It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Anti - Open Carry Epidemic

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Let’s compare some common firearms shall we?

Beretta 92FS
Action Single/Double
Barrel length (mm) 125
Barrel length (in) 4.9
Caliber 9x19 (PARA)
Magazine 15
Overall height (mm) 137
Overall height (in) 5.4
Overall length (mm) 217
Overall length (in) 8.5
Overall width (mm) 38
Overall width (in) 1.5
Sight radius (in) 6.1
Sight radius (mm) 155
Weight unloaded (g) 945
Weight unloaded (OZ) 33.3

My personal favorite pistol, very accurate, feels comfortable to shoot light enough recoil for quick follow up shots. You CAN conceal this 8.5 inch long 2 lbs but only with a shoulder rig and bulky coat. Hardest part to not profile is the grip due to being 1.5 inches thick. If this is your only pistol, odds are you either open carry or don’t carry at all.

Beretta Nano

Action Striker
Barrel length (mm) 78
Barrel length (in) 3
Caliber 9x19 (PARA)
Magazine 6
Overall height (mm) 106
Overall height (in) 4.17
Overall length (mm) 143
Overall length (in) 5.63
Overall width (mm) 23
Overall width (in) 0.9
Weight unloaded (g) 562
Weight unloaded (OZ) 19.8

Very easy to conceal, very lightweight, longer pause to re-acquire target. Not as accurate out of the box (laser upgrade fixes that). You could open carry but would be better to conceal.

Ruger LC9
Capacity 7+1
Slide Material Through-Hardened Alloy Steel
Barrel Material Alloy Steel
Barrel Length 3.12"
Grip FrameBlack, High Performance, Glass-Filled Nylon
Slide Finish Blued
Barrel Finish Blued
Width 0.90"
SightsDrift Adjustable 3-Dot
Weight 17.2 oz.
Feature Standard Model
Overall Length 6"
Height 4.50"

Still easy to conceal and very close to size of the Nano above.

Now if you have a Taurus Curve, keep it hidden at all times. Seriously, don’t even pull it out if needed. The laughter will be the cruelest you’ll ever experience. But seriously super concealable although slightly larger than a Beretta Pico it hides better. Personally I don’t trust it or the Pico for that matter as there have been firing pin problems with a Pico that has been dry fired prior to an update to the gun.

I can hide a bayonet with a 17 inch blade with the right preparation, quickly retrieve it and make it ready for action. But then again I can remain hidden in a lit auditorium standing center stage if I want to as well. Here in Ohio, where Kroger’s is headquartered you must have a permit to conceal a firearm, but open carry is legal.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Identified
a reply to: LordAhriman

Brandishing has a legal definition. Open Carry is not brandishing.

It is. Seek a dictionary.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The Civil Rights Act changed that dynamic. Businesses can be told to respect the rights of others.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: butcherguy

It is my opinion that a person that says they have no fear is full of bluster.

I'm actually not. Whether you believe that or not, I really don't care.

If you are carrying a weapon, you are being prepared.

Same reason I carry a first aid kit, sanitary wipes, etc. Doesn't mean I'm scared. Just prepared.

But I doubt I'll ever have to use the first aid kit, or the gun, but I have them. And it's better to have them than not, should others need help.

To some people someone carrying a gun means you are afraid.

I just call it being prepared.

I have a fire extinguisher on my truck.

Doesn't mean I'm afraid of fire, but it would be really useful if I need it and it would be really stupid of me if I didn't have one, because of my occupation.

SoOo... now there are more and more mass shootings out there, political divisiveness, people like AntiFA running around where I sometimes shop in Oregon, nutjobs who want to kill people.

Being prepared doesn't mean I'm scared of anything.

It just means I'm prepared for the eventuality.

I've no idea why some people don't "get" that... but they have a first aid kit at home.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

Brandishing has a legal definition. Open Carry is not brandishing.

It is. Seek a dictionary.

Ok:

www.merriam-webster.com...

Definition of brandish (Entry 1 of 2)
transitive verb

1: to shake or wave (something, such as a weapon) menacingly
brandished a knife at them
2: to exhibit in an ostentatious or aggressive manner
brandishing her intellect

www.merriam-webster.com...

Definition of open carry
US
: the act or practice of carrying a firearm openly in public or the legal right to do so
In Pennsylvania, open carry is generally allowed without a license, but Philadelphia does require a license.
— Joshua Gillin
The next frontier for gun-rights advocates is "open carry," epitomized last year by protests in which permitted gun owners carried firearms in plain view at Starbucks coffee shops.
— Patrik Jonsson
Three more states ban concealed carry but not open carry.
— Hank Johnson and Mitch Seabaugh
—often used before another noun
open carry laws/legislation
— compare CONCEALED CARRY

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   
It's like walking up to a victim of "legitimate rape" and saying, "I'm gonna rape you." Then saying, "Freedom of speech! First amendment! Muh CONSTUTION!"

