It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The United Kingdom doesn’t exist.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: PaddyInf
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Calling people who disagree with you xenophobic arsewipes, scumbags, racists, weak minded and idiots just suggests immature thinking. Stamp your feet and call names. You seem to imply that you are better than these people, and anyone who disagrees is obviously stupid. How very egotistical.

17.2 million people disagreed with what you believe. This was for a variety of reasons and I'm sure there were arseholes among them. There were also some extremely intelligent people who formed an opinion based on supposition and evidence you or I may not agree with. This does not make them wrong. Nor does it make us wrong.

This type of language only forces more division in an already divided state.

You don't want to hear the word democracy. Well unlucky. Just because we disagree with the result doesn't mean the people who voted that way are lesser beings.

Well said.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
a reply to: eletheia
Yeah, I don't get that either.

I'd reckon right now a majority in Scotland want more powers devolved. Over things like drug laws, for example, where the current system just isn't working.

And sure, a very significant minority want independence. But it's wrong to frame their desire for independence in terms of simply swopping Masters, from London to Brussels. Most just want a real choice, over how we're governed, by whom, the policies they implement, the international organisations we join etc.

And if our choices are crap, well we've only ourselves to blame as they bite us on the a$$. Choice & responsibility, by Scots for Scots. I honestly don't see what the problem is, if that's what folk end up voting for. I'm confident that's coming, independence, and if we re-join the EU then hell, that's just up to us and we'll need to make it work.

Me, in my mid-50's, it's more personal things that matter to me long term I'm worrying about. I've paid into the UK national insurance system for 30 odd years now, will I get my state pension if we're independent ? I've paid into the UK forces and civil service pension schemes for that same period, will that be honoured too ? Just basic questions that so far nobody can answer but which I really need answers to.

Me ? I'm not voting on Thursday. It's not out of indifference to politics, or disinterest. I've just got very good reasons not to vote for any of them. Politics locally are blatantly sectarian, you have no idea what's going on, seriously. It's disgusting stuff.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

It is very troubling. This illusion of democracy.
Is the U.K. a democracy or Monarchy?
The U.S. is a Constitutional Republic not
a democracy. Still, the EU/UK are really stringing
the voters along. I vaguely remember Oct. 31st
was a deadline?

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TheShippingForecast

I get that, it's just hard to rationalize getting independence from England only to hand power over to Brussels.
Not my circus, not my monkeys though.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Did you see the Brexit drinks deal one pub has going- ask the bartender for a drink and he'll give you something else.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

That's two of us mate.

Don't like being 'dictated' to by England despite devolved powers so free themselves from those 'shackles' just to become a very small voice and a bit of an irrelevance in an even bigger and undemocratic Union.

Can't get my head around that.

But, Scotland will do as Scotland see's fit.....which is as it should be.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: PaddyInf

You have democracy. You voted to stay in the UK in 2014 and all that this entails. The UK voted out.

Yes in the context we would stay in Europe. There is a name for dissenters of democracy.

posted on Dec, 8 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer

Yes in the context we would stay in Europe. There is a name for dissenters of democracy.

Really?

A referendum took place on Thursday 18 September 2014 on Scottish independence from the United Kingdom.

The referendum question was, "Should Scotland be an independent country?", which voters answered

with "YES" or "NO".

"No" won with 2,001,926 (55.3%) voting against independence and 1,617,989 (44.7%) voting in favour.

The turnout of 84.6% was the highest recorded for an election or referendum in the United Kingdom since the January 1910 general election.

The Scottish Independence Referendum Act 2013 set out the arrangements for the referendum and was passed by the Scottish Parliament in November 2013, following an agreement between the devolved Scottish government and the Government of the United Kingdom.

Where is the proviso about anyone staying in the EU ?

posted on Dec, 9 2019 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: purplemer
a reply to: PaddyInf

You have democracy. You voted to stay in the UK in 2014 and all that this entails. The UK voted out.

That is merely an assumption. It wasn't stated anywhere in the literature leading up to the independence vote. Agreeing to stay in the UK means that Scotland agreed to abide by the UK democratic system and all that this entails.

Democracy doesn't only count if you agree with the outcome.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join