It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian Rocket Failure

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Not sure if correct forum but Trump just tweeted this picture and I wondered what platform took it. Resolution looks good if from space.

Tweet

Edit to add that it appears to be a classified photo. The classification in the top right corner has been blacked out.

Not that it really matters anymore, but that they blacked out the classification in the top left of that tweet tells you the IC didn't clear the release

twitter.com...
edit on 30/8/2019 by RexKramerPRT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: RexKramerPRT

Belongs in the space exploration forum.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Strategic tweet?
Space Force activated.

We See YOU.

Knowing that 1960s-1970s (SR-71 Blackbird) technology is said to be able to read a license plate from 80,000 ft, I wouldn't immediately dismiss to say it's impossible to take such photos from a spy satellite platform in 2019.

Or a stealthy drone fly-over.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

Belongs in the space exploration forum.

Could have been a super secret, high altitude, stealth plane

MODS: Please move if needs be.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: EndtheMadnessNow

Don't believe everything you hear about optical resolution. There is a finite limit to what resolution you can get with our current tech.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Seen the other thread and posted. Although not exactly space exploration

Feel free to close.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Don't believe everything you hear about optical resolution. There is a finite limit to what resolution you can get with our current tech.

I've seen a comment saying this is 5cm2/pixel but I've no idea where this ranks in capability.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Someone on another forum apparently checked the satellite trackers and found that one of the block IV KH-11s was overhead in the right timeframe for this shot to be taken.

edit on 30-8-2019 by Barnalby because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

I've since seen this if helps:

Correction: 13:30-14:40 *local* time (UTC+4.5). Interestingly, “USA 224” (a suspected KH-11 spy satellite) was overhead the launch site at 14:10 local time. Given the angle of the photo, it could have imaged it from the southwest after. H/t @M_R_Thomp. twitter.com/M_R_Thomp/stat…

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 05:01 PM
link   

The Optical Bar Film Camera carried by the SR-71 had a maximum resolution of 15-30 cm.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The Optical Bar Film Camera carried by the SR-71 had a maximum resolution of 15-30 cm.

So depending on platform these optics are on an order of magnitude better?

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I wouldn't say an order of magnitude, but they are noticeably better. As I said, barring a total change in existing technology, we're approaching the limit of what our optics can do. They are getting into interesting things with hyperspectral and multispectral cameras but until there's a revolution in optics, we're not going to see the "license plate from orbit" claims happen.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Didn't the A-12 carry a higher-res camera?

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 05:27 PM
link   

I was just referencing this picture Trump tweeted and if it is or is not revealing capabilities that were hitherto unknown.

Edit to add: To Joe Public/Casual Observer.
edit on 30/8/2019 by RexKramerPRT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 05:52 PM
link   

To the casual observer, possibly. We've had some amazing imagery released from high altitude ISR over Syria, so possibly not.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

The SR-71 had the slightly better sensor system I believe, because IIRC, when the A-12 was built they didn't give the airframe specs to the guys building the cameras. The A-12 could image a wider area though.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Good to know. I know you know alot more about this 'space' than I and in today's time it's often damn difficult to ascertain fact from fiction for the average passerby.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 07:50 PM
link   

It doesn't help that actual resolution imagery is classified. For good reason mind you, but it does make it hard for the average Joe.

This image was taken, probably from a U-2, during the Cuban Missile Crisis. There were other assets used as well, but the U-2 was the big one.

This image was taken a few years ago using a DB-110 pod, which is designed to go on F-16s and other aircraft. It's a multispectral system.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I see, very interesting comparisons.

If you get a chance what do you make of this guy claiming the image (in OP) was taken by a Lockheed Martin KH-12 Block IV spy satellite.?

twitter.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Interesting. For some reason I always thought it was the other way around and the A-12 was basically carrying a single large successor to the U-2's original camera with similar capabilities/resolution while the SR-71 was the one with multiple smaller cameras designed around mapping, etc. Like comparing a KH-8 Gambit to a KH-9 HEXAGON.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join