It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood stars demanding the blacklisting of Trump supporters, isn't that totalitarian or fascist?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: The2Billies
Since when was it legal to encourage large groups of people to harass a specific individual, and make a list of specific people to harass?

Since 1789.

If it is legal, our country/our morals/our values are really screwed up.

You may think the Constitution is screwed up but I don't.

Denying employment is NOT a boycott...

Sure it is, just like when union protesters stand on the sidewalk in front of their place if employment during a strike and ask to have the replacement workers fired.

Really sounds like Hitler in WWII with the Jews

Really sounds like you don't understand free expression. You don't have to like what they're saying but they have the right to say it.

WOW, just WOW

And you find this acceptable? I find it very much like Hitler in WWII

Where in the constitution does it say people are free to harass individuals and to encourage large groups of people to gang up and harass individuals?

Where in the constitution does it say people are free to force others to deny work and to deny creative expression?

Sorry that is not free speech or freedom of expression in my book. It is a very scary ideology that believes this is what the constitution guarantees people the right to do. Encourage the unrelenting harassment of people and deny people the right or ability to work based on their political ideology and nothing else.

edit on 9/3/19 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

And you find this acceptable? I find it very much like Hitler in WWII

If they were very much like Hitler, they would have to gain control of a powerful country and start a Holocaust.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   

And you find this acceptable?

Do I find free expression acceptable? Yeah, I do.

I find it very much like Hitler in WWII

I find that to be a hysteric's argument.

Where in the constitution does it say people are free to harass individuals and to encourage large groups of people to gang up and harass individuals?

You obviously don't know how the Constitution functions, it isn't a list of things we private citizens CAN DO, it's a list of things the government CANNOT DO.

Sorry that is not free speech or freedom of expression in my book.

Now you sound like the totalitarian who wants everyone to group think like they do.

edit on 3-9-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   
With list compiled and enthusiastically and widely distributed...the commercial boycotting and shaming will begin against any studio, producer, director, etc. which employs anyone on the list.

That is the ultimate purpose of the list.

People have the right to keep their political affilliations seperate from their professional life...sanctity of the voting booth and all.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Now you sound like the totalitarian who wants everyone to group think like they do.

"I DON'T LIKE HOW THEY'RE USING FREEDOM OF SPEECH, IT OFFENDS ME AND WE SHOULD LIMIT IT!!!!"

lol

Just another episode of both parties wanting to limit rights because of "nazis". Tune in next week for the dramatic new episode of "beware of nazis".

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

But there isn't a list yet. And both sides boycott services/products of opposing political interests all the time, as pointed out by another member earlier in this thread.

If someone can prove they didn't get a job, or got fired based on political views, they probably have a case for discrimination... But as it stands, two B list and tired television "stars" just proposed the idea.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
"I DON'T LIKE HOW THEY'RE USING FREEDOM OF SPEECH, IT OFFENDS ME AND WE SHOULD LIMIT IT!!!!"

People only like the Constitution when they feel it agrees with them.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Would forcibly outing homosexuals in the childcare and teaching professions ALSO be free speech?

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Would forcibly outing homosexuals in the childcare and teaching professions ALSO be free speech?

Proposing it is free speech, implementing not so much.

It appears we are in the proposition phase, which constitutes free (but dumb) speech.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   

With list compiled and enthusiastically and widely distributed...the commercial boycotting and shaming will begin against any studio, producer, director, etc. which employs anyone on the list.

People have the right to keep their political affilliations seperate from their professional life...sanctity of the voting booth and all.

And if they do begin blacklisting people based upon their political viewpoints, it will be decided in a court of law, guaranteed. And that court being in California, anyone want to guess which way the decision will be? If this continues, unabated, expect to see it appealed and pushed higher into the federal judiciary. Where a more fair decision can be made.

However, that said, I still support (although do not agree with) the position of doxxing and blacklisting in this manner. It is within their 1st amendment right, but, I'll let the SCOTUS be the ultimate arbiter if it even gets that far.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   

From what I've learned so far in this thread YES and then you can harass them in public and also get large groups of people to harass them.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Since when was it legal to encourage large groups of people to harass a specific individual, and make a list of specific people to harass?

Since 1789.

If it is legal, our country/our morals/our values are really screwed up.

You may think the Constitution is screwed up but I don't.

Denying employment is NOT a boycott...

Sure it is, just like when union protesters stand on the sidewalk in front of their place if employment during a strike and ask to have the replacement workers fired.

Really sounds like Hitler in WWII with the Jews

Really sounds like you don't understand free expression. You don't have to like what they're saying but they have the right to say it.

Ok I get what you are saying - it is constitutional for them to have said this.

However, my point is it is illegal and not constitutional - to actually do this.

They could be sued or even jailed if people carried out their demands to harass, they could be sued if people carry out their demands to deny creative artistic expression or employment of any kind based on political ideology and for no other reason.

Now we are both right!

Plus the reasoning behind it all is fascist ideology.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   

People only like the Constitution when they feel it agrees with them.

If only there was a way to show people this happens on both side of the aisle. Like hypothetically if people got mad at Fox for hiring liberals or something.

Both sides seeking equity, not equality. Both want the upper hand and a loaded deck.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tekner

From what I've learned so far in this thread YES and then you can harass them in public and also get large groups of people to harass them.

I do believe that is illegal. To harass people in public - Harassment and Cyberbullying as Crimes www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   

However, my point is it is illegal and not constitutional - to actually do this.

You'd be wrong, one again, it isn't the government doing this so the Constitution is not violated. Did you ever take even a basic civics course?

They could be sued or even jailed if people carried out their demands to harass, they could be sued if people carry out their demands to deny creative artistic expression or employment of any kind based on political ideology and for no other reason.

Public protest is not 'harassment'. I can stand on the sidewalk outside Sony Pictures and demand they not hire my outrage du jour and it's 100% legal. They can chose to do what they want.

edit on 3-9-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza

link   

originally posted by: Tekner

I do believe that is illegal. To harass people in public - Harassment and Cyberbullying as Crimes www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...

People harass other who wear MAGA hats all the time. There are people harassing those who go into Planned Parenthood on any given day.

There is a line, and it would be hard for anyone to agree on where that line is. Both sides want it to favor them.

As for the employment thing, that could be a tricky subject for Hollywood. But it's a industry based off of optics. You constantly see people discriminantly hiring people based on their political views at Pundit networks both on the right and left.

link   

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

If only there was a way to show people this happens on both side of the aisle. Like hypothetically if people got mad at Fox for hiring liberals or something.

Well, FOX isn't stupid enough to hire liberals like Juan Williams for their network. If they were people would want his liberal pansy ass fired.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

And if they do begin blacklisting people based upon their political viewpoints, it will be decided in a court of law, guaranteed. And that court being in California, anyone want to guess which way the decision will be? If this continues, unabated, expect to see it appealed and pushed higher into the federal judiciary. Where a more fair decision can be made.

However, that said, I still support (although do not agree with) the position of doxxing and blacklisting in this manner. It is within their 1st amendment right, but, I'll let the SCOTUS be the ultimate arbiter if it even gets that far.

www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...
www.wisegeek.com...

Doxing - cyberbullying - is illegal

Blacklisting is also illegal

work.chron.com...

Can you quote where in the constitution harassment and denying employment based on political views is a right? Since it is illegal, I doubt the constitution allows this.

According to the constitution they can say it, but if they or anyone they encourage actually do it, they could and should be sued, fined, or jailed.

edit on 9/3/19 by The2Billies because: correction as to legality of blacklisting

edit on 9/3/19 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   
The 'South Park' guys are going to have a blast with this.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join