It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Anti - Open Carry Epidemic

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:12 PM
link   
in terms of deterent open carry helps women more than anything. They are an easy target for your average thug. If they open carry your average crook doesnt want to take the risk and moves on to find an easier target. So this is really an attack on women more than anything else.

personally I dont open carry but I think its great. If everyone who could do it did it we would have a more polite society. I choose to keep a low profile and attract as little attention as possible but its difficult sometimes.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: Identified
Might as well start a thread that lists the places that are now "requesting" customers not to open carry firearms in their establishments.

Walmart
Sams Club
Kroger
Fred Meyer
CVS
Walgreens
Wegmans

This is only the beginning...

When I see a person openly wearing a sidearm in public, I usually think that the person is a trustworthy individual, as they most likely have a permit to carry (at least in my state).
What about the gangbangers that have baggie pants to cover the fact that they are carrying concealed? Those would be the ones to be worried about.

I know some real jerks that would open carry if they could, just to make themselves look more powerful. Our local communities do not allow open carry. A person can get a conceiled weapon, that is not effected by open carry. Some people get pretty stressed when they see someone with a gun on their side, why should those people have to worry. If they did allow open carry in these town, some of the biggest local jerks would be carrying them and acting like they are all powerful.

I know people around here, I know how bad of an idea it would be to allow open carry, at least if these guys have concealed permits, they are regulated by laws that say they cannot carry it in the open in those towns. People will not feel intimidated. Open carry by people often does not mean they are licensed to carry a gun, I can carry a gun out of the towns here on side of the road, no license required. If no regulations in the towns were there, anyone could open carry, there are real small towns around here that allow anyone to open carry, those towns are that way because of bears and skunks and animals being a problem. They regulate their own people and if some half cocked guy moves into that community, they get out their guns and drive them out of town. Those areas are small, maybe twenty to fifty houses or so, I do not know if they are the same way anymore, that was twenty years ago.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Im an older female whos 5 foot nothing who lives now in Illinois. The laws and etc are so absurd here about CCW and etc that I just suddenly didnt care anymore. If Im going into a shady place, I dont care if I have a permit or not. We can hash that out in court if I ever have to shoot in self defense or defense of another. The absurdity of the CCW and open carry debate really arent worth the time anymore. I could be wrong.. Im wrong about a lot of things.. but I really get my hair up when someone tells me I cant protect myself.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: agenda51
a reply to: Advantage

I dont think I could go fishing in Gator territory without a decent supply of tannerite in the boat.... just in case Son of Gomek makes an appearance. Some pretty darn mean fish down there too.

No telling what you might run into in Florida.... tiger...black panther....swamp monster....CIA black ops etc. anything can happen.

Weaponized nutria give me nightmares.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:21 PM
link   

in terms of deterent open carry helps women more than anything. They are an easy target for your average thug. If they open carry your average crook doesnt want to take the risk and moves on to find an easier target. So this is really an attack on women more than anything else.

How about the non average crook that will take the gun away from her and use it on her and then someone else?

CCW and open carry comes with a lot of responsibilities. To a real crook, open carry just means a free gun.
edit on 5-9-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

most of those guys from 20 years ago became Law Enforcement and are 80-125 pounds overweight now.

People should check out how "open" firearms are in isreal. The anti gun mental patients would have psycotic breaks if they saw the pictures about teachers with rifles slung over the shoulder LOL.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Please cite some examples or sources where this has happened.

Firearm retention is a real thing, but I'd really like to see some examples.

Don't just throw out theory, let's see some sources.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

I actually agree 100% I conceal carry almost every where I go. When I see people open carry, I can just picture that person being the one running out the door when sh# does hit the fan. Most open carry for the looks and the false bravado. I conceal carry for the safety of my family and I, but if a situation happened where I could be of assistance, I definitely will help out. Actually that's the reason I prefer fall and winter to summer, it much easier to hide a weapon whilst wearing a hoodie and jeans than shorts and a tee.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

Hence my point, girl!

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Oppositeoftruth

You're high!

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:28 PM
link   

as apposed to what... being defenseless and a sitting duck?

Like I said... this is all an attack on women. So much for empowering women.

BTW ... most thugs are going to assume if a person is carrying a firearm they are going to know how to use it. They are stupid but most are not suicidal.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: agenda51

The fact of the matter is...trying to disarm an armed person overwhelmingly results in an accidental discharge (AD) which mortally wounds or severly wounds the perpetrator. Those are the facts.

