It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breixt: Another week of crazy political drama

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: UKTruth

Say I vote Tory and we get Brexit; what happens post-Brexit?
I then have to endure a Tory party in government for five more years along with all their policies that I vehemently disagree with whilst also watching the likely dissolution of the UK.

That's not a prospect I can vote for.....literally caught between a rock and a hard place.

Maybe, this time round, anyone dissatisfied with the way the Government, as one has screwed things up, should protest by spoiling their ballot? Nobody vote Tory OR Labour!

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

To a large extent I agree with you.

Johnson is the only option if we are to achieve Brexit.

But I can not be complicit in consigning this nation to another five years of the Tory's needless and vindictive austerity policies and its drive to taking us back to something akin to a Victorian society.

I suspect I might not be the only one in this quandary.

I was talking to a good mate of mine who lives down south today.

The guy is a hardcore Tory who hates Labour and despises Corbyn, he's not even anti-brexit but says he doesn't want to risk no deal so also feels like he is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Talking it out with him he basically said that for him it would probably be best to Vote labour if it was to stop a no-deal Brexit or even Brexit all together and endure 5 years of Labour rule rather than the fall out of a no-deal.

I think a lot of the electorate are going to make a similar assessment, its going to be a case of what do I want, Labour or a hard no-deal Brexit. I could see quite a lot voting for Labour faced with such a choice.

I was talking to a good mate of mine who is a lifelong Labour supporter. Really hardcore. Hates the Conservatives.
She said that the idea of Parliament going against the will of the people was so disgusting to her that she will vote for the Tories.

I think a lot of the electorate are going to make a similar assessment and the polls seem to support that.

edit on 3/9/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: Freeborn

Rumour now circulating that if a Bill is passed to stop a no deal Brexit, Johnson won't take it to The Queen to bring The Bill into law.

Crazy times.

I think he would have to have the law ratified but I think this is why he is calling for a general election because it's pretty much his only way out.

He might not even get a general election to pass, he needs 66% to agree but I can't really see what other choice is left for Westminster.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Rumour now circulating that if a Bill is passed to stop a no deal Brexit, Johnson won't take it to The Queen to bring The Bill into law.

Crazy times.

I think he would have to have the law ratified but I think this is why he is calling for a general election because it's pretty much his only way out.

He might not even get a general election to pass, he needs 66% to agree but I can't really see what other choice is left for Westminster.

He doesn't need 66%
He can use a bill and have it passed with a simple majority.
66% relates to the rules under the Fixed Term Parliament Act. It doesn't apply to new legislation.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Crazy times.

He doesn't need 66%
66% relates to the rules under the Fixed Term Parliament Act. It doesn;t apply to new legislation.

Yup am very well aware of the details of the Fixed Term Parliament Act thank you very much

But with his -21 Majority good luck with that bill Boris.
edit on 3-9-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Is there a source for a quick read of why BREXIT is so hard to do? I know what BREXIT stands for (Britain exiting the European Union), but that's about all.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

Say I vote Tory and we get Brexit; what happens post-Brexit?
I then have to endure a Tory party in government for five more years along with all their policies that I vehemently disagree with whilst also watching the likely dissolution of the UK.

That's not a prospect I can vote for.....literally caught between a rock and a hard place.

Maybe, this time round, anyone dissatisfied with the way the Government, as one has screwed things up, should protest by spoiling their ballot? Nobody vote Tory OR Labour!

The EU would be delighted with that.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Is there a source for a quick read of why BREXIT is so hard to do? I know what BREXIT stands for (Britain exiting the European Union), but that's about all.

So honestly its so complicated that trying to explain it to someone with a bit of TLDR is just not possible.

I wrote This a few weeks ago which is my attempt but its so much more complex. Part of the problem with trying to explain it is that this changes almost every hour.
edit on 3-9-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Crazy times.

He doesn't need 66%
66% relates to the rules under the Fixed Term Parliament Act. It doesn;t apply to new legislation.

Yup am very well aware of the details of the Fixed Term Parliament Act thank you very much

With his -21 Majority good luck with that Boris.

Given you failed to mention the options available, I doubt you were aware.

An election is precisely what a number of the opposition want. Corbyn doesn't for obvious reasons - he'd get smashed (despite lying for 2 years about how badly he wants one), but the other parties?
We'll see.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Remainers plan to bring back the last version Theresa May's deal tomorrow to be voted on by the house.

BREAKING: 17 Labour MPs including @GloriaDePiero @SKinnock and @CarolineFlintMP plan to amend tomorrow's anti-No Deal bill (if the opposition win tonight) to call for the latest version of the @theresa_may deal to be put to parliament. Their full statement coming up
www.bbc.co.uk...

Looks like the coup is sealed in tonight's vote.

General Election impending.

