It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breixt: Another week of crazy political drama

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: ScepticScot

I'd have a guess and say that the vast majority of people who voted for Brexit would much prefer to leave with a deal.

But in the absence of any deal that even remotely looks like a meaningful Brexit freeing us from the shackles of Brussels then a No Deal is preferable to a bad deal.

Let's see what happens tomorrow because I suspect Corbyn will be #ting himself; he knows he'll be just as incapable of getting a good deal from the EU Commissars as May was.

As much as I hate saying it I think Johnson is our best chance of getting a decent deal from the EU.....but I think he's just as unsuitable a PM as Corbyn or whateverhername is in charge of the LibDems.

I despair for the future of this country.

It's going to be interesting watching Corbyn squirm and make excuses about not wanting a general election after 2 years of baying for one.
Corbyn will whip the Labour Party into rejecting a General Election and will succeed in stopping it via the route of the Fixed Term Parliament Act, however Johnson can get the election through the House with a simple majority by introducing a bill. Time to make Corbyn put up or shut up.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Yes, that would reveal Corbyn as the opportunist and hypocrite he is.....but we'd be no further forward in achieving Brexit.

And post-Brexit there is still no one who I would consider being the strong and inspiring Prime Minister we'll need.

To steal a phrase often used by a friend; I wouldn't trust Corbyn or Johnson to look after my pint whilst I went for a piss let alone look after the country and its interests!

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Yes, that would reveal Corbyn as the opportunist and hypocrite he is.....but we'd be no further forward in achieving Brexit.

And post-Brexit there is still no one who I would consider being the strong and inspiring Prime Minister we'll need.

To steal a phrase often used by a friend; I wouldn't trust Corbyn or Johnson to look after my pint whilst I went for a piss let alone look after the country and its interests!

We've not had a strong and inspiring PM for a long long time.
Achieving Brexit now comes down to a very simple decision because tonight set in motion a process of giving complete control to the EU to decide when we leave and under what terms. I can tell you now that the EU will push for a multi year extension of at least 2 years.

The simple choice is now; vote for the Tories and Johnson to deliver the result of the referendum or vote for Labour and Corbyn to remain in the EU. For me, I believe that the will of the people should be respected, so I will hold my nose and vote for Johnson, then at the next election vote to get him out.

edit on 3/9/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Looks like he is sacking those 21 rebel MPs.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:57 PM
link   
confirmed they lost the whip, johnsons majority -20 and thats with the dup on side

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: contextual
confirmed they lost the whip, johnsons majority -20 and thats with the dup on side

So there has to be a general election this makes it all but inevitable.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Telegraph is running a story that they are planning to stand against the speaker in the GE!

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Some big names gone

Bebb
Benyon
Brine
Burt
G Clark
K Clarke
Gauke
Greening
Grieve
Gyimah
S Hammond
P Hammond
Harrington
James
Lee
Letwin
Milton
Nokes
Sandbach
Soames
Stewart
Vaizey

link   
Nearly 100 amendments are reported to be tabled in the House of Lords on the bill...

edit on 3/9/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

Telegraph is running a story that they are planning to stand against the speaker in the GE!

This is getting more and more messed up....I think I underestimated how nuts this was going to be in my OP

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   

To a large extent I agree with you.

Johnson is the only option if we are to achieve Brexit.

But I can not be complicit in consigning this nation to another five years of the Tory's needless and vindictive austerity policies and its drive to taking us back to something akin to a Victorian society.

I suspect I might not be the only one in this quandary.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   
The moment the majority was lost:

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:04 PM
link   

The speaker has proven himself to be partial to one side of the house.
Standing against him makes sense.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

The speaker is a Conservative.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:05 PM
link   

This is getting more and more messed up....I think I underestimated how nuts this was going to be in my OP

This is what happens when MP's decide to go against the will of the people.
A fight ensues between those who understand that their job is to serve the people and those that are hell bent on serving themselves. You choose which side is which - I doubt we'd agree.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Rumour now circulating that if a Bill is passed to stop a no deal Brexit, Johnson won't take it to The Queen to bring The Bill into law.

Crazy times.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: RexKramerPRT

The speaker is a Conservative.

Since 2016, the house has been split not on party but on Leave and Remain. Bercow is a vocal and staunch supporter of efforts to remain in the EU in direct opposition to the Govt and the will of the people.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:08 PM
link   

It's also a major break with convention.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   

To a large extent I agree with you.

Johnson is the only option if we are to achieve Brexit.

But I can not be complicit in consigning this nation to another five years of the Tory's needless and vindictive austerity policies and its drive to taking us back to something akin to a Victorian society.

I suspect I might not be the only one in this quandary.

I was talking to a good mate of mine who lives down south today.

The guy is a hardcore Tory who hates Labour and despises Corbyn, he's not even anti-brexit but says he doesn't want to risk no deal so also feels like he is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Talking it out with him he basically said that for him it would probably be best to Vote labour if it was to stop a no-deal Brexit or even Brexit all together and endure 5 years of Labour rule rather than the fall out of a no-deal.

I think a lot of the electorate are going to make a similar assessment, its going to be a case of what do I want, Labour or a hard no-deal Brexit. I could see quite a lot voting for Labour faced with such a choice.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: Freeborn

Rumour now circulating that if a Bill is passed to stop a no deal Brexit, Johnson won't take it to The Queen to bring The Bill into law.

Crazy times.

Not likely.
Boris's next play is a snap General Election.
IN fact it's his only play - unless he relies on peers in the House of Lords to delay the no deal bill passing for nearly 2 months.. unlikely.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join