It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The God Awful suffering Cable Television and landlines

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

Do you live near a major city where you can get over the air? Where I Live I get 30 channels over the air. ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW, PBS, QVC, etc... And better quality image than cable. They should provide her plenty to watch live.

I use an antenna in my attic for my main house TVs but for a TV I have out in my workshop and upper apartment I have a Mohu Leaf which picks up very well just stuck on a wall or window.

I still have cable but only because with my internet package it worked out cheaper to get the bundle. I rarely watch anything on it though except the news in the background. Like right now I have BBC News on.

I see no reason why your MIL can't learn to use to the Fire or Roku. They aren't difficult. My grandfather uses one.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Pbbfftt. Sorry.
edit on 3-9-2019 by elkabong57 because: I write English not well.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: elkabong57

My alternative solution has been Amazon Prime and Netflix.

Prime has really stepped it up. At first it sucked so bad. Now they are actually putting out some good content.

I noticed that too. I am watching more Prime lately.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: elkabong57

a reply to: elkabong57

My alternative solution has been Amazon Prime and Netflix.

Prime has really stepped it up. At first it sucked so bad. Now they are actually putting out some good content.

I noticed that too. I am watching more Prime lately.

“The Boys” was legit. Loved that show. “Carnival Row” looks pretty good also.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Carnival Row is next for me!! Can't wait looks interesting

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   

It's pathetically bad. Re robocalls: we have stopped answering the phone unless caller ID shows a number we recognize. We let the answering machine screen all calls. We get about one legit call for every eight spams.

On tv content: you just can't watch tv without recording it first. The commercials are long, endless and must comprise at least 25 percent of the recorded time. Complete waste of time.

I'm glad you guys have help with childcare. I think it's very nice of you to get this for your MIL.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Haven't had a landline since 1999. Happy about that.
Haven't had cable since 2008. Happy about that.

But high speed internet being $80 a month is straight up price gouging (my work is all HD video transfers so regular internet included in the crappy 'package' deals is way too slow anyway). The speed of internet (that I have/need) in other western nations is offered for pennies compared to what we in the USA pay, but the US cable companies just can't let go of a stupid outdated model (i.e. cable and landlines).

To make it all the more unbearable I get one snail mail letter a week from spectrum trying to get me to buy their dumb package and multiple calls a week from them. Even though they are my own provider I've had to block them. Sadly they also have a monopoly and no one else offers the internet speeds that I need in my neighborhood. Capitalism wins, consumer loses.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Identified

Do you live near a major city where you can get over the air? Where I Live I get 30 channels over the air. ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW, PBS, QVC, etc... And better quality image than cable. They should provide her plenty to watch live.

I use an antenna in my attic for my main house TVs but for a TV I have out in my workshop and upper apartment I have a Mohu Leaf which picks up very well just stuck on a wall or window.

I still have cable but only because with my internet package it worked out cheaper to get the bundle. I rarely watch anything on it though except the news in the background. Like right now I have BBC News on.

I see no reason why your MIL can't learn to use to the Fire or Roku. They aren't difficult. My grandfather uses one.

I do. We have a digital antenna in our bedroom. My wife was using it to watch the local news. Her preferred news station didn’t come through, but she settled for another without complaint.

I don’t mind paying for the cable for her comfort while she’s saving us hundreds of dollars a month in childcare costs. And I don’t feel like forcing her to use something she’s not comfortable with. She’s set in her ways. Plus, when I’m her age I’m going to struggle connecting to the Matrix and my kids probably won’t want to spend much time teaching me how to plug in.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I understand. I wish more people would cord cut because I think if they did then cable, and by extension internet services, would be forced to update to stay in business.

Like I said earlier I have cable only because of the bundle but the cable isn't great and I certainly wouldn't pay $100 a month for it. And the quality is not good even on HD. Nevermind UHD!

But it isn't even like internet is great either. I had to force them to run me new fibre optic and you'd think for the prices I pay they would want to but then they know my options are limited.

What gets me is you can't get Cable anymore in multiple rooms without a box in each room or a fire stick or Roku you've managed to jailbreak an app onto.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Carnival Row is next for me!! Can't wait looks interesting

Have you watched any of this one. Worked day player on a couple of episodes.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Let me tell you about my dad. He never once spent a dime on cable or internet , and still hasn't till this day.

He has a HD antennae , watches what ever is on and does his crossword puzzles.

They do own a DVD player and VHS with every Disney movie that ever came out.

Due to my sister, she bought my mom a tablet with a wireless plan she pays for. My mom burns up facebook !

My dad is my hero.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Been in my current apartment for 7 years, cable is included in the rent. I've hooked it up exactly once to watch an MMA event I couldn't find elsewhere. Before that, no cable since I lived at home with the parents, so late 90's? It's just not something I miss.

When it comes to package deals, "oh if you get all 3 it's cheaper than just the 1", I don't give a crap I only need the 1. It confuses the bejezus out of people that I'm willing to pay slightly more to not have to deal with the other stuff. Provider for our building changed a couple of years back, and the new one called and asked if I wanted their 3 pack, I told them no thanks and if they could remove the TV aspect of it I would appreciate it. They had supervisors on the phone trying to convince me, I don't need it, I don't want to be counted as part of your subscriber base, and I don't want my personal info attached to any of it. I can't fathom why it's so hard to understand.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: seaswine
i use my landline so that i don't microwave my skull with my (padded) cell phone when i'm at home. Chatting for long periods of time is easier on the land line (i wish it had a rotary dial). If i want to avoid random rings i just turn it off.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
We have internet at the pizza place buddy and I run. I bring my laptop and when not busy download tv series or movies I wish to watch over the next couple days. At home I HDMI from laptop into tv and watch whatever I downloaded, works great and haven't used any services in so long I have no idea of the pricing. Haven't seen a commercial in ages, all good here😇

posted on Sep, 5 2019 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: PsychicCroMag
a reply to: seaswine
i use my landline so that i don't microwave my skull with my (padded) cell phone when i'm at home. Chatting for long periods of time is easier on the land line (i wish it had a rotary dial). If i want to avoid random rings i just turn it off.

We can't even get landline here. I tried. It's really disappointing.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join