyer representing a protester arrested at the “Straight Pride Parade” was cited for contempt of court and later released from custody Wednesday after challenging a judge’s refusal to drop the charges against her client and others as has been requested by prosecutors.

Michelle Wu questions police tactics at ‘Straight Pride Parade’

The Boston city councilor said the heavy police presence set the "tone" for both sides.

(Except...um... only protesters behaved badly and were arrested. Hmmmmm...)

So that's where we are at. And it's a crying shame.

I wonder if we'll see another one next year. If so, I hope both the organizers and the protesters expand and improve on their message... and our public officials as well.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Dang , assault and battery of a police officer is a Class D felony if physical contact occurred.
At least in Georgia.

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:04 AM
link   
In this age, you can't be proud of who you are, especially if you are a straight white male.
We are the worst.
Bad straight white male. Bad.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   
those darn straight people
how dare they be proud of their normalcy!

It's amusing and expected that they were protested to the point of violence and arrests, though.
I'm glad they managed to run the parade. When I first heard about the idea I assumed it would be shut down and banished by the city government.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I'm pretty sure it's a felony here in AZ as well, and rightfully so -- especially when the officer is performing his duties. Whether the suspected Antifa dudes, or the ones who thought it was a good idea to surround and detain the cops, they all deserved to be arrested.

But apparently these folks don't have much respect for the law anyway... congress critters raising bail, prosecutors and defense attorneys arguing with the judge, city councilwoman questioning police "tactics"...

They made themselves look much MUCH worse than the parade organizers and participants.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Dang , assault and battery of a police officer is a Class D felony if physical contact occurred.
At least in Georgia.

And yet- all it takes is pushing an officers hands away. Even if they're essentially molesting you... all you have to do is make deliberate contact with someone for it to count as battery.
"get your hands off me!"

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Members of "the squad", AOC and Pressley have been asking their supporters to donate to bail money for the "counter protesters" who got arrested. They are saying that the straight pride protesters are full of hate. Funny how that works when they are the ones constantly spewing vitriol at anyone who disagrees with them

AOC, Pressley to help pay bail for counterprotesters at ‘Straight Pride’

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
In this age, you can't be proud of who you are, especially if you are a straight white male.
We are the worst.

Man, have you tried being middle aged?
Straight, white, male, AND you have worldly responsibilities?
I'm practically hitler over here.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

originally posted by: Gothmog
At least in Georgia.

And yet- all it takes is pushing an officers hands away. Even if they're essentially molesting you... all you have to do is make deliberate contact with someone for it to count as battery.
"get your hands off me!"

You are correct .
Works the same for anyone.
Police officer or not.
Except for the possible charges .
Disrupting a government official performing their duties is a much heavier offense.

edit on 9/6/19 by Gothmog because: clarification

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:15 AM
link   

I don't think there is anything wrong with the straight pride parade. I doubt it would interest most straight people, myself included, but it's freedom of speech so it doesn't bother me.

If I'm being honest with myself, there was a probably a mix of people there with different intentions. I'm sure many were genuinely just their to show they believe in the cause (and before anyone questions that, there are people who are proud traditionalists, and they should have the same rights as any to voice that), and I'm sure there were some people there baiting a response.

Ironically, if no one protested this, it wouldn't have made the news cycle more than a blip... And if they protest peacefully, the same. But a few people got violent, and at the end of the day, they got violent because someone was vocal about their sexual preferences (hate crime if the shoe was on the other foot). More than that though, they got political fodder for some because AOC decided to assist those who committed a crime, while sending other messages through that action.

Some of these protesters are their own causes worst enemy.
edit on 6-9-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

More than that though, they got political fodder for some because AOC decided to assist those who committed a crime, while sending other messages through that action.

AOC's raising money for bail is not an assist.
The part about "people protecting their rights" is beside the point when facing Class D felony charges.
Money wasted.
Wonder how many will "jump bail" and have a bench warrant issued ?
Under a felony , that could turn ugly .

edit on 9/6/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Parades are so gay. . . .

