It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Anti - Open Carry Epidemic

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Thats why I don't understand why people are so upset and stores asking people not too. Esp. in states that have pretty liberal concealed carry laws. Its not like Walmart is going to search you prior to entry

Why open when you can conceal?

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I notice that the nays here are citing their own issues about the type of people that open carry. Remember the police have NO duty to defend you, they are really only required to take the report after the crime. Most of the dissent is factored around views of the carriers masculinity, well at least it is honest w/open carry. Trouble is not likely to come from someone displaying their pistol, it will come from someone concealing a pistol. With the wide spread use of cameras these days that makes them easy to spot before trouble starts or at least identify them after the fact. Some states only allow for conceal carry and if those are the laws you must follow them, but if you are criticizing open carry because you conceal carry I may suspect you have the little junk problem because I imagine you carry to make yourself feel special and if you were needed to pull the gun, you wouldn't because you carry only to make yourself feel like a big man

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Whats wrong with concealed carry?

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Why open when you can conceal?

Exactly.

Which is why I personally think it's a masculinity/insecurity issue.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Some will say it falls under the "Shall not be infringed" and ( I think without looking) 45 States allow it and more than half are Permissive States.

But we can slide into the 9th Amendment if the Second is a problem for you.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Identified

How many people open carried before?

I think I've only ever seen one in a hardware store.

It's more common in certain areas. It is not unusual to see someone open carrying in Alaska, mostly because a lot of folks pack big bore handguns for bear and moose protection and you can't easily conceal a 7.5" barrel.

link   
a reply to: FredT

I agree. If I just have to have a gun while buying groceries, it's going to be concealed. I have no problem with the stores saying no.

I've actually been pulled over in CA with a gun in the car, although many years ago. Had it disassembled on the seat in plain site, unloaded and the officer glanced at it but never said a word about it. I volunteered that the ammo was in the trunk and that was good enough. I'd imagine you can longer do that these days.

Idaho you go into a bar, they all have a safe and you put your gun in the safe. Actually did that a time or three when out hunting. Made sense to me they wanted the revolver in the safe and not on my side. Got pulled over there a time or two with a gun in the pocket of the door in the pickup and the officer looked at it but never said a word. Everyone in those days had a rifle or two in the rack and a sidearm in the door or under the seat. I've eaten many a tasty cottontail or grouse because I had a gun close at hand. Different world then.
edit on 9/5/2019 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Identified

Some will say it falls under the "Shall not be infringed" and ( I think without looking) 45 States allow it and more than half are Permissive States.

But we can slide into the 9th Amendment if the Second is a problem for you.

Where does it say or is interpreted that the "right to bear" arms is synonymous with the "right to open carry in public?"
edit on 5-9-2019 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO
Why would anyone need to carry a gun in one of these business establishments?

Because not all sidearms are easily concealable and not all municipalities/states have simple or affordable licensing programs to obtain a CCW. It is, in my esteem, very irresponsible to leave a firearm in a vehicle left in a parking lot.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: contextual
If you need to carry a gun to go shopping maybe think about moving somewhere else?

Moving is one of the hardest, most stressful things a person can go thru. Plus criminals will just migrate to the area you move to in five years and corrupt that city too. Might as well just carry.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

I could almost post the same reply I made in another thread about you tube censorship

All of those names named in the list are corporate owned businesses. They can prevent open carry if they want to. There is no law stopping them from demanding a dress code.

Remember all those signs on store doors? No shirt? No shoes? No service.... This is the same thing. Open carry? No service and no admittance.

They just can't require bathroom usage matching to the guest's biological gender or choose not to decorate a wedding cake for homosexuals, ya? Sorry, it seems like freedom of ownership choice is a disingenuous argument of convenience in this matter, nothing more.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Where does the First Amendment say you have the Right to send a telegram or use a phone?

If confused please proceed to the Amendment #9.

(post by olaru12 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: butcherguy

Might as well start a thread that lists the places that are now "requesting" customers not to open carry firearms in their establishments.

Walmart
Sams Club
Kroger
Fred Meyer
CVS
Walgreens
Wegmans

This is only the beginning...

When I see a person openly wearing a sidearm in public, I usually think that the person is a trustworthy individual, as they most likely have a permit to carry (at least in my state).
What about the gangbangers that have baggie pants to cover the fact that they are carrying concealed? Those would be the ones to be worried about.

I carry concealed, legally.

When I see folks open carrying I think they have some manhood or other insecurity issues. Why the need to flaunt it?

I won’t begin to try and examine the psychological reasons that someone might want to open carry. The only time I have done it was while hunting, for obvious reasons.
My point about the open carry people was that they are secure in their ability to openly carry, meaning that they are probably law abiding.

The bad guys don’t show them off, they are criminals... they don’t want authorities to know that they are armed.
edit on b000000302019-09-05T19:12:52-05:0007America/ChicagoThu, 05 Sep 2019 19:12:52 -0500700000019 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Hefficide

1. Feeling "uneasy" is a very poor rationale these days, honestly. A lot of people feel uneasy about a lot of things which are off limits where laws are concerned... separate but equal stemmed from whites feeling uneasy about sharing spaces with blacks, how'd that go? Conversely, feeling uneasy is not allowed as a reason to bar cross dressers, gays, those with their britches slung low enough to see half a clothed ass, the morbidly obese, or any of a number of other individuals who make many "uneasy" with their presence, so why allow it to be a factor where folks exercising their Constitutional Rights are concerned?

2. Do you have any stats on how many carriers have been mistakenly shot by LEOs during an active shooter event? Surely the numbers must be eye opening, or else such a concern could run the risk of grasping at straws.

link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: ketsuko

How many people open carried before?

I think I've only ever seen one in a hardware store.

It's more common in certain areas. It is not unusual to see someone open carrying in Alaska, mostly because a lot of folks pack big bore handguns for bear and moose protection and you can't easily conceal a 7.5" barrel.

Yeah, it's expected in some places, but in a Walmart the only reason I can see is to intimidate people who it makes uncomfortable.

Face it, we live in a different reality here. In many cities guns are only seen in the hands of gangs and the reality is different. Here my first thought is what a nice gun, in Seattle it would be find cover fast.
edit on 9/5/2019 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO
Why would anyone need to carry a gun in one of these business establishments?

Sometimes it’s helpful to shoot stuff off the top shelf that you can’t reach.
Sometimes you just need to get a sales associates attention

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

a reply to: KKLOCO

Does it matter why someone chooses to legally exercise their second amendment right? That's their business.

Is open carry a Constitutional Right?

"the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
Bear v to carry or bring something.

Seems the answer to that is, uhm, YES!

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Sue them ALL For Criminally Violating your Second Amendment Rights ! Take it to the Supreme Court If you Have To , but Make them PAY for that Particular Offense to the American Public ........

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

My point about the open carry people was that they are secure in their ability to openly carry, meaning that they are probably law abiding.

Or perhaps it makes them feel secure in their ability?

The only time I have done it was while hunting, for obvious reasons.

Yeah, that's different.

The bad guys don’t show them off, they are criminals... they don’t want authorities to know that they are armed.

People legally and psychologically secure in themselves don't need to let everyone know either by open carrying, that's kinda my point.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join