It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan becomes first state to ban sales of flavored e-cigarettes

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: o0oTOPCATo0o
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I saw this from a local news station (in MI) and asked the reporter, if this only applies to pre-packaged e-cigs (Juul, Blu, ect) or if it also applied to the jars of flavored oils for the bigger vapes.

There have been a lot of 'vape shops' that have opened here in Michigan over the past few years. If they are not allowed to sell flavored oil, most will surly fold. BIG hit to lacal businesses.
The reporter has not (and probably will not) got back to me.
Neither of the two articles I have read have made the distinction.
Do you happen to know?

The money will be in DIY solutions. I see no reason why someone couldn't sell FDA approved flavorings to people. I can't buy my favorite vanilla custard....but if they'd sell a wild and a mild custard, maybe some vanilla, etc....i can mix my own.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   

There have been recent reports that up to 80% of the THC oil cartridges on the market today are black-market counterfeits. Known and reputable brands are having knock-offs being sold (complete with illegal copies of their logos, etc.).
edit on 9/4/19 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   
You can't legally buy nicotine products (shisha, e-juice) in most Australian states. I have to get mine from New Zealand. With so many side stores opening up, it's not going to be too far fetched that corners will be cut. I know my juice is safe, well, as safe as knowingly possible this far into it all, but I really think it's to do with dodgy shops making a buck.

Heck, one store I was at recently sell just flavour and coils, they aren't allowed to sell mods if they sell the juice.

Ultimately I see an elicit online trade of who knows what from god knows where, with blanket legislation..

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

This is a prime display of lobbying your representatives to protect poisonous industry.

That was something lingering in the back of my mind while I was reading this... I'll check out OpenSecrets and see if I can find any real links.

To the rest, of your statement as well, I completely agree. Our society has become hilarious on what it decides to be outraged about. Many parents are flipping their lid that their kid might vape in the limited free time they have away from school teachers and family.... And ironically these are the same parents who won't didn't think twice about having that teenager on Adderal (or salt-amphetamines) since the kid was 10. Or letting them have soda with every meal.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I heard about an elderly lady who worked in a cloth cleaning company and had worked with steam around her all her life. She got a sickness from it in her lungs.

Always wondered if those e-cigarettes are only exchanging one risk for a nother one.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Oleandra88

Always wondered if those e-cigarettes are only exchanging one risk for a nother one.

I definitely think so if you have no intentions of quiting the e-cig. But if you use it properly and with moderation, like anything I'm sure you'd be find.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: Gargoyle91

I'm at the lowest nicotine level 3mg so i'm considering giving it up completely .

I think that should be everyone's mission. I don't believe it's healthy, but I would say if you were using it to get off of nicotine completely, than yes, that is healthier in the long run.

Side note, maybe while you're weening off the CBD juice might alleviate some of that discomfort.

the jury is still out on how unhealthy it might be. But something about it just seems like it's a bad idea, like smoking.
But folks will do what they want regardless of laws. Look for a booming black market in Michigan with kids selling vapes on every corner. Prohibition always works so wonderful.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

I do not know if it is just pre-packaged or all ejuice...

But if I had to take a guess, I'd say all of it. This wouldn't be the first time Michigan tanked one of their big industries overnight. I remember they went from allowing weed dispensaries to only allowing you to get it from your "care taker".

To be fair, it wasn't hard to notice how our state suddenly became inundated with "medical problems" that could miraculously be cured by smoking dope. Heck, we have a law firm in Royal Oak that specializes in getting permits for medical marijuana.

Edit: Also, the weed shops were constantly getting robbed. The neighbors didn't like that much, or the fact that many of the "patients" would just light up and get high in their neighborhood.
edit on 4-9-2019 by AndyFromMichigan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

To be fair, it wasn't hard to notice how our state suddenly became inundated with "medical problems" that could miraculously be cured by smoking dope. Heck, we have a law firm in Royal Oak that specializes in getting permits for medical marijuana.

