It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump is raising your taxes today

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 04:22 AM
link   
This is not true. Here in Japan we pay almost 100 bucks for a pair of high quality Levis Jeans made in Vietnam. Remember Levis going over seas to have consumers pay less, bs. So is this title of the tread.
I'll post the link: finance.yahoo.com...

This is not true. Prices are increasing due to shipping cost and wage increases in China. Even if prices increase, have you bought a pair of Mexican made jeans in Kmart for 10 bucks, I did, 2 years ago while visiting. We can buy 10 dollars jeans here made in China at the super marker and that is a fact.
So the tariffs are going to break the pocket book of the Americans, bs. How much are a pound of bing cherries. When I left the States, they were 49 cents a pounds and you picked them up with a scoop. So how much are they today? Do they rot because they are 3.50 a pound.

Americans are being programmed to be being dumb down with such lies.

By the way, how much is a new Toyota truck these days? 42000 bucks last time I checked. People still buying them, yes.

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Anything Yahoo does has swung so far to the left I treat them like CNN and try not to look at anything they publish.

I think it was a little over 3 years ago was my last trip to the states. We were going to stay 3 months but I cut it short to just one month. Admittedly my cost of living is cheaper in Asia but the price of stuff I used to pay $2 for now almost cost 5 and the container is half empty. We could have stayed longer because I ain't poor but I just felt like we were getting ripped off at every turn. My wife does like Ross dress for less !! hahaha

It would be cheaper to buy a 2d hand car than rent a car.. The only thing I was very satisfied with was Texas Road House and their steaks plus all the golfing we did with friends ..

edit on 727stk19 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 04:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

Anything Yahoo does has swung so far to the left I treat them like CNN and try not to look at anything they publish.

I think it was a little over 3 years ago was my last trip to the states. We were going to stay 3 months but I cut it short to just one month. Admittedly my cost of living is cheaper in Asia but the price of stuff I used to pay $2 for now almost cost 5 and the container is half empty. We could have stayed longer because I ain't poor but I just felt like we were getting ripped off at every turn. My wife does like Ross dress for less !! hahaha

It would be cheaper to buy a 2d hand car than rent a car.. The only thing I was very satisfied with was Texas Road House and their steaks plus all the golfing we did with friends ..

Glad you enjoyed the States. When I visited I was like, wow! What happened, but then again my hometown was in the rural midwest. Chinese restaurants were new to me and so were Mexican restaurants on about every mile. I know, time changes everything. It did take me a while to understand why the isle at the cash register was widen, people couldn't fit through them. I'm not saying Asian people are wafer thin, they are not, but my goodness, I was shocked .
Do I miss the States, well at my age, living in a foreign country has more negs to it , but one won't know till they get up in age. Things might change in about 20 some years but by then ... The health care seems to be reasonable. Now only pay about 600 bucks USD for 2 of us a year with no deductible.

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 05:15 AM
link   

16 oz of bing cherries at walmart is not $3.50 that would be crazy...there $2.24.

.49c would be a dream.

grocery.walmart.com...
edit on 1-9-2019 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Yahoo. Nothing more needs to be said. Yahoo news sucks in general, and when it comes to Trump it should be labeled satire.

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

16 oz of bing cherries at walmart is not $3.50 that would be crazy...there $2.24.

.49c would be a dream.

grocery.walmart.com...

I think I was pricing them at a Brentwood market next to Pacific Palisades on Sun Set Blvd Calif.

You can't believe what we pay here. I'll check but your high end grapes go for 20 bucks a bunch.

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Tariffs are a tax.

Tariffs in the US are rising today.

Trump set the new tariffs.

Trump has raised your taxes today.

Seems a 100% accurate.

Other factors also influence prices rising but that doesn't make the statement false.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
Tariffs are a tax.

Seems a 100% accurate.

Other factors also influence prices rising but that doesn't make the statement false.

sigh

NO IT ISNT THE TRUTH

a tariff only effects the SPECIFIC PRODUCT you want to buy

a tax effects all products .

you can get (for example) an electric extension chord made in china
the tariff will apply

if you get one made in USA... it doesnt

this BS is getting more silly by the day

scrounger

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: scrounger

originally posted by: ScepticScot
Tariffs are a tax.