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Liquesence

It is discrimination. Discrimination against someone exercising their constitutional right.

I have the right to do a thing, but it's no good if I cannot do it anywhere because nowhere allows it.

Sort of like smoking, huh?

Of course, it shall not be infringed, so ....

And my service is not a public service. It's the service of a private business that I choose to offer to some members of the public. Isn't that the platform under which much of what big companies are getting away with takes place these days? They are a private business ... They can do as they like ...

Is there a Constitutional right to open carry? Therefore, no discrimination.

Is there a constitutional right to smoke? Therefore, no discrimination.

But if you operate a business that serves the public, you cannot legally deny people or discriminate against them: gay, black, etc. Carrying firearms or smoking is not legally covered insofar as discrimination is concerned, so businesses can do what they like.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: Liquesence

It is my opinion that a person that says they have no fear is full of bluster.

I'm actually not. Whether you believe that or not, I really don't care.

If you are carrying a weapon, you are being prepared.

Same reason I carry a first aid kit, sanitary wipes, etc. Doesn't mean I'm scared. Just prepared.

But I doubt I'll ever have to use the first aid kit, or the gun, but I have them. And it's better to have them than not, should others need help.

To some people someone carrying a gun means you are afraid.

I just call it being prepared.

I have a fire extinguisher on my truck.

Doesn't mean I'm afraid of fire, but it would be really useful if I need it and it would be really stupid of me if I didn't have one, because of my occupation.

SoOo... now there are more and more mass shootings out there, political divisiveness, people like AntiFA running around where I sometimes shop in Oregon, nutjobs who want to kill people.

Being prepared doesn't mean I'm scared of anything.

It just means I'm prepared for the eventuality.

I've no idea why some people don't "get" that... but they have a first aid kit at home.

It sounds like you're, um, kinda agreeing with me?

link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
It's like walking up to a victim of "legitimate rape" and saying, "I'm gonna rape you." Then saying, "Freedom of speech! First amendment! Muh CONSTUTION!"

Your infantile comparisons and emotional outbursts don't prove your point, it just makes it harder to take you seriously.

link   
a reply to: Identified

Right to a degree I Think. But the ''request'' is just the first step. Open carry can be passed off as making people # themsleves in the store and they don't want that. It could drive away costumers.

But your right. I guess they will have to post it. That won't cost them much though.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

The Civil Rights Act changed that dynamic. Businesses can be told to respect the rights of others.

And clearly some rights are more equal than others these days even though they aren't actually in the COTUS.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Might as well start a thread that lists the places that are now "requesting" customers not to open carry firearms in their establishments.

Walmart
Sams Club
Kroger
Fred Meyer
CVS
Walgreens
Wegmans

This is only the beginning...

How would they know?

Edit: Oh I see...it's only a REQUEST.
edit on 9/5/2019 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Or do you mean "feared" respect?

Good point.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:33 PM
link   

You could say that it's part of keeping and bearing arms. Open carry is under the bearing arms part, and it's all part of a persons unalienable right to defend themselves.

Is a knife a weapon? Do they allow people to walk into their establishments carrying knives? Why allow one type of weapon and not another? Why allow one class of person the right to self-defense, to keep and bear legal arms, but not the other? They are discriminating based on the type of arms even though both are legal to have and carry.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

I like your point here butcher. A person with a side arm in open carry should demand respect from all that pass. However I, myself do not extend that respect to someone open carrying a Thompson Sub-machine gun over his shoulder. Or her shoulder.

That guy with Thompson deserves respect just for the fact that he went through all the bullsh!t and paid the 6K for a license to even own one. Then there is the fact they will cost you up to 14K for the gun itself then I would definitely respect such an enthusiast. That's 20K just to own a piece of American history how can you not respect that.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   

That's what I don't understand about any of this fear. They aren't seeing the many people who carry concealed so why aren't they scared of that? I can pull out a concealed gun and do the exact same thing an open carry can do with his gun.

I'm sure the entire "he has a bulge in his pocket and it could be weapon" will be the next fear that will necessitate them "requesting" people not scare people by having bulges that might be a weapon.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:40 PM
link   

You could say that it's part of keeping and bearing arms. Open carry is under the bearing arms part, and it's all part of a persons unalienable right to defend themselves.

States' laws say otherwise. People can own, but cannot carry unrestricted in public.

Is a knife a weapon? Do they allow people to walk into their establishments carrying knives?

Some laws and statues do, depending on length of the blade. But is it "enforced?"

Additional point: these businesses "request" no open carry, but if there is no law against it people carry as they wish, no?

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:48 PM
link   
they will ask you to leave the store at the most.

social justice jerkoff session

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:48 PM
link   

It's exactly nothing like that.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join