It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's allllllrighttttt now, In fact it's illegal to pump yo gas!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I heard the dumbcuckinest thing today.

Apparently--In fact, most definitely--it is illegal to pump your own gas in the trailblazing states of Oregon and New Jersey. My first instinct upon hearing this was that someone is pranking me because I'm a naive simpleton.

But ohhhh no-oh! This is Clowntopia.

I ran through the logistics of it multiple times. How. How. How. Whyyyyyyyyy?

The only reason I could come up with (while I had no internet available) was that someone decided gasoline is an extremely volatile and hazardous substance that only licensed, trained, and certified technicians should be able to handle.

(Again. We're talking clown logistics.)

When able to verify, I realized my clown suspicions weren't too far off the clown mark. But apparently this draconian farce has seen some slack in Oregon, as it is now legal to pump your own gas in what I assume includes only a handful of service stations throughout the entire state.

That isn't to say residents weren't outraged by having this...responsibility? privilege? mundane everyday task that everyone else in the world is able to perform?

“Many people are not capable of knowing how to pump gas and the hazards of not doing it correctly. Besides I don't want to go to work smelling of gas when I get it on my hands or clothes. I agree Very bad idea.”

“I don't even know HOW to pump gas and I am 62, native Oregonian.....I say NO THANKS! I don't want to smell like gasoline!”

“I've lived in this state all my life and I REFUSE to pump my own gas. I had to do it once in California while visiting my brother and almost died doing it. This a service only qualified people should perform. I will literally park at the pump and wait until someone pumps my gas. I can't even”

www.forbes.com... e47bb2600eb

The hazards? slim-to-none unless you're a Darwin Award contender

The smell?...delicious!

The...uhhh...inconvenience of when you have to, when you can't even? Who ties your shoes? How do you get your pants facing the right direction in the mornings?

What's next?! Maybe they'll have chemists (with no less than a Masters) serving "Big Dairy" interests by administering the proper amount of creamer for my diner coffees!

On second thought...yeah maybe they shouldn't be pumping their own gas in Oregon..

edit on 5-9-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

I heard the dumbcuckinest thing today.

Apparently--In fact, most definitely--it is illegal to pump your own gas in the trailblazing states of Oregon and New Jersey. My first instinct upon hearing this was that someone is pranking me because I'm a naive simpleton.

But ohhhh no-oh! This is Clowntopia.

I ran through the logistics of it multiple times. How. How. How. Whyyyyyyyyy?

The only reason I could come up with (while I had no internet available) was that someone decided gasoline is an extremely volatile and hazardous substance that only licensed, trained, and certified technicians should be able to handle.

When able to verify, I realized my clown suspicions weren't too far off the mark. Apparently this draconian farce has seen some slack in Oregon, as it is now legal to pump your own gas in what I assume includes only a handful of service stations throughout the entire state.

That isn't to say residents weren't outraged by having this...responsibility? privilege? mundane everyday task that everyone else in the world is able to perform?

“Many people are not capable of knowing how to pump gas and the hazards of not doing it correctly. Besides I don't want to go to work smelling of gas when I get it on my hands or clothes. I agree Very bad idea.”

“I don't even know HOW to pump gas and I am 62, native Oregonian.....I say NO THANKS! I don't want to smell like gasoline!”

“I've lived in this state all my life and I REFUSE to pump my own gas. I had to do it once in California while visiting my brother and almost died doing it. This a service only qualified people should perform. I will literally park at the pump and wait until someone pumps my gas. I can't even”

www.forbes.com... e47bb2600eb

The hazards? slim-to-none unless you're a Darwin Award contender

The smell?...delicious!

The...uhhh...inconvenience of when have to, when you can't even? Who ties your shoes? How do you get your pants facing the right direction in the mornings?

What's next?! Maybe they'll have chemists (with no less than a Masters) serving "Big Dairy" interests by administering the proper amount of creamer for my diner coffees!

On second thought...yeah maybe they shouldn't be pumping their own gas in Oregon..

Yeah, I remember the first time I went to Jersey and had to stop to get some gas. I pulled up and jumped out the car to pump gas and the gas station attendant was looking at my like I was crazy. Same thing happened in Oregon.

It is also like that on Martha's Vineyard (Island off coast of Massachusetts).

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Sounds very liberal to me

They shouldn't be allowed to vote either

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Besides being renowned for having the most ethical, moral, and honest politicians in the Union my great state of New Jersey has had a long tradition of letting someone else pump our gasoline. There are two main reason outline in the referenced article below.

Just like the way my great state of New Jersey has produced only the very best POTUS to ever serve, we take great pride in that we don't have to risk getting smelling gasoline on our fingers. It upsets our beautiful, fashionably lean, and sweet talking woman.

Why Is It Illegal to Pump Your Own Gas in New Jersey?

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Sounds very liberal to me

They shouldn't be allowed to vote either

Not allowing people to vote sounds very a hole to me.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

You love it? You think it's great?

Seriously gas smells yummy and should be scented for an aftershave. I spill a little on myself purposely just to brighten my day.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Some people get serious skin irritation from gasoline, I have known quite a few women who experienced a severe rash over the years. That is why they go to the full service gas stations some times. If you get blowback in your eyes, it is not good, I have seen some really bad things happen over the years with gas in the eyes, some on me, some on friends.

