It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hong Kong caves to protestors, will withdraw extradition bill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Hong Kong Leader Caves: Orders Full Withdrawal of Extradition Bill

Carrie Lam, the chief executive of Hong Kong, has announced that the government of Hong Kong will withdraw the bill that would allow HK citizens to be extradited to mainland China. This appears to be a major win for protestors, altho Lam is guaranteed to now be on Beijing's sh!t list.
edit on 4-9-2019 by AndyFromMichigan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

The protesters motto is they have five demands, all of which must be met.

This was a small concession, one that I don't think will really calm the waters.

I also think she got the order from mainland to do this. If it was up to her, she would have quit by now per some leaked tapes. She also said she would have given a long heart felt apology in those tapes, showing she has great remorse for all that has happened.

But she's just the puppet.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Well this is great news, with the escalating tensions over there I was really getting worried that this could have been the spark for WW3.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Reddit

I edited out my original copy and paste of the 5 demands, I think it's more important someone with skin in the game have their voice heard.

Reading through the comments, many of the protesters say they are not going to stop what some describe as their revolution until all five demands are met... Which is smart IMO, they've got this far, they still have the worlds attention, and this moment in history will set the tone for the relationship between China and Hong Kong. I believe this is their last chance to get some breathing room and keep it.
edit on 4-9-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I think it’s gone past all that, could be wrong, but the protests turned almost rebellion like, seem to now be about self rule and a complete break from Chinese mainland communist government

No wonder they’ve dropped the extradition bill, as the Chinese will now probably start shooting and locking the mutineers up as a last resort to squash the uprising

I think it’s plain to see, Hong Kongnese have tasted democracy and rejected communism

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TritonTaranis

I think it’s plain to see, Hong Kongnese have tasted democracy and rejected communism

Good.

Give em' hell Hong Kong. If China has this much trouble with assimilating their own, hopefully they'll think twice should they get an itch to colonize and or conquer in the future.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

i would never go to war over hong kong or any other country. i am an american. and i have chinese blood, but i am an american. if some other country has bad luck, there is ZERO need for america to get involved in anything.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Once the Chinese have hoovered up and "disappeared" the ring-leaders and others, the Hong Kong authorities will re-introduce. If anything will come out of the Hong Kong protests it will be increased repression and curtailment of human rights in Hong Kong by the Chinese.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: dantanna
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

i would never go to war over hong kong or any other country. i am an american. and i have chinese blood, but i am an american. if some other country has bad luck, there is ZERO need for america to get involved in anything.

I'm with you. I'm all for being empathetic of others, but we're not the world police, and we don't get to dictate what happens at every corner.

Beyond the above, I think it is important for Hong Kong to do this on their own, and accomplish their goals. If they make China break by them selves, it will be a huge blow to the communist party going forward, the embarrassment will make them think twice about inflicting their will on others.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TritonTaranis
I think it’s gone past all that, could be wrong, but the protests turned almost rebellion like, seem to now be about self rule and a complete break from Chinese mainland communist government

No wonder they’ve dropped the extradition bill, as the Chinese will now probably start shooting and locking the mutineers up as a last resort to squash the uprising

Most protesters are waving the Union Flag as if they want a return to colonial rule, others wave the American flag asking for intervention maybe? Hardly points to self rule and looks more like a coup from those nations.
If the yellow vest protesters in France planted a Russian flag in parliament it would raise eyebrows rather than everyone claim they just want democracy.

China itself hasn't done anything other than beef up its borders due to an unruly neighbour, a move most Americans support on their own border, especially on this site.

The whole situation smells funny to me, if China wanted full influence over Hong Kong politically they haven't tried very hard, the protesters just want amnesty for protesting not a change in government, no political reforms nothing really clear cut for what their really protesting for. Maybes the kids in Hong Kong just fell for a crazy conspiracy?
Imagine qanon crazies, for example, believing an internet lie that a pizza shop is actually a pedophile den which, leads to someone entering said shop with a gun, getting arrested and, rather than try to forget they believed something so crazy, took to the streets protesting for his release and the release of fellow protesters who got violent and arrested.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: contextual

I think the extradition bill was a wake up call to Hong Kong that China was about to start tightening down on them.

I also think the way you summarize it doesn't do justice to what must be going through the minds of those in Hong Kong.

That this was just the beginning, and that on the way could be censorship of all media including internet like mainland, social credit score, and re-education camps for those who don't play ball.

I can't imagine living in those conditions, and the way you spoke of China, it was as if you acted like the people don't live under an authoritative communist one party rule where they don't have freedom of speech or even access to unsterilized information.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Most protesters are waving the Union Flag as if they want a return to colonial rule, others wave the American flag asking for intervention maybe?

From what I have gathered, I think they are waving those flags as a symbol of freedom and liberty.

Hong Kong should be a lesson model for other countries whose people don't stand up against their own government's corruption and abuses.

If the citizenry sees their rights being trampled on by absolute "Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government and to provide new Guards for their future security".

Hong Kong citizens stood their ground and fought against communist encroachment. Enough is enough. They had reached the end of that "long train of abuses and usurpations".

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords

Hong Kong citizens stood their ground and fought against communist encroachment. Enough is enough. They had reached the end of that "long train of abuses and usurpations".

There's no question that the Chinese government intends to strip away the liberties Hong Kong citizens enjoy. Only a complete fool can't see it coming.

They should follow along the lines of Singapore, which really has a pretty similar history: founded as a British trading colony, it was briefly part of Malaysia before becoming an independent city-state.

Not surprising that the US media isn't paying much attention to Hong Kong. They're probably afraid people will make the connection between the Chinese government and the Democrats, who similarly want to take away our free-speech and self-defense rights.
edit on 4-9-2019 by AndyFromMichigan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Lam doesn't do anything without Beijing approval. This concession is meaningless because in 5 years they can simply bring the bill up again. This 'concession' is no concession at all and does nothing to change the circumstances that allowed this bill in the first place.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   

They are 25 years too late. The West made China a fearsome beast and Hong Kong allowed itself to be devoured by it. We are just waiting for the digestion phase to end, a little indigestion isn't going to get China to spit up it's meal.

Had they been this passionate 25 years ago they could have their freedom. Now who will go to war with China for their benefit?

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I think this will eventually end badly. The Chinese government can be pushed a little, but if you try it too much expect a big shove back.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   

You don't seem to understand the situation at all. They do want political reform. They are 'Western" so they are raising the flag of countries they identify with, and that have a system similar to the one they want.

Which is why it is so crazy they allowed themselves to be conquered by China so easily. How did they possibly think this was going to go any other way?

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

You don't seem to understand the situation at all. They do want political reform. They are 'Western" so they are raising the flag of countries they identify with, and that have a system similar to the one they want.

Which is why it is so crazy they allowed themselves to be conquered by China so easily. How did they possibly think this was going to go any other way?

They really didn't have a choice. Britain never owned Hong Kong, it was only leased. And China made it clear that they wanted Hong Kong back when the lease ended.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

They really didn't have a choice. Britain never owned Hong Kong, it was only leased. And China made it clear that they wanted Hong Kong back when the lease ended.

That is false. Britain did own part of Hong Kong. Not leased, 100% owned. China can make it clear all they want, they would not have gone to war over it, and had the people of HK been steadfast they could have declared independence and be free today.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I like your thinking sir.....

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: TritonTaranis

Good.

Give em' hell Hong Kong. If China has this much trouble with assimilating their own, hopefully they'll think twice should they get an itch to colonize and or conquer in the future.

Rainbows
Jane

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join