It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart's New Gun and Ammo Stance

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Can they legally ban open carry in their stores?

I don't think so. But they're "asking" customers to voluntarily comply.

Walmart to end certain gun, ammunition sales; asks shoppers not to open-carry finance.yahoo.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Identified

Oh no... you mean I have yet another reason to continue never darkening my local den of crackheads, gang bangers, meth users, and dregs of society beyond the simple fact that it's Walmart and there's no reason whatsoever for me to ever enter their doors?

Seriously, Walmart is a vibrant cross section of exactly what qualifies a neighborhood or even a community as, in president Trump's eloquent words, a "SNIPhole." I did not need another reason to extend my long standing avoidance of their establishment, but what the hell, now I have yet another reason...

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
They might just decide to ban anyone then.

My understanding of federal law is that private business owners can ban not only open carry, but also concealed carry possession at their whim. blogs.findlaw.com... they would, however, need to post conspicuous signage barring them from their stores, however. In other words, them saying "don't come in open carrying" is meaningless without them taking the additional step of officially posting the policy at each point of entrance.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

Yuppers they can.

It would be no different than no shirt, no shoes, no service, as the ban would apply to all persons equally.

A more interesting question is if they could ban open carry in the parking lot, as that will have slightly different public access/usage rules.

I believe the no shirt, no shoes rules are more to do with public health.
This will probably come down to the laws in each state.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Identified
I mean 5.56 and .223 are not special.

They are the same caliber.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Yep

Just don't put a 5.56 in a .223!
edit on 3-9-2019 by Identified because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Identified

Walmart should show a little confidence in those who open or conceal carry....it could save some lives , rather than attract more crazies to a gun free zone !!

edit on 3-9-2019 by conspiracytheoristIAM because: added open

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

they didn't say anything about concealed carry though so its not like some people wont still carry if they have a permit or in states with no permitting requirements. i dont know many people who buy guns at wallmart but know a few who bought ammo (mostly 22 and bird shot and the occasional box during hunting season)

it will get them some "good optics" but wont have a major impact on firearms sales but may put a small dent in sales of 5.56/.223 but ar's come in various flavors and they said nothing about that ammo(carbines in 45acp and 9mm,300 black out,.308 for the ar-10s etc) either and seem to have left 7.62x39mm off the "banned list" which is odd as didn't the wall-mart shooter roll up with an ak?

edit i guess they are stopping selling "pistol ammo as well"?
edit on 3-9-2019 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Identified The only thing Wal-Mart ammo has been good for in years is hunting certain game animals, clay pigeons, an occasional decent quiver of arrows,and paint guns and ammo/air canisters so not really a huge loss. They're making a big mistake but whatever let em be dumb. As for their concealed carry policy it's funny don't allow citizens who can,but if youre a cop I suppose it's cool cause of your shiny badges and or name tags of protection lmao.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

223 caliber and 5.56 caliber

Bummer when you need .223 and only have 5.56

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   
You know what...... support your local Gun Shop. the ones in your town, the ones that are NRA and in support of you and the Second. Wallys only has cheese anyway. The little you will save on ammo will not cover your back like your local gun shop and patrons will. Think about it.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

You know what...... support your local Gun Shop.

Best advice in this whole thread.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Beach Bum

Most gun owners practice more and are a better shot than LEO but the badge makes them not scary to the masses I guess.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   
So if I am barred from open carry and someone openly carries and discharges despite the greeter’s protestations, and I am injured/panicked/disenfranchised from my right of self-defense and the defense of others...what kind of potential payday are we looking at here? $30 million? $40 bucks tops?

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Yes. In Texas you can. You can either post the signage on the front door (one for each concealed and open carry). Or, if a manager asks you to remove your gun and you do not you can be issued a criminal trespass warning and barred from the store.

My business does not post the 30.06 or 30.07 signage, but our managers will ask you to remove your firearm for the comfort of our guests, and to not cause problems with our mixed beverage license.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Identified
a reply to: projectvxn

Even if you never buy ammo there this is now one less major retailer where you can. The goal of some is to have nowhere you can buy it.

I’m looking at it from a different angle. A 20% market share reduced to 9 or 6%. Means the mom and pop operations can pick up the slack. That helps the people Walmart has been strangling for years .

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Had me there before you brought up the NRA. An organization that is perfectly fine with the disintegration of our individual rights. GOA is much preferable.

NRA serves to slow the process but ultimately they're perfectly fine with it.
edit on 3-9-2019 by ManWhoWasThursday because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   
The issue of concealed carry is a nebulous one, since the key word in that is concealed and without metal detectors it's a non-issue.

Discontinuing handgun sales here in Alaska is pretty odd in a place where even people who don't hunt carry handguns for bear protection when out getting nature all over us. We all have the right to carry concealed handguns, so what they don't know, they don't know anyway.

Kind of meaningless since that's not the store I'd think most people buy from anyway. Ammo maybe, but not the actual gun.

Does anyone who shops at Walmart actually care whether they sell guns or not and would they stop shopping there if they did sell handguns? I kind of doubt it. Walmart is where you go to buy something on sale for a price too good to pass up, not to buy a gun.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   
To stop selling short barrel rifle ammo they need to stop selling ammo period. If it shoots out of a gun, someone somewhere has SBR'ed it or SBS'ed it.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

It's the only game in town in a lot of the Lesser 48 rural communities. Walmart drove everyone else out of business. Ketchikan and Kodiak are both served primarily by Walmarts these days... I'd bet those locations sell a lot of firearms and ammunition comparatively speaking. Either pay a bit more at Walmart or drop $500 on an AA flight to Anchorage so you can stop by Cabelas or Wild West.

It is an interesting situation when viewed in those terms. We actively have voters and politicians who will openly argue that the closure of a neighborhood Planned Parenthood clinic, necessitating a 20-30 mile drive by a woman wanting an abortion to reach the next closest provider is a violation of her (court created) right to an abortion, but this type of nonsense that seriously impacts small communities' ability to exercise their clearly enumerated 2nd Amendment Right don't receive equal degrees of oversight and analysis.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join