It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan becomes first state to ban sales of flavored e-cigarettes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Michigan is the first state to ban sales of flavored e-cigarettes in a move the governor says will curb teen vaping.

Whitmer, a Democrat, used her executive authority to impose a six-month ban on the sale of flavored e-cigarettes. The ban can be renewed for another six months. Whitmer told MSNBC in an interview Wednesday morning that she hopes Michigan lawmakers will write the ban into law.
CNBC

Interesting move in Michigan. Here in Virginia, to combat teen smoking/vaping, the age to buy just got bumped up to 21 for any nicotine products.

I think that this is a pretty dramatic step for Michigan though, as it will cut access to a tool used by many to ween off of smoking tobacco. I understand that teens will find their way to get their hands on age restricted items, but removing all of that even for adults seems like modern day prohibition.

What does ATS think, is it worth combating teen vaping by removing such a wide piece of the market, or is this an infringement on adult freedoms to have access to alternatives to tobacco use? Keep in mind, the act of smoking being replaced by vapor has changed their ability to quit, whereas a patch or gum doesn't mimic the whole habit.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Logic says alcohol must be drank in it natural form too. Imagine what that would do to the liquor industry. It's unimaginable.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I think education, parenting, family and strong communities are the answers that support good choices, not more laws restricting more freedoms.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheGreatWork
Logic says alcohol must be drank in it natural form too. Imagine what that would do to the liquor industry. It's unimaginable.

There are states and localities that are dry, only offer beer or wine, or even only offer light alcohol content beer... So your point has real world examples, and at the end of the day, localities do get to decide if they want to be more stringent on certain things.

Personally though, if I lived in Michigan, I'd be a little irritated at not being able to have access to these tools. Ideally, I want to quit smoking, and I have a vape myself... I've had ups and downs with it, but I can tell you after a few weeks I definitely feel better. The end goal would be to get off of all of it just from a health and financial standpoint, but being able to ween off is a nice option.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

I think education, parenting, family and strong communities are the answers that support good choices, not more laws restricting more freedoms.

I think your comment rings very true, and could be applied to almost everything besides this thread.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I'm usually against these kind of restriction as I'm opposed to over regulation in General, but in this case I will make an exception as the flavored cartridges are being marketed to women and children, just like flavored cigarettes were back in the day. We've seen these tactics a before from big tobacco. It was wrong then and it is wrong now.

That said, I don't think they fit will make any difference as people who simply mail order theirs in from another state, or from places like China.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

I'm usually against these kind of restriction as I'm opposed to over regulation in General, but in this case I will make an exception as the flavored cartridges are being marketed to women and children, just like flavored cigarettes were back in the day. We've seen these tactics a before from big tobacco. It was wrong then and it is wrong now.

I get the kids part, but women? They're adults, they can make their own decisions.

That said, I think an argument could be made that soda is worse for many kids who aren't raised right, never drinking water. It can lead to obesity and even diabetes. So where do we stop?

That said, I don't think they fit will make any difference as people who simply mail order theirs in from another state, or from places like China.

From the link in OP-

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer directed the state health department to issue emergency rules to ban the sale of flavored nicotine vaping products in stores and online, the governor’s office said Wednesday.

So domestic won't fly, and if they get it from China, they will be risking a lot more.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:31 AM
link   
No question vaping is being heavily marketed to teens. It's how the tobacco industry plans to hook a new generation of addicts.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I quit smoking cigarettes by vaping. So which is worse kids exposed to tobacco smoke or vape smoke? Oh well, glad I don't live in Michigan.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: AaarghZombies

I get the kids part, but women? They're adults, they can make their own decisions.

Flavored cigarettes are basically the wine cooler of the tobacco world. They were & still are marketed mainly to women.

