It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Increase in Mass Shooting Events in the United States

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 11:29 PM
link   
From my life's experience (I'm 55 now) I seem to have observed an exponential increase in the frequency of mass shooting events with increasing casualties. From the point of view of my life time, and from the point of view of many modern historians, the mass shooting events began with the Texas Bell Tower Sniper on August 1, 1966. A rare and shocking event at that time, one I was too young to have remembered.

I do however remember the mass shooting incidents from the early 1990s that coined the term "going postal". Two of those incidents happened near Detroit when I lived there, one in 1991 and another in 1993. To me, this seems to be around the time that mass shootings started to get worse. It used to be something that happened very rarely, like decades apart. Then it became more frequent like every few years, then every year, then a few times per year. Now it seems like a few every month with ever more casualties.

So I've been looking into the subject to try and either prove or disprove what I have been thinking. I went with the common meaning of a mass shooting event using the following definition of a mass shooting to try and understand the numbers. The basic definition being there are 3 to 4 or more victims murdered by a single shooter.

There was an average of 2.3 mass shootings per year in the U.S. in the 1990s. Even less in the 2000s, 2.1 mass shooting per year.

From 2010 to the present we have had an average of 6.2 mass shootings per year. 2018 had the most with 12 per year, or an average of one per month.

37 Years of Mass Shootings

Wikipedia had these figures . . .

Some studies indicate that the rate at which public mass shootings occur has tripled since 2011. Between 1982 and 2011, a mass shooting occurred roughly once every 200 days. However, between 2011 and 2014, that rate has accelerated greatly with at least one mass shooting occurring every 64 days in the United States.

Mass shootings in the United States

The number of mass shootings per year remained consistently low but got higher starting in 2012 and went up from there until we reached an average of one per month in 2018.

Obviously I have noticed a real trend here, but I wonder why? What could have caused such an increase? What happened beginning around 2012 to have this progress the way it has?

I'd like to see what others here come up with while I look in to it myself and add new posts.
edit on 1-9-2019 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I have only two words:

AGENDA
DRIVEN

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 11:34 PM
link   
It's sad. I suggest that if you are feeling in any way depressed about it you see a doctor and get prescribed anti-depressants.

As for what is causing this, I haven't the slightest clue.........

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

What could have caused such an increase? What happened beginning around 2012 to have this progress the way it has?

Good post man...

It may not fall into your timeline, but TPTB have been stressing us out for quite a few decades.

Why come up with multiple plans to bring society to its knees when you can trigger one event that will cause them to eat their own for years to come..?

Blood in the Streets is the only answer, but that triggering event has yet to happen.

Clean those barrels, buy that ammo, communicate on the DL...

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Well, one thing that happened in 2012, and I feel like a troll for saying it but, Barack Obama was reelected President of the United States. That was the first thing to come to my mind though, not that it could be a causal factor really.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 11:45 PM
link   
A lot of factors at play, hard to nail it down.

psychnews.psychiatryonline.org...

www.nbcnews.com...

It seems usage is only increasing with time.
edit on 31-8-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 11:47 PM
link   
There has always been mass shootings, but they used to be drug or gang related before most of the time. There were also Domestic dispute killings. These type of mass killings are not the same, I can't understand why the number of this type of senseless killings of random people is happening. Society needs to quit pushing negativity and division. We need to come together as a country and not get sucked into picking sides and be civil. We are Americans, we have a relationship to all other Americans in the country, no matter what color we are. No matter what sex we are. We do not kill our own people and we must not leave in those from other countries that want to kill us. We must not let trouble makers divide our people.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I wonder what the numbers look like, when comparing mass shootings with anti-depressant prescription rates.

I think it is time to confront big pharma; their fingerprints are all over most of these tragedies...

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 11:48 PM
link   
The Fukushima disaster happened the year before, not much to connect that one. Or is there?

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
I wonder what the numbers look like, when comparing mass shootings with anti-depressant prescription rates.

I think it is time to confront big pharma; their fingerprints are all over most of these tragedies...

"One reason contributing to the popularity of antidepressants is the expansion of their indications. “Many patients are given antidepressants for non-depression diagnoses, such as anxiety, sleep, and neuropathic pain,” Donovan Maust, M.D., M.S., a geriatric psychiatrist and assistant professor of psychiatry at the University of Michigan, told Psychiatric News."

Hand them out like candy and collect that sweet cash.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Yeah that, that's one that will need some deeper research. I bet there is a connection with that.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Meh. When you consider population size, these are still a statistical blip at most. We are talking about something less likely than getting struck by lightning (nearly 1000 Americans struck per year) or winning the Powerball lottery (90 winners in 2018). Why treat it as some massive issue, let alone one of the primary issues presently in a nation filled with far more significant major problems?

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 11:54 PM
link   

A "mass shooting" is only defined by how many people are murdered, and not how many were hit by a bullet fired by the shooter?

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 11:56 PM
link   

The number of Americans who say they've taken an antidepressant over the past month rose by 65 percent between 1999 and 2014, a new government survey finds. By 2014, about one in every eight Americans over the age of 12 reported recent antidepressant use, according to a report released Tuesday from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Antidepressant use in U.S.