I actually think it was better overall when someone pumped the gas. I did that for a year and a half when I was young, a young person recouperates better than older people who have thinning skin.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:41 PM
link   
There were absolutely no self-serve stations when I was young.
It was nice for someone to ask if I needed an oil check as well.
( I always stated "fill it up with oil and check the gas)
Clean my windshield and top off my window washer fluid if I requested.

Lets face it.
The move to self-serve was only in the name of the holy dollar.
I myself am glad to see there are States that did not change.

edit on 9/5/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:41 PM
link   
The only time I have ever had the displeasure of getting gasoline on my hands is using one of those silly no drip/spill safety gas cans that are now mandated. It seems a bit funky to me that I had never spilled gas in my life up until then, and I have been pumping / pouring gas a heck of a lot in my life.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

As usual, I admire your medical and pharmacological insight.

Anyone with irritations can ask for service (same as it's usually posted that anyone with disabilities can call for assistance.)

But is this something that really needs to include a fine and possible arrest? Does this really need to be made illegal?

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Well thank god a few states have sense and I can enjoy the opportunity of having full service once again. Look.. I dont want to pump my own gas. Thats what I have a husband and children for. If I want to smell the good smell of gasoline Ill go hang my head over the 4 wheeler tank till the birds start tweeting real fast...

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:45 PM
link   
It certainly is good for jobs.

Pregnant women should not inhale gas fumes.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
It certainly is good for jobs.

Pregnant women should not inhale gas fumes.

Well, easy. Don't go a-huffin' on aquarium hosing to siphon up the old dirt wheeler and they'll be fine.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:54 PM
link   

As usual, I admire your medical and pharmacological insight.

Anyone with irritations can ask for service.

But is this something that really needs to include a fine and possible arrest?

Back in the seventies when I worked pumping gas, it was not allowed for a customer to pump their own gas. Insurance did not cover a person pumping their own gas and if someone did try to pump their own, the cops could be called. I could not even pump my own gas when I was not working. If we were on the clock, then we could.

At a full serve without a full serve gas pump, you cannot pump your own gas. There is not always a remote station inside, someone can pump some, and reset the pump and then start pumping again and steal gas. Most stations here need a manual reset inside to engage the pump. But there are still a couple of stations here that do not use that technology, someone could easily cancel out many gallons of gas by hitting the handle. It costs a lot to upgrade pumps, some small service stations still do it full service.

I do not know any gas station that is self serve here that has workers pump gas, I doubt if their insurance would cover a worker pumping gas in a self serve station. Not saying some worker wouldn't do it anyway if the boss was not around, but when there is only one tender inside, they cannot leave that store, money could disappear.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

I remember driving through Oregon the first time years and years ago. And all the smaller places and towns they would have somebody doing it.

At first I thought it was freaking strange, or who knows maybe they want a tip, or who knows whats up ancient oregonian custom. No joke, at one gas station there was this older lady working who was at the cash register, and insisted on pumping the gas for me, and she had a parrot on her shoulder the whole time, going back and forth, from the register to the pump.

Maybe if she had a eyepatch as well, I would have given her a tip, but it feels weird to give people tips for pumping your gas, most especially when your in a hurry and just need to fuel up and go and shes talking with her parrot. Its pretty amazing though, the bird did not poop once the whole time, usually birds poop at random like crazy.

Also head up north and having a stranger pump your gas for you, is not a safe bet. In some places, I would not park your car overnight as if you have a jeep or a truck withouth a gas lock, they will steel your gas overnight, and you definitely dont let strangers pump you gas for you in those areas. It would just be bizzare to even think about.

So ya, just depends on were your at, I guess.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 12:29 AM
link   
"I don't like the smell of gas", "I don't want it on my clothes", "I never pumped my own gas and I never will", what whinny cry babies!

They'd never survive if they needed to siphon gas by sucking on a hose to get it started. It is actually sweat when it gets in your mouth, uh, from what my, uh, friend old me when he would siphon gas when he needed to.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Seriously gas smells yummy and should be scented for an aftershave. I spill a little on myself purposely just to brighten my day.

lol, you’d probably get on well if all those Aboriginals up north over here in Australia. They seem to love the smell to, so much so that you see them all hanging out in the park with cans of the stuff... I guess petrol brightens their day as well.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Who the hell is getting petrol on their hands. the pumps are made to simply stick the nozzle in, and it stops when it's full.

Unless you live in a really old place, I suppose. like the 20's...

AND they're labelled.. perhaps if you don't even know what sort of petrol your vehicle takes.. idk..

We used to have full service and self service stations here.. I'd rather fill my own tank, thanks.. what smell of petrol?? lol

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 03:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

lol, you’d probably get on well if all those Aboriginals up north over here in Australia. They seem to love the smell to, so much so that you see them all hanging out in the park with cans of the stuff... I guess petrol brightens their day as well.

remember when coke had those chrome coloured bottles.. oh wait, was it real, or just on the train line.. I think it was a short lived reality.

Still, huffers will huff...

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I was a gas attendant. That was my first job in NJ.

I understood gas attendants are very important. They keep the people moving.

They're iconic old school survivors like those shoeshiners in southern states.

We already lost the milkman and the paperboy forever.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join