It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear Inoculum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Hullo all you metal heads out there...

Ok, so I don't know if we would classify Tool as metal these days. It's just... different... It's just... Tool

So the new album dropped today. For those that's had a chance to play through and dive deep into the luscious sounds of alternative medicat... meditation that is Tool, tell me... What do you think? Do they still live up to the hype? Is it what you expected? Better or worse than the previous albums?

Personally:

I say that it's still medication for the melodic soul in me. It's very different from all previous albums for sure but still has that Tool feel to it. I really was expecting something different. Truth be told, I was actually hoping for something similar to the last 2 albums. I feel that as Tool progressed into different 'forms' if you will, I progressed with them. The newer stuff was always better than the previous. ...and that first CD, Opiate... THAT was BAD @$$. Here I thought nothing could top it and every album later, they proved me wrong.

Though, this time, It just doesn't seem to have that raw power that Tool has loosed in all previous albums. This one is more tranquilizing than the others. I guess as age is inevitable, the energy perhaps goes with it. Still, I do enjoy it very much. It's definitely a different vibe.

7empest seems to be their one shot attempt at something that resembles previous chapters in their melodic compilations. It does have the feel of many of the previous songs over the years. Though, it's more similarity to previous rifts all in one song, perhaps a throwback to the old days.

Out of 5... I'll give them a solid 4. Perhaps it'll grow into a 5 in the next few weeks. Perhaps it didn't quite settle in but I find that Tool always has that initial ability to make me listen to the music sideways and within days, leaving me with an "Ahhhh! Perfection!". Definitely a stiff drink that soothes after one go.

Enjoy!

edit on 30-8-2019 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

I almost forgot it came out today. I'll grab it later.

This is also the 3rd thread on Tool's new album in the past week and I think that's alright.
edit on 30-8-2019 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 01:42 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Its pretty much the Danny Carey show. Instrumentally epic, vocally weak imo.

Can't really criticize Keenan though....he's too old to sound proper old school.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Awesome

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket
Its pretty much the Danny Carey show. Instrumentally epic, vocally weak imo.

Can't really criticize Keenan though....he's too old to sound proper old school.

Good point. He's gotta balance what can be sung live in preparation for their accompanying tour.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Maynard used to have a different vocal style with Tool than with APC and Puscifer. Now it seems he's using the same vocals for all three. It's not necessarily bad, but it is obvious on this album.
edit on 30-8-2019 by DVforlife because: A word

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 09:45 PM
link   
This album is the apex of their collective achievements thus far.

I'm still collecting myself.

top topics

join