One of those things that you read and just think “what the #”

You're noy kidding dude. We no longer able to call ourselves Great Britain, there's nothing great about all this (sure our Isles are pretty but The United Kingdom of Pretty Britain and Northern Ireland doesn't have the same ring to it. More like The Divided Kingdom of Britain and maybe Northern Ireland...

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   

So honestly its so complicated that trying to explain it to someone with a bit of TLDR is just not possible.

I wrote This a few weeks ago which is my attempt but its so much more complex. Part of the problem with trying to explain it is that this changes almost every hour.

Thank-you. I'm reading over your post now..

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:27 PM
link   

To steal a phrase often used by a friend; I wouldn't trust Corbyn or Johnson to look after my pint whilst I went for a piss let alone look after the country and its interests!

I miss Cornish, weirdly, given how almost racist towards Scots he was ha ha. He must be spitting his chips out over this,

It's like standing by waiting on your house being demolished so you can rebuild it....

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:29 PM
link   
The British are really tearing themselves apart

A few weeks ago, while listening to this political mess, I set out to try to understand what this issue is all about. Its wasn’t easy…I tell you. I still don’t totally get it but the crux is that thing they call the stopgap over Ireland.

They took two years to come up with this and they still won’t have all the issues ironed out even if miraculously they can settle this stopgap issue. It’s a temporary deal they can’t even settle on! How in the world will they then ever settle on anything permanent?

This is almost worse than the US government: ruling by inertia.

It looks like Gog and Magog are on its last legs.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

To steal a phrase often used by a friend; I wouldn't trust Corbyn or Johnson to look after my pint whilst I went for a piss let alone look after the country and its interests!

I miss Cornish, weirdly, given how almost racist towards Scots he was ha ha. He must be spitting his chips out over this,

It's like standing by waiting on your house being demolished so you can rebuild it....

Haha agreed would love to be reading his posts right now, I also miss him despite his occasional racist rants

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

OSOTC, all you UK guys might have to come to America.

I tell you what when you do come, come in through Mexico.

Just hurry up before they build the wall.

edit on 3-9-2019 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

OSOTC, all you UK guys might have to come to America.

I tell you what when you do come in through Mexico.

Just hurry up before they build the wall.

Nah mate av looked out ma Irish passport am sorted.

thanks for the offer though still might need to take you up on it.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

If certain leaders are to blame, the people should replace them. Everything always boils down to the human factor. Get different human leaders who will carry out the will of the human voters.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   

a reply to: Willtell

If certain leaders are to blame, the people should replace them. Everything always boils down to the human factor. Get different human leaders who will carry out the will of the human voters.

That's what the General Election option is all about....but to have a General Election outside the normal cycle of 5 years, the 'leaders' you are talking about have to vote it.

Many of them won't be keen.. they already have their bribes set up, their long lunches organised, their hookers booked for the few years...

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:50 PM
link   
The Downing St strategy team are laughing and congratulating one another for their victory tonight in duping the opposition parties into providing an excuse for Team Boris to go for the election they have planned for (witness all the recent bribes to the voters).
They KNEW the awkward squad amongst Tory MPS would rebel in the pretence of defending parliamentary democracy (actually, they are trying to stop Brexit but cannot speak it, so they are the undemocratic ones). Team Boris purposely announced a large period of suspension of parliament knowing full well the howls of protest they would get from Remoaners and the rent-a-march left wingers and assorted eccentrics in the Labour Party who think the EU flag is now more important than the Union Jack. It was done deliberately to expose the Remainer MPs for what they are, thereby proving to the electorate about to enter an election just how much these people have been frustrating the democratic will of the majority of voters in the referendum three years ago.
Team Boris is quite prepared to look as though they are losing a few battles when, really, losing all these votes was their plan all along and simply plays into their hands both strategically and in terms of propaganda when they fight the coming election. They win by having the excuse handed to them on a plate to rid themselves once and for all of the traitorous Remainers in their party by withdrawing the whip from them, which means these rats will find it almost impossible to get selected as candidates before the next election (masterful!). They win by intentionally reducing their working majority to the point that - however it comes - the government HAS to fall - what of course was what they planned, as they know they cannot achieve Brexit (or any other things) with a very small working majority. Team Boris knows that the Tory Party will likely win the next election because they have made the opposition parties look like spoilers and whinging sore losers. But they have to convince Farange that they were genuine about wanting a hard Brexit, so that he will not oppose them in the elections, which might lead to another hung parliament. Hence, they HAD to prove to him that they meant business about wanting a hard Brexit. Losing these meaningless votes will have convinced Farage on that score, so that is another win. Why meaningless? Because they merely hasten the very outcome that Team Boris wants - an election that they are confident they will win. Only the dumb media imagines that all possible moves have not been worked out in this game of 3-d chess.

Yes, Team Boris must be laughing their heads off as they celebrate tonight achieving the first step of their plan.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join