It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Night Court is coming

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackfinger
Here I was expecting something to do with Judge Judy......

I suspect the Pentagon will neither confirm nor deny Judge Judy's involvement in this process.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The Acting SecAF has confirmed the A-10 will not be on the cut list in the FY21 budget request.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

They are probably going to have to ensure viable alternatives are already in place before they will be allowed to let the A-10 go.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Majic

I'd be surprised if they were allowed to without a replacement. Congress is dead set against allowing it to go away.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Majic
The A-10 is an awesome plane, but the kinds of battles the U.S. is facing are changing, and a lot of fights are coming in which air supremacy cannot be taken for granted. Tough and low-flying though it may be, the A-10 is vulnerable to increasingly prevalent and sophisticated ground and air threats.

As much as old-timers may roll their eyes, the era of the autonomous drone is upon us, and redirecting the cost of the A-10 and other older programs to provide a range of alternatives for ground attack missions (and not just drones) is likely to improve overall combat effectiveness.

Assuming competent program management, of course, which is hardly a foregone conclusion -- but just as unlikely in legacy programs.

Ok, then lets build a drone around the gau-8.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I'd be surprised if they were allowed to without a replacement. Congress is dead set against allowing it to go away.

I think they're playing a bit of game, too. They know the pols on the hill will continue to fund the A-10 no matter how many times they recommend axing the fleet.

"Here's what I'd spend my budget of $X on. It doesn't include the A-10 because it is a $5 billion dollar investment over the next five years for a noncritical niche capability. Cutting them lets me allocate the money toward critical capabilities we lack".

Congress: "What?! That's crazy talk. Everyone loves the Hog, and there's no direct replacement. Here's the extra money to keep them and maintain the funded priority requests."

And that has basically worked for a decade or so... So they make their common sense request and still know that the A-10 isn't going anywhere or affecting the bottom line too much.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 09:51 PM
link   

a10's are just the best we have right now and have saved alllllllot of people

its guns sound is a weapon and moral boost all in one

we just need a new a10 but we need to keep legacy stuff here.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

i wonder who will end up playing the crowd favorite, Bull

edit on 5-9-2019 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

I was thinking more along the lines of a carrier drone that drops sharks with laser beams attached to their heads into enemy positions, or, depending on budget and regulatory constraints, ill-tempered, mutated sea bass.

Failing that, I suppose GAU-8-equipped battle drones could at least offer an interim solution, provided they had those cool shark-mouth paint jobs that are so fashionable on A-10s.

And, of course, laser beams attached to their heads.

*cough*

Okay, sorry about that. I suppose that's why the Pentagon never returns my calls.

The GAU-8 is an epic weapon, but the A-10s replacement will most likely be a range of options depending on mission specifics.

In addition to larger stealth drones for longer-range or more complex missions, alternatives would probably include precision artillery, smaller "suicide" drones, drone swarms, missiles launched from various air/land/sea platforms such as arsenal planes, mobile missile batteries, networked, distributed launchers on armored fighting vehicles, etc.

Ideally, all combat units would have more than one trick up their sleeves when dealing with close air support and ground attack requirements, and be able to strike both directly and in coordination with other units where feasible.

Or something like that.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   

They will never get rid of the A-10 because our troops wont go into battle without them. The A-10 has saved so many lives in Afghanistan, the planes and the pilots who fly them should be awarded the metal of honor.

You just don't get rid of a machine built so perfect, it can fly into any battle saving our men on the ground, destroy everything, get shot up and still make it home on one wing.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:31 PM
link   

They are probably going to have to ensure viable alternatives are already in place before they will be allowed to let the A-10 go.

Thats the problem, on paper any replacement will be one that looks, flies. has the pilot protection and fights exactly like the A-10. They act like they are trying to replace a Lambo with a Pinto.

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: RudeMarine

They will, because in a fight where we don't have air dominance, or at least superiority, the A-10 won't get anywhere near the battlefield to save those lives. It works amazingly well in a low or no threat environment. In a peer or near peer environment it would either get slaughtered, or not leave the ground until the threat was pushed back far enough.

posted on Sep, 6 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   
And that, of course, is what this is really all about.

