It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Trump Tweets Sensitive Surveillance Image of Iran

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

originally posted by: fleabit
Why would you tip off other countries of your capabilities?.

Why do you assume the picture is a representation of full US military capabilities?

Why does that matter? It's either a drone in Iran airspace, or something that can take remarkably clear pictures from 120 miles out. There is no reason whatsoever to disclose this to Iran, let alone the entire frickin' world.

But what can you expect from a guy who criticizes how Hillary put everyone in "great danger" with her email server (which she did), but then keeps unsecured iPhones on his person that are only checked every 5 months or so, with everything enabled except for GPS. He is a walking security nightmare.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

The point is it doesn't matter if it was done by mistake or bragadocio or whatnot because this isn't a big deal.

Just because someone says this is super resolution no one knew the US had doesn't actually make it true.

Just because it might have been classified by the Pentagon or NRO doesn't mean it was illegal or treasonous or unconstitutional for the President to tweet it.

This is only a big deal to people who want to pick on anything Trump does.

Interesting how you think you can identify the shadow...

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Identified

Not true. There are levels of TSec the president does not have access to.

If I recall correctly, when Jimmy Carter as president requested UFO files/info he was denied by the CIA director who happened to be George H. W. Bush.

Our top Intel people know better than to give Trump too much info because he is a loose cannon. I would not be surprised if they gave him a fake 'football.'

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

So your argument is "there is no reason to disclose to Iran that the US has both advanced drone and reconnaissance capabilities"?

I'm guessing the Iranians knew that ... everyone does.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   

You might want to Google or wiki KH-9, KH-11, Rayleigh Limits, and RQ-170 for you to understand this is not "secret" information of what res we are capable of.

2017 WaPo Article

One estimate of the resolution of the successor to the KH-11 puts the possible resolution in the range of 10 centimeters-per-pixel.

edit on 31-8-2019 by Identified because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Carter could have seen any Air Force files he wanted.
The CIA is joint charter with Congress so might have locked up some things under Congressional Order, however if they were holding something back from Carter it was not because they actually had the right to do so. Big difference.

1988 Supreme Court case Department of Navy vs. Egan

"The President, after all, is the ‘Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States’" according to Article II of the Constitution, the court’s majority wrote. "His authority to classify and control access to information bearing on national security ... flows primarily from this constitutional investment of power in the President, and exists quite apart from any explicit congressional grant."

ETA. I'm not sure if "Tsec" you meant Top Secret but that is usually abbreviated TS and the pretty much anyone who comes into contact with the President has Yankee White Clearance so you can be darn sure the President has above that.

edit on 31-8-2019 by Identified because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Looks like the image was from KH-11 USA 224 sat.

Excellent analysis and match up by Dr Marco Langbroek.

Dr Marco Langbroek Twitter Link

Wiki KH-11 USA 224 Link

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   

The CIA does what it wants without oversight from the president. I would go out on a limb and say the NRO and others do the same. They employ top military brass down to enlisted men sometimes. What they do is not part of POTUS's need to know at times.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I worked in vault that had things stamped TSEC while in the NAVY. Even had the TSEC stamp, another that said SEC, CONF, ect...
edit on 31-8-2019 by jrod because: T

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I'm sure there are many things the POTUS isn't told because it isn't necessary but no one holds a clearance above him, I don't care what their job title is or what government entity employs them. Need to know doesn't apply to the President. If the CIA or whomever wants to claim they hide things then they can explain that to The People because the Constitution and their Charter doesn't grant them that power.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Since when has the CIA ever been bound to the Constitution?

In theory you are right but not in reality.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   

This discussion isn't about what the CIA thinks it can get away. It was about if anyone holds a clearance above the POTUS and no one does; not even the CIA director.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I bet you never held a security clearance

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Not sure why you would think that based on anything I have said, not that my facts should influence your past clearance.

The first rule of holding a security clearance is that you don't talk about holding a security clearance.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I used to work on encryption devices back when I was an AT, my clearance is long expired.(and you can Google most of the stuff I worked on now) and never plan on working for the government again.

Never had the fight club rules of of security clearances told to me.

Hell my mom never know she had a top secret clearance from Fort Benning until the person who hired her at NASA told her that is what helped land her the job.
edit on 31-8-2019 by jrod because: Autocorrect

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Well, considering China probably knows it all from the multiple OPM hacks I give you permission to spread the news that you held a clearance. Lol

I think at one point everyone and their mother had a clearance if you worked on a military base but those days are long gone and it is best to keep a clearance quiet today if you do currently hold one with the hopes of keeping it.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

As soon as an official government agency says he illegally released classified information let me know.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Judging by some responses...

The release of this photo seems to have completely convinced some that its representative of our full capabilities.

How very interesting, and Im sure, an absolutely coincidental result. It seems to have been approved by the IC, who we can safely assume are as straightforward as they are honest.

Damn.. Im doing it wrong..

WE ALL GON DIE! Impeach nao to save our nation! Worldwide catastrophe! Global warming! Eighty million genders! Identify with Corporations as if they were your own person! AhhHHHhbllargh

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: CraftyArrow

originally posted by: Aazadan

What good comes from revealing to the world that we have this capability?

I'm sure the military can zoom in better than that Iran image, if not... then they're trailing behind commercial satellite imagery.

Look up Burning Man 2019 Spotted From Space (Satellite Photos)
be amazed....

www.space.com...

www.maxar.com...
twitter.com...

The best commercial satellite photos are capable of a resolution of 40cm. The resolution of this photograph is nearly 4 times as detailed.

Edit: Why that is important, is because whether or not that's our full capabilities, it gets into the realm of raising some questions of how we took the photograph, and those methods are something that absolutely should remain secret. Revealing those methods even exist, is a bad idea. But, that cat is out of the bag now.
edit on 31-8-2019 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Identified
a reply to: Aazadan

I don't see that it does any damage. As you have pointed it out it looks like a picture from a projection on a wall. Do you think they allow cameras and pictures being taken in a SCIF?

It is convenient that this is the story and not who actually destroyed the missile.

In this case, it seems they did. As a general rule though? Almost certainly not, and that brings up a whole bunch of other questions.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join