Seems a 100% accurate.

sigh

NO IT ISNT THE TRUTH

a tariff only effects the SPECIFIC PRODUCT you want to buy

a tax effects all products .

you can get (for example) an electric extension chord made in china
the tariff will apply

if you get one made in USA... it doesnt

this BS is getting more silly by the day

scrounger

Tariffs are a tax. You can chose not to smoke, doesn't make duty on cigarettes not a tax.

Also if you were buying an electric extension cord from China its probably because it was the cheapest for what you need. If the cheapest one is now the previously more expensive US one then the tariffs have raised your cost of living.

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Try as you might to explain this concept, but it's like showing card trick to a dog

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody

Try as you might to explain this concept, but it's like showing card trick to a dog

It's possible to make a case for increasing tariffs, I might disagree but it's at least a legitimate argument

Claiming they aren't a tax however is denying reality.

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   

If said extension chord last 3x longer and only cost twice as much you got a deal. Effecient doesnt just mean cheap price, there are other factors to consider.

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   

The Chinese are victims of their own success, they are at the point now where their economy is developed to the point where workers demand higher wages so what brought companies there in the first place, cheap labor, is now more expensive than alternatives.

I am not sure what your point is about cherries or Toyota trucks, the price of cherries varies seasonally. Off season they come from south America and are thus expensive.

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLead

If said extension chord last 3x longer and only cost twice as much you got a deal. Effecient doesnt just mean cheap price, there are other factors to consider.

And if you had needed one that last 3 times as long or could afford one that costs twice as much then you would have bought that one in the first place.

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   

So keep the useless waste alive to keep perpetuating a cycle of need. Immediatary decisions have long term costs, we need to do better in this area anyway. If thats you're arguement dont dare tell people how much you care about the enviroment.

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Tariffs are a tax.

Yes, a tax on, in this case, certain imported goods from China.

That's what I hear.

Yes, he did.

No, Trump has raised China's taxes today. Now, if you want to make the argument that those additional taxes will be passed to the consumer, fine. But the tariffs are not a direct tax on Americans.

I keep seeing posts every so often when the "Trump good/Trump bad" argument comes up (as it inevitably always does) that poke fun at the idea that some MAGA hats are made in China. But then the same posters get all bent out of shape when the idea of taxing China comes up. Around these parts, that's what we call "hypocrisy." It is considered a bad thing.

Really, the problem isn't China, though... it's us. I recently realized I needed some iron foil for a project idea to test out. Should be easy enough, right? After all, steel is affordable, and iron is just steel without the carbon and other alloys. Well, it turns out, it's not too bad. e Bay has some from China/Hong Kong that is $11.98 with free shipping for a 0.1mm thick 100mm x 1000mm roll. Not terrible. Can I get some from the US and get it faster? Well, turns out, yes I can! Sigma Aldrich has something similar: 0.1mm thick, 99.9% pure (as opposed to 99.995% pure) iron foil, and the cost is $285.00 for 100 square cm. The China roll, which is 4.2% of the price, contains ten times as much foil at a higher purity!

Now, I understand China is using slave labor rates and doesn't have the expensive regulations we do, but ten times as much for 1/25th the cost, free shipping, and higher quality? Sigma Aldrich has a few screws loose, if you ask me.

My point is that Trump is trying to protect America from itself. We have become a nation that only produces what we have to produce, what the majority of people want, and anything outside that narrow world view is tremendously expensive. China, on the other hand, produces whatever people will buy and takes a longer-term approach to business. So, we have a choice: either keep supporting China, thereby ensuring that no US companies who wish to do so can start up to compete; or equalize the playing field for our country at least so US companies that provide jobs for US citizens and pay US taxes have a reasonable chance to start up.

Somewhere there is probably someone right now in the US looking for something to produce. They've got the money available; they have the desire to work for themselves; they have the business sense to know how to handle the start-up. What they don't have is customers. Sure, they can start producing iron foil like China and put it up on eBay too, but their price will be higher than that from China. They simply don't have the economies of scale working in their favor like China does. So they wisely pass on the idea.

