It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So Desperately Sad but Incredibly Angry

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: carsforkids
That was what was meant by the suggestion that the "law" might be ignored. if it tells him to ask for an extension, and he doesn't, what can they do about it? Since Boris has presented himself as someone who will "go for broke", he might just do that- though it would be silly for him to say so until the Commons had finished wasting their time.

P.S.He would need to say so soon after the session, though, for the sake of the ongoing negotiations.

edit on 4-9-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Not trying to be curt just in the middle of making dinner,

Good man thank you!

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

originally posted by: carsforkids
You're right it's over! If the cabinet has to be asked if it would abide by a law?

The problem is that what's on offer is not a true law. It's a series of executive decisions masquerading as a law. The legislature is moving out of its true function.

Its a amendment to the law, if it passes the house of lords which it probably will it will then be ratified by the queen and from there it does become UK law.

This is the function of the legislature to make laws.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   
It is not the function of the legislature to make executive decisions, even though the separation is not as clear cut as in America.
But the real question is whether it is capable of having the practical effect of compelling an action to take place? Have they inserted a penalty clause to cover the possibility of disobedience? If Britain exits the EU illegally, according to this law, it will still be out of the EU under international law.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

That was what was meant by the suggestion that the "law" might be ignored. if it tells him to ask for an extension, and he doesn't, what can they do about it? Since Boris has presented himself as someone who will "go for broke", he might just do that- though it would be silly for him to say so until the Commons had finished wasting their time.

Funny how this just irritates the hell out of me and I'm not even involved
sit'n here in southern Cali. I guess it's just that Philadelphia feeling rising
up in me. At the same time the utter disdain I have watching a people
being marched to tyranny and forced to watch their culture destroyed.
This isn't going to be easy to watch.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Boris is Britain's Trump. Both sides of the political divide agree on that one. If he really does decide to "go for broke", this could actually become quite a fun ride, especially for the non-participants.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Again not wanting to be "curt" but do you know the difference between government and parliament?

I barely saw this and no I thought parliament was a FORM of government?
But I will look that up immediately so I don't put you out schooling my
ignorance on British civics and history. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Boris is Britain's Trump. Both sides of the political divide agree on that one. If he really does decide to "go for broke", this could actually become quite a fun ride, especially for the non-participants.

Man I am on a big learning curve here. I am astounded by the patience of
my fellow members in this thread. I'm off to research and deny ignorance
for a bit.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   
It's matter of word usage.
We British tend to say "the Government" where Americans say "The Administration". Boris and the Cabinet and other minor ministers are "the government".

And what should we call the work of the bureaucracy? I think Americans regard this as "government". We might call it administrative work.

edit on 4-9-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Your screen moniker thru me way off amigo. I had no idea you
were British. Americans maybe, but I regard bureaucracy as big
corporations in control of government. With the goal of control
over everyone and they seem quite feverish to gain the last part.
Almost frenzied. As if it were a vital tipping point where once
gained the claws and teeth come out.

edit on 4-9-2019 by carsforkids because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: solve

Edit, had a quick read,, It still looks the same, The UK wants all the benefits of EU and none of the weight.
The EU demands them to carry more, and they won`t.

This is about the British Parliament and its coup against the British government who were attempting to do what the people voted for , what the EU wants or doesn't want has little to do with it.

Dark forces are at work.

George Soros 'proud' of donating £400,000 to anti-Brexit campaign
www.theguardian.com...

Britain leaving the EU doesn't fit with the Globalist control agenda so it must be stopped.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

This is about the British Parliament and its coup against the British government who were attempting to do what the people voted for , what the EU wants or doesn't want has little to do with it.

How can the sovereign be the perpetrator of the coup.

I am sorry I know you're pissed off, so am I but please, this is not a coup, its a #ing mess, but its not a coup, its a legal mechanism of government that is proper in the terms of parliamentary procedure.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Disraeli was a British Prime Minister. I was looking for a Conservative Prime Minister's name. "Churchill" too grandiose, "Thatcher" wrong sex, "Bonar Law" too obscure to be recognised as such.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
...history will record their duplicitous antidemocratic actions...

Sadly, history records many things...and what good has it done really?

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   

I didn't say she was the perpetrator of the coup.
The coup was perpetrated by those in Parliament who can't accept the choice the people made when asked a question.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

I didn't say she was the perpetrator of the coup.
The coup was perpetrated by those in Parliament who can't accept the choice the people made when asked a question.

Parliament is sovereign this has passed with the majority of parliament, we live in a parliamentary democracy so can you please explain how that is a coup?

Its not.

You might hate that they're doing it but its not a coup, its a mess. We live in a parliamentary democracy, that has always been how things works.

Unless their are tanks on the lawn of Westminster with Corbyn marching Boris out of number 10 at gun point I don't get how you can call this coup. A coup is a over throughing off government through illegal means and none of this is illegal.
edit on 4-9-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Parliament is sovereign

The expression I was taught (a long time ago, admittedly) was "The-Queen-IN-Parliament", i.e. the combination.
And anyone still using the 1662 prayer book will be praying for "Our Sovereign lady, Elizabeth our Queen".

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Parliament is sovereign

The expression I was taught (a long time ago, admittedly) was "The-Queen-IN-Parliament", i.e. the combination.
And anyone still using the 1662 prayer book will be praying for "Our Sovereign lady, Elizabeth our Queen".

That might be true, my 1662 prayer book memory is a little rusty but in 2019, Parliament is sovereign
edit on 4-9-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I think the theory is that the Queen is one of the three elements of Parliament, so should be included in any understanding of Parliamentary sovereignty.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join