Remember, we are talking about an addictive chemical here. RJ Reynolds knows that if they get you to try it, there's a good change you'll become physically dependent on their product.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I've been vaping since before it was a thing , I can tell you it's changed companies are experimenting with to many flavor options for years I have never had a problem with any of the liquids I tried, But now I have to be careful of which ones I use because some of the ingredients don't agree with me anything from causing serve ringing in my ears to my entire nasal passage swelling up and my ear felling like it's totally clogged . I'm at the lowest nicotine level 3mg so i'm considering giving it up completely .
edit on 9/4/2019 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Gargoyle91

I'm at the lowest nicotine level 3mg so i'm considering giving it up completely .

I think that should be everyone's mission. I don't believe it's healthy, but I would say if you were using it to get off of nicotine completely, than yes, that is healthier in the long run.

Side note, maybe while you're weening off the CBD juice might alleviate some of that discomfort.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Women can do what they wish. I get bombarded with all kinds of marketing... I don't partake in most of the stuff they sell... But I did admit I smoke, which actually rooted back to when I was working at 18 and people got smoke breaks, so I started smoking just to get to take some breaks too. Still weak minded, and no excuse for what I as an adult have to hold myself accountable to.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Vapes are a interesting on.

Because its really only been adopted by the masses in the past decade the eventual effects remain unknown and currently there is a lack of evidence on the long term effects. I know one of the Respiratory Consultants I work with who absolutely hates the things because of this lack of evidence, each of these flavourings use different chemicals and the impact of these chemicals oolong term lung health are yet to be established.

I also think that these are often marketed with teens in mind, the marketing is pretty irresponsible over all, its almost being marketed as healthy and fashionable.

There have also been other health risks out with the long terms effects such as harm caused by drinking the vape fluid and a few deaths have been linked to the use of vapes.

So yeah make it 21.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

In my state it's 21, which I think is fair. 18 makes it too easy for seniors in high school to set up a little side market.

You're also right about there not being much data, and there are actually cases where people develop some serious adverse reactions.

But if you're doing it for 6 months to quit smoking, I'd say it's a good call.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I saw this from a local news station (in MI) and asked the reporter, if this only applies to pre-packaged e-cigs (Juul, Blu, ect) or if it also applied to the jars of flavored oils for the bigger vapes.

There have been a lot of 'vape shops' that have opened here in Michigan over the past few years. If they are not allowed to sell flavored oil, most will surly fold. BIG hit to lacal businesses.
The reporter has not (and probably will not) got back to me.
Neither of the two articles I have read have made the distinction.
Do you happen to know?

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Sounds more like a knee-jerk reaction to the new cases of a recent and unknown "lung disease" being linked to vaping (over 200 cases so far with 1 fatality). As I've attempted to gather more info over the past week it seems to be coming out that it's more likely related to black-market/counterfeit THC oil cartridges flooding the market, but highly sketchy/lazy reporting often seems to insinuate that it's related to nicotine vaping instead.
edit on 9/4/19 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

I do not know if it is just pre-packaged or all ejuice...

But if I had to take a guess, I'd say all of it. This wouldn't be the first time Michigan tanked one of their big industries overnight. I remember they went from allowing weed dispensaries to only allowing you to get it from your "care taker".

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: redmage
Sounds more like a knee-jerk reaction to the new cases of a recent and unknown "lung disease" being linked to vaping (over 200 cases so far with 1 fatality). As I've attempted to gather more info over the past week it seems to be coming out that it's more likely related to black-market/counterfeit THC oil cartridges flooding the market, but highly sketchy/lazy reporting often seems to insinuate that it's related to nicotine vaping instead.

That's a really plausible possibility. I've heard there has been a rise of growers who use scrap plant matter and different methods of extracting to get it into a fluid vape form so they can make money on something they would otherwise throw away or make edibles. Perhaps some of them are using sketchy solvents.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I quit with vaping. I'd have never done it without some flavor in the juice.

I wonder when they'll ban flavors in booze, you know....since teens die in DUI wrecks so frequently. Im sure if the death count of vaping gets to even half of alcohol, the government will act, right?

This is a prime display of lobbying your representatives to protect poisonous industry.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join