Funny how the left hides behind free speech but endorses silencing of all opinions differing their own.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I think posting bail for someone is a big form of assistance, and like you point out can come with a little bit of liability down the road. Posting bail for someone is like cosigning a loan.

Either way, that's an interesting move for a young politician just starting her career. I think there are better causes for her that wouldn't provide negative optics like this one.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

Members of "the squad", AOC and Pressley have been asking their supporters to donate to bail money for the "counter protesters" who got arrested. They are saying that the straight pride protesters are full of hate. Funny how that works when they are the ones constantly spewing vitriol at anyone who disagrees with them

AOC, Pressley to help pay bail for counterprotesters at ‘Straight Pride’

You're right, and that just boggles my mind. There was no hate shown on the part of the organizers or the participants for anyone else. In fact, just a little love and celebration of themselves. All the hate came from the protesters.

Generally speaking, and in this specific instance, no one has spewed more hate and vitriol and venom than the protesters and the protesting (like AOC and Pressley). If they'd behaved -- or not even shown up -- it wouldn't even have made a blip on the vast majority's radar. No one would have heard more than a passing blurb on the news (if that!).

And I think it's also noteworthy that this was a family and child friendly event... no inappropriate states of undress, no sexual acts in full public view, no sexual perversions on display, no obscene and vulgar signs and messages...

The protesters could learn much about respect and basic courtesy for others. (And the sun is hot, right?)

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I had the idea of a ‘family unit’ parade. Celebrating the traditional family unit. With emphasis put on hetero sexual couple who strive to stick together and look after each other and their family. Good old family values, we should be able to celebrate this.
It might also help to minimise the number of young couples who get together, have kids, then divorce.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
We are the worst.

Sure you can -- that was the point of the parade! Don't give them so much power.

You can't make everyone happy. People will talk trash no matter what you do. Name anything and there's someone out there talking trash. And there's someone cheering for the same thing.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

I had the idea of a ‘family unit’ parade. Celebrating the traditional family unit. With emphasis put on hetero sexual couple who strive to stick together and look after each other and their family. Good old family values, we should be able to celebrate this.
It might also help to minimise the number of young couples who get together, have kids, then divorce.

I'll take take things a bigot would say for 5,000.

lol, joking.

Funny though I could have said that with a straight face (pun intended), and some people would have acted like I was brave or something.

I understand traditional people wanting to pass on their tradition, I understand people wanting to break tradition without losing rights.... What I for no life of me understand, is how someone would have a violent response to someone merely sharing their voice.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I don't think there is anything wrong with the straight pride parade.

Nope, nothing wrong with it. Perhaps nothing really right about it either. And I say exactly the same about the Gay Pride Parades. Folks can celebrate whatever they choose to celebrate -- no matter how worthy you or I or the doormouse thinks it is.

Ironically, if no one protested this, it wouldn't have made the news cycle more than a blip... And if they protest peacefully, the same. But a few people got violent, and at the end of the day, they got violent because someone was vocal about their sexual preferences (hate crime if the shoe was on the other foot). More than that though, they got political fodder for some because AOC decided to assist those who committed a crime, while sending other messages through that action.

Some of these protesters are their own causes worst enemy.

I made pretty much the same point in another comment. The brouhaha was all about the protesters behaving badly, escalated and perpetuated by government officials after the fact. That's the worst of all of this.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Funny how the left hides behind free speech but endorses silencing of all opinions differing their own.

And quite sad. I couldn't imagine the pain every day brings, when one is so incapable of dealing with others thoughts and opinions -- even when it doesn't affect you in any practical or tangible way!!!

The real world is full of opposites and variables and surprises. We can roll with it or be trampled under the weight of our own emotions and ego. That's gotta suck.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:59 AM
link   
If it's going to be that kind of party I'm gonna hang my hog in the mashed potatoes.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join