Now, raise the cost on that iron foil from China, and someone might take a chance. That's a new company that is hiring new US workers, that are paying taxes, not accessing social charity services, and contributing to the economy. Of course, China can simply suck it up and drop their prices to keep their market share, but that means more money to the US Treasury and less to China. That is actually what has been happening.

Either way, the US wins and China loses.

"Trump bad" only applies in this situation if someone is looking out for the economic well-being of China.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   
The same people that said the last set of tariffs would implode the economy are calling this a tax hike.

Sorry folks your credibility is about ZERO at this point. You all have shown time and time again you know nothing about trade, taxes, and the economy.

Eta: I'm actually one of those people who just bought a new Toyota. You know because the economy is so bad under Trump...
edit on 1-9-2019 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

Tariffs are a tax.

Yes, a tax on, in this case, certain imported goods from China.

That's what I hear.

Yes, he did.

No, Trump has raised China's taxes today. Now, if you want to make the argument that those additional taxes will be passed to the consumer, fine. But the tariffs are not a direct tax on Americans.

I keep seeing posts every so often when the "Trump good/Trump bad" argument comes up (as it inevitably always does) that poke fun at the idea that some MAGA hats are made in China. But then the same posters get all bent out of shape when the idea of taxing China comes up. Around these parts, that's what we call "hypocrisy." It is considered a bad thing.

Really, the problem isn't China, though... it's us. I recently realized I needed some iron foil for a project idea to test out. Should be easy enough, right? After all, steel is affordable, and iron is just steel without the carbon and other alloys. Well, it turns out, it's not too bad. e Bay has some from China/Hong Kong that is $11.98 with free shipping for a 0.1mm thick 100mm x 1000mm roll. Not terrible. Can I get some from the US and get it faster? Well, turns out, yes I can! Sigma Aldrich has something similar: 0.1mm thick, 99.9% pure (as opposed to 99.995% pure) iron foil, and the cost is $285.00 for 100 square cm. The China roll, which is 4.2% of the price, contains ten times as much foil at a higher purity!

Now, I understand China is using slave labor rates and doesn't have the expensive regulations we do, but ten times as much for 1/25th the cost, free shipping, and higher quality? Sigma Aldrich has a few screws loose, if you ask me.

My point is that Trump is trying to protect America from itself. We have become a nation that only produces what we have to produce, what the majority of people want, and anything outside that narrow world view is tremendously expensive. China, on the other hand, produces whatever people will buy and takes a longer-term approach to business. So, we have a choice: either keep supporting China, thereby ensuring that no US companies who wish to do so can start up to compete; or equalize the playing field for our country at least so US companies that provide jobs for US citizens and pay US taxes have a reasonable chance to start up.

Somewhere there is probably someone right now in the US looking for something to produce. They've got the money available; they have the desire to work for themselves; they have the business sense to know how to handle the start-up. What they don't have is customers. Sure, they can start producing iron foil like China and put it up on eBay too, but their price will be higher than that from China. They simply don't have the economies of scale working in their favor like China does. So they wisely pass on the idea.

Now, raise the cost on that iron foil from China, and someone might take a chance. That's a new company that is hiring new US workers, that are paying taxes, not accessing social charity services, and contributing to the economy. Of course, China can simply suck it up and drop their prices to keep their market share, but that means more money to the US Treasury and less to China. That is actually what has been happening.

Either way, the US wins and China loses.

"Trump bad" only applies in this situation if someone is looking out for the economic well-being of China.

TheRedneck

Tariffs are applied to imports at America's end. Trump has a lot of power as US president but he certainly can't change Chinese taxes.

By applying a tariffs he is going raise the cost of those goods to American consumers. If an American company could produce the same good at the same price they already would do.

As I said above you can make an argument in favour of tarrifs (and different workers rights standards is one of the better ones) but the idea that Tariffs aren't a tax is denying reality.

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLead

So keep the useless waste alive to keep perpetuating a cycle of need. Immediatary decisions have long term costs, we need to do better in this area anyway. If thats you're arguement dont dare tell people how much you care about the enviroment.

Completely different argument.

If you want environmental costs included in goods price then argue in favour of an externality tax ,(I have done in different threads).

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Taxes are awful. Hospitals, schools, police departments and roads etc. should build themselves.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join