A-10s and a lot of similar programs are well-suited for fighting the last war, but the next war isn't going to be like the last war.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   
A couple thoughts. 1 the A-10 was considered for a drone retrofit at some point. Considering the F-16 is now an aerial target the A-10 could be a decent drone wingman or swarm formation around a gen 5 aircraft. The 4th + 5th Gen is already a strategy where the 5th gen attacks air defense and assists the 4th gen. The usaf is considering 1 time aircraft as well.

Thats one idea, a future use but the conventional use ha splenty of tread left. its plain to see that we will have afghanistan type wars for the remainder of the existence of this usa. Africa has been the location of many less reported or cared about conflicts with cas being the main involvement from the west assisting local ground forces and sf’s.

Another theory is that the A-10 could be retrofitted to be completely analog which in the case of an emp attack could do alot of good.

Many only consider the A-10 an outdated ground attack but it can be effective to a degree against more powerful air superiority aircraft. Case in point an A-10 simulated kill of an A-10 has occurred at least once, and having spoken to an F4 phantom amd later a-10 driver even he once achieved a sim kill using A-10 gattling gun extreme range with the help of tight turn radius and terrain against an f-15. Not saying it’s perfect but lets imagine a world where the paradigm chamges and technology reduces the impact of steath and laser’s or dew also reduces the effectiveness of anti air missiles.

I was happy to see A-10’s take on terminator aircraft in a dogfight scene from whichever one that was (4? I didnt watch all of it).

lastly, an A-10 would make a cool fire tanker as well

tldr

I like a-10’s

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

The A-10 is an awesome plane, but the kinds of battles the U.S. is facing are changing,
-- but just as unlikely in legacy programs.

Ok, then lets build a drone around the gau-8.

I don't know what a viable firing time and ammo weight is for
THAT toy Sarge: but there are a couple of Hawks out there
already sporting CO2 lasers. Trust me they can reach out and
torch someone... and it's a long reach.

If Night Court is coming because the Air Force is going to look
kinda antiquated with what the Space Guys are rolling out:
all the better. On the other hand, that beautiful bacon-wrapped
Avenger is still making the cut. Great News, Zaph ROFL.

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   

But in terms of a COIN role or CAS in our present (and showing zero signs of stopping) threat environment it excels. Are you willing to say put an F-35 at risk that low to the ground where sensor fusion and stealth mean little?

I go back to this: The USAF does not really want the CAS role. Its time to re-wright the Key West agreements and let the Army fund CAS

posted on Sep, 8 2019 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Are you willing to say put an F-35 at risk that low to the ground where sensor fusion and stealth mean little? 

No. Why would you when you can drop an SDB or other PGM from altitude and distance and take advantage of the EO DAS and networking capabilities now being deployed and en route?

Nothing will replace the Hog down and dirty in the weeds, and there is definitely a psychological aspect that is unrecoverable, but it doesn't make sense to devote as much money as we are on a single-use, extremely limited platform. Huge fan. Love the A-10. Looking down on A-10's firing the GAU-8 is seared into my retinas. I just don't think it's cost-justified anymore. Certainly not when it looks increasingly likely we will be required to deter or engage near-peers.

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

We had the PGM's and SDB's in the previous and ongoing conflicts and they worked in say Syria etc, but again the A-10 may be more effective in terms of CAS for the very down and dirty reasons you mentioned.

Plus as I have talked about in other threads there is also a cost aspect in terms as well. The A-10 is cheap to operate in a permissive environment. You cannot say that about the F-22, the F-35 etc It cannot be an all stealth force and the USAF is unlikely to allow the 'High" end of their mix to do what is needed to support the ground pounders

posted on Sep, 9 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

I think you are stuck in the past on this. Syria is done, Afghanistan is wrapping up, Iraq has been a closed chapter for years. In short, GWOT is over and very soon there will be no ground pounders anywhere to support anymore.
Of course you'll always have the odd Marine of SpecialOps detachement in Whereeverstan since old habbits die hard, but you wont see any BCT level Army deployments in the future. Nobody has the stomach to repeat that #show again and more importantely, thanks to China it isn't needed anymore to keep the cash flowing.

The A-10 is past its time, it needs to go. Of course it won't and since it's still around it will continued to be used, enabling proponents to claim its still relevant. But no matter how many smartbombs it can carry and how utterly awesome it seems to be to perforate your target with depleted uranium rounds - it's not surviable in anything but the most permissive environments. And make no mistake about it, those are few and far between at this point.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join