It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hong Kong protests may have gone past the point of no return

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Embattled Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam said she has caused “unforgivable havoc” by igniting the political crisis engulfing the city and would quit if she had a choice, according to an audio recording of remarks she made last week to a group of businesspeople.

At the closed-door meeting, Lam told the group that she now has “very limited” room to resolve the crisis because the unrest has become a national security and sovereignty issue for China amid rising tensions with the United States.

“If I have a choice,” she said, speaking in English, “the first thing is to quit, having made a deep apology.”

Special Report: Hong Kong leader says she would 'quit' if she could, fears her ability to resolve crisis now 'very limited'

It seems China has Carrie Lam under their influence and the protesters can't be stopped. It has clearly gone beyond what it started as. The original demands were meet and the protests still continued. The once leaders have lost control and it has taken on a life of it's own.

They can see what China has in store for them. I hope they get the freedom they have glimpsed and the price is small.

DDG image search

edit on 2-9-2019 by LookingAtMars because: add pics

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

The police have definitely upped their response in the last few days, more aggressive even with surrendering protesters, probably due to the protesters putting 30+ stations out of action over the weekend. And riot cops were still on the streets in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

The hardcore protesters are not budging thus far, despite the fact that cops seem to be targeting ring leaders. And it should also be noted that a few days ago, a fake press kit complete with smoke bombs was found, could've been planted as a pretext, or even to discredit, but things do not seem to be calming down

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Flagg....Lordy . Did you see the numbers there in that crowd scene.....half a million....idk

Oh Lordy.....this world we live in....God love all the people.....

God love all of us....
edit on 2-9-2019 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

edit on 2-9-2019 by GBP/JPY because: That Airbus FELL about 3 feet......

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Were the demands met? I thought the extradition laws were simply postponed rather than completely removed. Hong Kong is well aware of the slow process of diplomatic integration (relative to the speed of military occupation). It's a difficult situation. The West is unlikely to do anything. The protestors are on their own.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ManWhoWasThursday

Staying out of Chinese wars is the first thing everyone would agree on. The last two wars were not only started by Europe, but the occupation of China. So all the protesters asking for West to help are a bunch of idiots and need to go through history lessons again. Smart people know that CCP is part of the reason, I'm pretty sure they are regretting it for removing Chinese history lessons. Only idiots will try to rewrite history, Japan ehm.
edit on 2-9-2019 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManWhoWasThursday
Were the demands met? I thought the extradition laws were simply postponed rather than completely removed. Hong Kong is well aware of the slow process of diplomatic integration (relative to the speed of military occupation). It's a difficult situation. The West is unlikely to do anything. The protestors are on their own.

You are right they were not completely meet. They could of called it a victory though and fought it again if it was brought back off the shelf.

The law has been shelved, but Lam has been unable to end the upheaval. Protesters have expanded their demands to include complete withdrawal of the proposal, a concession her administration has so far refused.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I hate this world and look forward to the day evil hearts are forever
vanquished.

And it will happen soon.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   

To be fair I wouldn't call it much of a victory. It would be like saying the installation of a totalitarian government in 6 months rather than in 1 month is a significant victory. It's still going to happen. They (the protestors) should keep up the protests while they have the momentum and the eyes of the world. That's my opinion on the matter anyways.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManWhoWasThursday

To be fair I wouldn't call it much of a victory. It would be like saying the installation of a totalitarian government in 6 months rather than in 1 month is a significant victory. It's still going to happen. They (the protestors) should keep up the protests while they have the momentum and the eyes of the world. That's my opinion on the matter anyways.

I agree 100%.

It is now or never for them, China will be sure not to let this happen again.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   
As if it couldn’t get any more obvious, other demonstrators showed up waving American flags, and singing the national anthem of the United States. These people are begging for help, or at least some level of public support.

In either case, the situation in Hong Kong is a perfect example of why we need and must keep the Second Amendment here in America.

twitter.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   
im half chinese, i went to hong kong years ago. if you were stupid enough not to jump ship when the english handed it over to china, and china said, 'do not worry, nothing will change'
well then, why are you complaining?

all these people's parents should have left, when it was still under western law.

i hate the commies. (especially considering the chinese did not want, they were influenced by spies sent in from the inter-national families.) the commies burnt down a bunch of things my relatives owned in china.

and once i heard that story, i knew, never go to china.
and i knew, never go to hong kong either lol

i was in newark nj, and some 'locals' got upset with me, because i stopped my car, and took pictures of an ABANDONED firehouse. incredible giant brick victorian, just empty, cause, who wants to live in newark, right?
anyways, these locals start coming at me, its broad daylight, i think its amusing, until my friend told me we gotta go. she grew up there, and said this is dangerous.

so i smiled, waved, hopped in the car, and left.

see, you dont go to certain areas of newark.
you do not go to certain countries under dictatorship.
like, i do not go to europe, because they have thought crimes and no freedom of speech there.

its all the same nonsense! lol.

if you are in hong kong, why are you having children? (i chose not to have kids based on life events. if i can do it, why cant others?)

anyone in hong kong, is stuck there.

the only hope? the chinese army revolts. considering any army is mostly made up of s0ciopaths. and 95% of all politicians are ALSO s0ciopaths. and the ruling families of the earth are inbred, increasing the occurrence of s0ciopathy, well then, there is not much hope.

they are trying to destroy our republic here. hopefully it can stay free for another 80 years or so.

tho, if mtv-cnn-fox has a say about it, our freedoms will be gone much sooner than later.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   
This should really bring it into perspective for those who act appalled when I, or others, say that sometimes people need to stay and fight for their homes.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 06:08 PM
link   

The original reason for the protests is the power China exerts over HK. They want REAL elections as they were promised. Not 1200 pro Chinese people who vote for the pro Chinese mouthpiece and the other millions of HK residents get no say.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: dantanna

The people of HK should have fought the China deal in the 90s. They didn't and now they will suffer the consequences. Part of HK was actual British territory, not on loan. In the 90s had HK demanded to not be given to China they could have won, China would not have started a war over it at that time.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   
The human being In me fully supports peoples desire to shake the big brother government of China. Desire to be free is part of human nature. All the news out of china about the social credit system, cameras that monitor if students in school are paying attention to the lesson, public shaming (im kind of torn on this one), open persecution of minorities, lack of freedom of speech to name a few and Beijing-net.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 09:51 PM
link   
The best marker to look for would be a political revolt in a different place in China.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum i think the cops have been replaced by the army in cops uniform the police would be nackerd out on the frontline every day just a thought

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 08:42 AM
link   
King Kong went to Hong Kong playing ping-pong with his ding-dong.
Sorry. I had to.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I wish the people of Hong Kong the best. I fear that they are going to get crushed by the Chinese machine. there isn't much we can do in ways to stop it if China decides to crack down tiananmen square style.

Honestly I don't see where both sides reach an accommodation that works for both sides.

A Violent crushing of HK by the Chinese will be disastrous for the Chinese economically.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

That wasn't going to happen because the British would want that to happen. The people of 90's didn't really want war. Russia will see it as a massive threat after USSR was dissolving. It basically means the NATO, if they ever join broke all treaties. Also Serbian war was happening. Inb4, don't mess with China. It took entire Europe to even get into China under 8 nation alliance. So if Brits join and called NATO in, they are really asking for it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join