My Mom lives up in Michigan, and I go up a few times a year. I remember when that happened, there was gaudy advertisement everywhere claiming it would cure everything just like you said.

I'm actually all for legalization of the stuff, but that was horrendous to see. While it can certainly treat many ailments, claiming it can treat or cure everything is selling snake oil.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Oleandra88

My guess, and that's all it is, is that yes there will be some risk involved. The human lungs are not designed with vaping in mind.

I quit smoking long ago, save for the very occasional cigar, and I certainly wouldn't have replaced it with vaping. Sucking things into ones lungs, other than air, generally isn't a good thing to do...

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:23 PM
link   
From what I hear, Colorado has had a similar experience, with people complaining about potheads hanging around everywhere, and a huge increase in people driving under the influence.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Not sure why anyone expected anything different to happen??

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I smoked for about 10 years and quit cold turkey after switching to vaping. Cigarettes are addictive, as any smoker can tell you. When I switched to vaping, I had no withdrawal, no cravings, nothing. When I quit vaping, same thing. Vaping made quitting completely effortless. It is, without any doubt whatsoever, an excellent tool for quitting cigarettes.
I know there's a huge debate about the safety of vaping, but honestly, look at all the stuff in cigarettes - arsenic, cadmium, polonium, hydrogen cyanide... Would you rather have someone inhaling radioactive metals and chemicals literally used to kill people, or vaporized nicotine water?
I think the major problem with vaping is when people buy cheap juice that isn't fit for consumption, or hardware that isn't safe to use, like when it's prone to violently exploding or has materials that burn. There is a huge difference between some cheap gas-station vape pen with Chinese-made liquid in it and a high-quality American-made product that has been tested as safe for use. If you're inhaling stuff that came from China, God only knows what you're putting in your body.
As for banning e-cigarettes... Will that lead to less kids using them? Probably. But it'll also lead to more kids smoking real cigarettes.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
From what I hear, Colorado has had a similar experience, with people complaining about potheads hanging around everywhere, and a huge increase in people driving under the influence.

That's because so many of them moved there from across the country to cash in. But generally speaking, they're everywhere across the country, most just keep it on the down low. Like e-cigs, there is a period of transition, and some pros and cons when new legislation is made especially with the legalization or criminalization of something. Overall, I think if the whole country legalized weed though it would do more good than harm. It's had a measurable decline in the addiction to harder substances in areas it is legal.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Sure ban the flavored e-cigs, but not the menthol real cigs or cherry flavored cigars? Because why exactly?

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Sure ban the flavored e-cigs, but not the menthol real cigs or cherry flavored cigars? Because why exactly?

The FDA will also pursue bans on menthol cigarettes and flavored cigars.
CNBC

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oleandra88

That is probably the case. But we all have to choose the ways we deal with this horror of existence, and we're always trying to balance the risks with the rewards. It's not like you can completely eliminate the toxic chemicals in your environment, so you have to pick. Freedom comes with you being able to choose.

Perhaps vaping nicotine and not getting so many (or at least different kinds of) toxic chemicals in you is the way to go if you want to perhaps live a little longer while still enjoying the obvious and well-understood psychological benefits of nicotine.

If it turns out the vape juice is just as bad or even worse than inhaling actual hot tar / carbon smoke, then... oops. It probably won't make any difference in the long run. We're all gonna die of something, either heart disease, cancer or "complications," whether we purposely ingest this stuff or whether we're strict non-smoking vegans who drink nothing but pure alkaline water.

I once read that a single (real) cigarette is about as detrimental to a person's health as a single french fry. Yet nobody is regulating those. Picking and choosing the ways we want to kill ourselves to live.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I don't like the idea of the governor making this call.
Leave it up to the counties.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
Sounds even more dangerous to me.
Leave it to gov't to try and make something safe, but making it less safe.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Big win for the tobacco lobby. Wonder how much moolah they have given to trump and other Republicans?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join