It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK civil war?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

One of the main reasons given for staying in the UK was continued membership of the EU.

The main reasons were financial

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Argyll

One of the main reasons given for staying in the UK was continued membership of the EU.

The main reasons were financial

Many reasons were given. Membership of the EU was one of the main ones. Denying that is counterfactual.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Argyll

I don't know anything about the wishes of Scottish people regarding their indy ref, but I hope they run with us and see how it pans out as a truly independent UK...if it turns out crap and they wanna vote to leave 🇬🇧, then I will support them and hope our divorce is amicable, or at the very least as in OP, no civil war ❤️

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   
...I understand the Scottish and Irish issue though if as a people they want to stay in the EU, but my local parliamentary constituency and my constituent nation of the UK voted to leave, so even though I lost, I feel compelled to run with my people now, as the majority voted for.
I hope 🇬🇧 will survive but I also passionately respect democracy so if they wanna leave then they leave with my kindest and best wishes ❤️

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Watching the arguments in parliament right now is nuts, like the biggest thing to happen in my life! I wasn't born when my parents voted for the free trade Europe thingy originally 😱

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Many reasons were given. Membership of the EU was one of the main ones. Denying that is counterfactual.

Membership of the EU was almost a footnote regarding reasons for staying in the UK

Link

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   

This totally got me in my emotional file cabinet of my mind from your link...

For over 300 years, Scotland has flourished as part of the United Kingdom. Together with England, Wales and Northern Ireland, Scotland has created one of the world’s most successful families of nations.
😍😍😍

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Membership of the EU was almost a footnote regarding reasons for staying in the UK

Link

Yes because that was literally the only thing published or discussed about Scottish independence....

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Fair enough.

There must be loads claiming EU membership as the main reason for voting to stay in the UK.

I'll wait.....

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I wonder what the majority is now in Scotland, like would Nicola Sturgeon force an indy ref against the potential wishes of Westminster (against the law) if say she got every seat over the border?
Would London really fight it as unlawful??? Could troops be sent in? The whole thing seems like scary times 😱

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Fair enough.

There must be loads claiming EU membership as the main reason for voting to stay in the UK.

I'll wait.....

It was raised numerous times in numerous forms.

Were you in Scotland during the referndum campaign?

edit on 3-9-2019 by ScepticScot because: Grammar

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DaisyRainbow

One can't just support democracy and The Right to self-Determination when it suits.
If there is such a wealth of support for a second IndyRef in Scotland then we have a moral obligation to accept that and to respect the result of any such ballot....even though many supporters of a second IndyRef passionately refuse to accept the validity of the EU referendum.

Personally my views on Scottish independence haven't changed but I accept that firstly my own views are irrelevant and that secondly and far more importantly the Scottish people's opinion may have changed.
And let's face it, given austerity and the Brexit farce in some ways I could hardly blame them.....but please don't tell them I said that!

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Lol yes, totally agree, think of 🇬🇧 like my crazy family, we wind each other up but we still cover each others backs if say the French family from the next estate try it on 😂😂😂

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I can't visualise a scenario whereby the dissolution of The Union would be beneficial to the ordinary, everyday British people.

My preferred option would be increased devolution to ALL the regions of the UK within some sort of (Con)Federation of States.

I firmly believe we are stronger together....but like I said, my opinion counts for nothing.

And again, we digress.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Totally agree!!! 👍
No digress either, same same talking about stuff on the peace/civil war spectrum 😱
edit on 3-9-2019 by DaisyRainbow because: Stupid typo 🤣

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Just read in the local website that a “ local” company has bought the rights to several oil fields in the North Sea . Now assuming they’re not the only ones ( offshore companies buying up North Sea stock ) what does that leave Scotland with ? England already puts more into Scotland than it gets back and wales is even worse . I’m not English but can’t help feeling your better off with the devil you know . How would Scotland support itself ?

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   

"Not a good start Boris"

Priceless!

Who said that?

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: SARcrew
Just read in the local website that a “ local” company has bought the rights to several oil fields in the North Sea . Now assuming they’re not the only ones ( offshore companies buying up North Sea stock ) what does that leave Scotland with ? England already puts more into Scotland than it gets back and wales is even worse . I’m not English but can’t help feeling your better off with the devil you know . How would Scotland support itself ?

Rights are always sold to private companies ( in UK at least) it's the tax revenue and licensing fees that goes to the state.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: SARcrew

Where you? I'm England ☺️
🇬🇧 Freeborn has it, communal government of our isles by region, under a united flag, almost tribelike...like it's been for like ever here tbh lmao! 😂

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Now that’s where I see a problem as some of these companies are based in offshore jurisdictions for which paying any form of tax becomes a loophole . Can you charge a tax on an exported commodity purely in it passing through your country ? One field mentioned tonight is worth 6 billion. The company that now owns it resides in an offshore jurisdiction ( which won’t get a penny of the revenue )

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join