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

A "mass shooting" is only defined by how many people are murdered, and not how many were hit by a bullet fired by the shooter?

Wikipedia . . .

Definitions There is no fixed definition of a mass shooting in the United States.[4][17] The Investigative Assistance for Violent Crimes Act of 2012, signed into law in January 2013, defines a "mass killing" as one resulting in at least 3 victims, excluding the perpetrator.[18][4][19][20] In 2015, the Congressional Research Service defined a mass shooting — for the purposes of its report entitled “Mass Murder with Firearms” — as "a multiple homicide incident in which four or more victims are murdered with firearms, within one event, and in one or more locations in close proximity".[21] A broader definition, as used by the Gun Violence Archive, is that of "4 or more shot or killed, not including the shooter".[22] This definition, of four people shot regardless of whether or not that results in injury or death, is often used by the media, press, and non-profit organizations.

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

"One reason contributing to the popularity of antidepressants is the expansion of their indications. “Many patients are given antidepressants for non-depression diagnoses, such as anxiety, sleep, and neuropathic pain,” Donovan Maust, M.D., M.S., a geriatric psychiatrist and assistant professor of psychiatry at the University of Michigan, told Psychiatric News."

Hand them out like candy and collect that sweet cash.

Antidepressants are acetylcholineesterase promoters,they promote the breakdown of acetylcholine . Why would you need to increase the breakdown of acetylcholine, what would cause it to go high?

Organophosphates are acetylcholineesterase inhibitors....They block the enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine. So is glyphosate and a few other of the chemicals they use on foods. If acetylcholine gets out of whack it can cause all sorts of problems, from anxiety to depression to swings in mood to nervous system problems if the level gets too high or too low.

They may say that the residue from these pesticides and herbicides is GRAS in food but they ignore this and with increases in the use of it more and more people are going to need meds to be normal. I know quite a bit how these meds work, and I also know how some groups of chemicals used in our food work to kill pests and microbes. I can see why we are getting so many more people who need meds to remain calm and collective. Plant defense system chemicals can also make people a little crazy, remember Cain killed Abel.

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 12:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
From my life's experience (I'm 55 now) I seem to have observed an exponential increase in the frequency of mass shooting events with increasing casualties. From the point of view of my life time, and from the point of view of many modern historians, the mass shooting events began with the Texas Bell Tower Sniper on August 1, 1966. A rare and shocking event at that time, one I was too young to have remembered.

I do however remember the mass shooting incidents from the early 1990s that coined the term "going postal". Two of those incidents happened near Detroit when I lived there, one in 1991 and another in 1993. To me, this seems to be around the time that mass shootings started to get worse. It used to be something that happened very rarely, like decades apart. Then it became more frequent like every few years, then every year, then a few times per year. Now it seems likes a few every month with ever more casualties.

So I've been looking into the subject to try and either prove or disprove what I have been thinking. I went with the common meaning of a mass shooting event using the following definition of a mass shooting to try and understand the numbers. The basic definition being there are 3 to 4 or more victims murdered by a single shooter.

There was an average of 2.3 mass shootings per year in the U.S. in the 1990s. Even less in the 2000s, 2.1 mass shooting per year.

From 2010 to the present we have had an average of 6.2 mass shootings per year. 2018 had the most with 12 per year, or an average of one per month.

37 Years of Mass Shootings

Wikipedia had these figures . . .

Some studies indicate that the rate at which public mass shootings occur has tripled since 2011. Between 1982 and 2011, a mass shooting occurred roughly once every 200 days. However, between 2011 and 2014, that rate has accelerated greatly with at least one mass shooting occurring every 64 days in the United States.

Mass shootings in the United States

The number of mass shootings per year remained consistently low but got higher starting in 2012 and went up from there until we reached an average of one per month in 2018.

Obviously I have noticed a real trend here, but I wonder why? What could have caused such an increase? What happened beginning around 2012 to have this progress the way it has?

I'd like to see what others here come up with while I look in to it myself and add new posts.

I'm curious how many of the killers identified as or were identified as Democrat/liberal types...

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 12:11 AM
link   
This one must be the reason for the increase of mass shootings starting in 2012. The states of Washington and Colorado become the first states to legalize marijuana. Pot is the gateway drug that not only makes you crazy and like jazz music, but apparently it causes you to become a mass shooter as well.

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Iscool

Probably within the range of the usual populace split.

I'm sure the bigger imbalance points again to the anti-depressants.

It's hard to come across a source that collects the data, but given that around 16 percent of the population(1 in 6, per some sources) are on AD's, the mass shooters are probably well above that(triple? or more).

That seems to be of bigger significance.
edit on 1-9-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
This one must be the reason for the increase of mass shootings starting in 2012. The states of Washington and Colorado become the first states to legalize marijuana. Pot is the gateway drug that not only makes you crazy and like jazz music, but apparently it causes you to become a mass shooter as well.

Careful,

A lot of people don't have a sense of humor and can't recognize a joke.

<<   2  3 >>

join