It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ode De Diesel, Mi Amor!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Diesel is such an aromatic fuel. It's just after 8pm, and I just got done fueling the equipment for another long day tomorrow. After greasing everything, then it was time to fuel. Man, I don't care how careful you are...you WILL get fuel on you and it smells. So, you either like it, or you take a shower.

When you've been running the gear hard on a given day, and you have to go out and lay under everything to grease it....you get fuel all over you!!

Fuel and hydraulic fluid. Both of them smell (but they're flowers to me)...and stink to my wife.

Few understand.

We go through more cat litter than a zoo of cats!!

Any man who doesn't like the smell of Go-Jo...isn't a man!!

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I hate diesel. It stays on you for along time. Always wear gloves when refueling, and wear a Tyvec suit. I keep a case of those on hand. The yellow ones are good for diesel. Your wife will thank you

edit on 31-8-2019 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 09:30 PM
link   
It does have a lot more energy by weight compared to gasoline

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

Technically diesel has about the same energy by weight, but about 20% more energy by volume (per gallon).

Diesel has denser hydrocarbon chains so is heavier than gasoline.

Sorry... my mechanic-geek came out when I read that...

And yes, it isn't the best perfume available either.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

But it really is a good perfume, now isn't it?!!

Diesel gets the "work done"!

I'll take that smell any day!

Many years ago I used to work for this Italian dirt work outfit, a big operation. I was a Supt. The owner used to say...."I wanna seeya- the black-a smoke. If-a I don' see the black-ah smoke...the iron...she's a not-ah workin' for ah me...!! I give-ah you my BLOOD...you work-ah for me...you make-ah the iron blow the black-ah smoke for me. She blow the black-ah smoke or she ain'-ah workin'...okay??? You 'stand' me????

My answer.... YES...SIR!!!

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Depends on the person, I guess.... I separate hydrocarbons for a living.

I occasionally get bathed in a mix of hydrocarbons that includes methane, pentane, ethane, propane and butane.

I think the smell is heavenly.

You'd call it NGL... it makes my world go round.

Diesel? Not so much.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 10:29 PM
link   

You're AWESOME.

Just sayin'!

ETA...I'm sittin' here throwin' out stuff people can identify with, and you're thowin' out things which make me go way back!!!
edit on 8/31/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I wear a hazmat suit just changing a light bulb. You're all freaks.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Many years ago I used to work for this Italian dirt work outfit, a big operation. I was a Supt. The owner used to say...."I wanna seeya- the black-a smoke. If-a I don' see the black-ah smoke...the iron...she's a not-ah workin' for ah me...!! I give-ah you my BLOOD...you work-ah for me...you make-ah the iron blow the black-ah smoke for me. She blow the black-ah smoke or she ain'-ah workin'...okay??? You 'stand' me????

That’s funny but most people don’t know too much black smoke means the motor is running way to rich and costing you extra in fuel. The fools that like to “roll coal” because it’s cool are just sending their motor to an early grave.

I love the smell of diesel in the morning.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: visitedbythem

Technically diesel has about the same energy by weight, but about 20% more energy by volume (per gallon).

Diesel has denser hydrocarbon chains so is heavier than gasoline.

Sorry... my mechanic-geek came out when I read that...

And yes, it isn't the best perfume available either.

Yeah, your right. Sometimes diesel smells sour to me

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Years of exposure to jet fuel, a more refined diesel fuel, has made me hypersensitive to the stuff. Skin contact now makes me quite ill; the smell alone can cause migraines.

For many years, it didn't bother me. Now... no thank you.

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Diesel does stink, no doubt about that. I have another stinky thing, I just syphoned some gas out of my sixty seven buick, it is about eighteen year old gas, it smells terrible when we started the car last fall. I got some in my mouth, super varnish. I hauled five gallons to the hazardous waste site, a tiny bit splashed out of the can in the trunk, the smell finally went away after three weeks. I have five more gallons maybe to go, I am buying a siphon pump, I am not going to get that in my mouth again. Then fresh gas and start the car again. That was the worst smelling old gas I ever smelled or tasted.

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I prefer 2 stroke gas personally. I hate hydraulic fluid stench though.

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: gallop
I wear a hazmat suit just changing a light bulb. You're all freaks.

Odd thing is that when changing a low energy bulb you should be really - they're full of mercury powder
applies . That said the stink of diesels horrible I'd hate to have to live w this guy long term .
edit on 1-9-2019 by PrinceRegent because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   
About every other month we service all of the equipment at the shop, takes me all day. Air powered grease gun. Although I’m the boss, I like to do it myself. If I carefully look the equipment over, I know how well the men are caring for it.
I spent a few years building truck stops, odds are if you have stopped at a Pilot, I was there first, kind of a Kilroy was here. I got use to the smell of diesel fuel and hotel rooms. They seem to go hand in hand. Now I drive a Ford diesel pickup. You can get used to anything, but to me diesel smells like money.

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I love the smell of diesel in the morning, I get to enjoy it everytime I fire up the ole tow pig

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Or me it's JP-8. That takes me back to my days here in the Army. Some good memories. Some not so much.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I've found it better to fill up without my leather gloves. Rubber chemical resistant gloves would be a good choice but if you don't have those its best not to use the leather ones and here's why.

I don't want diesel fuel saturating into my leather gloves.
Once diesel works its way into leather gloves it will be in there forever!
And I will smell them every time I get into the truck. And every time I put them on for any reason I'll have diesel on my hands all over again. So I avoid at all cost getting diesel on my gloves.

I don't get diesel on my hands every time I fuel up. What will get me if I let it is the fuel cap on the tank.
The cap always stays damp with diesel and attracts dust. I wipe it off first really good then remove it bare handed and fuel up with very minimal amount of diesel on my fingers that's easily washed off with water and a paper towel. Racetrac has window washer that works well too.

I will use gloves greasing equipment though. Greasing is not my favorite subject but is a necessity which reminds me I have to get a new end for my grease gun. Its not latching on anymore.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Do relate to that, I grew up around construction machinery.....but imagine for a moment those U-boat submariners inside their iron coffins for months with the fuel tanks and engine, even the food tasted like fuel....

new topics

top topics

join