It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood stars demanding the blacklisting of Trump supporters, isn't that totalitarian or fascist?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 07:32 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Will & Grace stars Debra Messing and Eric McCormack have called for Hollywood to out and blacklist anyone attending a forthcoming fundraiser for Donald Trump. President Trump’s fundraiser is set to take place in Beverly Hills during Emmys week, and the actors have called for industry publications to name and shame those who turn up to support him. “Please print a list of all attendees please. The public has a right to know,” Messing tweeted in response to a story on the upcoming event.

Now it appears Hollywood progressive liberals want to deny employment to people who hold the "wrong" political ideas. They also suggested doxing (harassing) people who hold the "wrong" political ideas.

I can't decide if it is totalitarian or fascist ideology (political belief) at work here - which do you think it is -
or do you agree, if you are a conservative Republican you should not be allowed to work and should be harassed?

Who will enforce the "outing" of conservative Republican's to ensure they are harassed and not allowed to work?

edit on 9/3/19 by The2Billies because: grammar formatting spelling

edit on 9/3/19 by The2Billies because: poster made comment which made me realize the post was not clear, so I cleared it up

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Alienate half of your fan base
good strategy...

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

It fascist or totalitarian when the government does it, whether you personally agree with the women in the article or not is an entirely separate matter.

edit on 3-9-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza

+17 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Didn't the Nazis also make lists of Jews in the beginning?

+29 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I read the article....

I think the headline should have been "Two washed up TV actors try to become relevant again with dumb idea".

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: acackohfcc
Alienate half of your fan base
good strategy...

Half of America doesn't vote.

So I think your numbers might be off a little.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Let them make their list, helps to know who to trust. The banned list Facebook and Google have made does have a Streisand effect to it and help reinforced a strong conservative base of media spotlight.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

It fascist or totalitarian when the government does it, whether you personally agree with the women in the article or not is an entirely separate matter.

I guess I should edit and make clear - is it facist or totalitarian ideology at work.

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   

It's free expression at work. Those two marys can ask you to boycott Trump, just like the marys who want you to boycott the NFL over Kapernick or that film about the elite because they are killing the 'deplorables'.

+11 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

It's free expression at work. Those two marys can ask you to boycott Trump, just like the marys who want you to boycott the NFL over Kapernick or that film about the elite because they are killing the 'deplorables'.

Ah but they are asking for far more than a boycott.

They are demanding people be denied employment based on their political ideology. (discrimination?)

They are also demanding that people band together to harass people based on their political ideology? (political harassment, stalking with intent to harass?)

A boycott would be to not go see their work, this is not a boycott that is being demanded, it is denying the right to work or to live in peace.

Free expression would be to say I don't like the political ideology these people hold, and even why you don't like their political ideology.

edit on 9/3/19 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   

You keep saying demanded. It's two actors from the old show Will and Grace.

They don't have the clout to make any sort of demands.... They're merely getting their names in the press so that people will remember they're not dead, maybe they'll score another TV show to work on.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies
They are demanding people be denied employment based on their political ideology. (discrimination?)

That's a boycott.

They are also demanding that people band together to harass people based on their political ideology? (political harassment, stalking with intent to harass?)

If done in a public place it's legal.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:29 AM
link   

I'm having a hard time seeing how this is any different from the blacklisting of Hollywood actors under Joseph McCarthy in the 1950's.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

You keep saying demanded. It's two actors from the old show Will and Grace.

They don't have the clout to make any sort of demands.... They're merely getting their names in the press so that people will remember they're not dead, maybe they'll score another TV show to work on.

You are right they don't have the clout to actually demand it.

But they did demand it.

To me this shows the mentality of Hollywood these days, they loathe a significant portion of their audience, and want the audience to change rather than be tolerant and accepting of others political points of view.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Since when was it legal to encourage large groups of people to harass a specific individual, and make a list of specific people to harass?
If it is legal, our country/our morals/our values are really screwed up.

Denying one the right or ability to secure employment is NOT a boycott, denying the right to artistic creation is NOT a boycott.
Not going to see their work or purchase their work (movie, etc) is a boycott.

i.e. Outside of Hollywood: I don't like ... political ideology therefore I will demand that no one be allowed to employ ...
Sounds like Hitler in WWII with Jews
I don't like ... political ideology therefore, I will demand that everyone harasses .... on a daily basis.
Really sounds like Hitler in WWII with the Jews

edit on 9/3/19 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

McCarthy was the government, these two nudnicks aren't.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   

To me this shows the mentality of Hollywood these days, they loathe a significant portion of their audience, and want the audience to change rather than be tolerant and accepting of others political points of view.

You're using an example of two old TV show "stars" to hyper-exaggerate some sort of exodus in Hollywood. Hollywood has been heavily slanted for decades, and every few months we hear of an actor making an outrageous claim to get their name back in the public.

But this happens every presidential cycle from both sides. Both sides will go out of their way to paint the opposition in power as crazy, anti-American, and usually they'll try to find a way to claim the president is illegitimate.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   

President Trump’s fundraiser is set to take place in Beverly Hills during Emmys week,

I love the Emmy's

'

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies
Since when was it legal to encourage large groups of people to harass a specific individual, and make a list of specific people to harass?

Since 1789.

If it is legal, our country/our morals/our values are really screwed up.

You may think the Constitution is screwed up but I don't.

Denying employment is NOT a boycott...

Sure it is, just like when union protesters stand on the sidewalk in front of their place of employment during a strike and demand to have the replacement workers fired.

Really sounds like Hitler in WWII with the Jews

Really sounds like you don't understand free expression. You don't have to like what they're saying but they have the right to say it.

edit on 3-9-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Denying employment is NOT a boycott, denying the right to artistic creation is NOT a boycott.

Do you think that's going to happen, or is this "story" going to drift off into nothingburger land?

Sounds like Hitler in WWII with Jews I don't like ... political ideology therefore, I will demand that everyone harasses .... on a daily basis. Really sounds like Hitler in WWII with the Jews

I think we read different accounts on what happened... Because the one I read doesn't even have this "story" as close to the Holocaust.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join