That's why I don't like people pulling silly MSM propaganda out of their butt hole.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: agenda51

The fact of the matter is...trying to disarm an armed person overwhelmingly results in an accidental discharge (AD) which mortally wounds or severly wounds the perpetrator. Those are the facts.

That's why I don't like people pulling silly MSM propaganda out of their butt hole.

it happens...

www.lawenforcementtoday.com...
edit on 5-9-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

How about the non average crook that will take the gun away from her and use it on her and then someone else?

CCW and open carry comes with a lot of responsibilities. To a real crook, open carry just means a free gun.

I dare someone to take my doritos away Olaru... containing a firearm or not. Besides, those concealed carry purses are UGLY and an open carry holster really throws off my "harmless straight arrow" disguise, not to mention my clothing ensemble. You have to realize that so many of us average Americans arent dumbasses or victims.. regardless of what you are told.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:26 AM
link   

I don't know the full story from your link but it sounds like the cop was there responding to a mother requesting her mental son be removed from her home. Maybe, just maybe, the cop didn't want to have to kill the son and unfortunately allowed compassion to overrule her own safety.

There will naturally be cases where someone has their gun taken from them and used against them. It even happens to LEO, but studies have shown that even novices (people who have no or limited familiarity with firearms) have a 75% hit accuracy at distances from 3 to 15 ft. This is the distances at which most self defense shootings occurs.

Most people won't allow a person intent on doing them harm to get close enough to take the weapon and will shoot before they reach them.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

I know some real jerks that would open carry if they could, just to make themselves look more powerful. Our local communities do not allow open carry. A person can get a conceiled weapon, that is not effected by open carry. Some people get pretty stressed when they see someone with a gun on their side, why should those people have to worry. If they did allow open carry in these town, some of the biggest local jerks would be carrying them and acting like they are all powerful.

I'd like to know the name of the town that doesn't allow cops to open carry.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   
These "requests" are already causing a headache for police across the country and I foresee an incident where it's going to cause someone who isn't doing anything illegal to be shot and killed.

Des Moines, Iowa - Johnson County Sheriff's Office responding to these "requests" not to open carry:

"If it's something from, or as simple as, somebody just saw somebody open carrying and that's the only information we have, that might be exactly what it is, a person is exercising their right and not doing anything illegal . If there was some sort of altercation or conflict leading up to it, that's going to vary our response."

Oh but wait let's call more guys with guns who are now wary of someone doing nothing illegal.

"If a person does choose to open carry, they're now introducing the clear awareness that a firearm is present in any situation. And even though the person possessing the gun or the gun owner can be doing everything right, can be exercising all safety precautions, you still can't control behavior of other people in your surroundings. So it adds that element of the unknown to one or a group of strangers- it just depends on your environment."

Maybe everyone needs to calm down and realize you can't control the behavior of other people in your surroundings so stop overreacting to your irrational fear of seeing an inanimate object and expecting everyone else around you to cater to your every "feelz" and "scaredz".

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: KKLOCO
Why would anyone need to carry a gun in one of these business establishments?

To impress the ladies with their masculinity. It's like the avatars of some member sporting a superhero with big muscles and pointing an obvious phallic symbol at you. Some American males deal with their insecurities in a very peculiar manner.

Even some female ATS members feel the need to express their masculinity, makes you wonder, eh?

no doubt. some even tell wild stories about how amazingly successful they are, just to make up for a small pee pee. But it's the internet, so what are you going to do?

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   
The bottom line is conditioning. If people see something day in, day out here there and everywhere and nothing bad happens they become used to it and do not fear it. If something is out of place, strange and unusual, fear creeps in in the form of suspicion.

The banning of open carry is to make a visibly carried firearm become a suspicious activity. A threat to the cautious. The media has made the association of gun=killing in the minds of far too many. This is the next step. Gun owners see it as it is and the anti-gunners wouldn’t care if they see it for what it is as well.

Move a New Yorker to Rural Oklahoma and they will culture shock seeing all the open carry. Of course the locals will be leery of the funny talking New York as well. But that is the core of prejudice...fearing the out of ordinary.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

All these stores have created a risk rather than mitigate one and all because some people are uncomfortable.

I honestly don't know what the legal departments of these companies were thinking.

Oh well, they will learn after the first incident and lawsuit.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join