It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The size of food getting smaller and smaller

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake
Decreases the size of that Mac and cheese box won't do a thing to decrease the obesity epidemic!
People are addicted to carbs and sugar.
The stores are devoting more and more space to processed foods. Some of which claim to be healthier.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Canny hurt mate, let's face it, decreasing the size of our food portions and sugar intake.

What's in our food it is indeed a point of contention.

Then again we are what we eat.

Says me the Muppet having this conversation whilst consuming Vodka and Redbull. LoL

Apparently Sugar is more addictive than Coc*aine or Tobacco.

No as expensive all the same if none the less deadly.

edit on 29-8-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Always check the nutritional information on the label. There's probably still enough calories and sodium or sugar or both to be shocking when you know how much someone like you is supposed to have in a day.

Absurd amounts of sodium and sugar especially. Pay attention to serving size and multiply by it because they arent honest about it. How is there 2 servings in a can of Chef Boyardee etc.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 11:21 PM
link   

For instance, a whole Digiorno pizza or comparable has about 2,000 calories and the serving size is 1/6th of it. Thats the rough median that human beings need in a 24hr period. It's hard to only eat half of one for dinner. One crunchy taco from Taco Bell is 400-500 calories.

I dont know about yall but I learned to cut a pizza into 8 slices at culinary school, it blew my mind. I was like wow, this is how the professionals at Papa Johns do it.

Anyways, if you're from a country where they cut pizzas into 6 slices, the label might be more relevant to you.

edit on 29-8-2019 by FlyingSquirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Candy bars..Fun Size vs Mini Bites vs New Size! or any way to trick you into thinking pound for pound you are not actually buying anything that will hurt you physically because is has a NEW SIZE (of course it does). Corn syrup sweetener additives are killing people. Coffee packager/manufacturers are blatant false claim oz wize carny barkers as well.
edit on 29-8-2019 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingSquirrel

when you know how much someone like you is supposed to have in a day.

Whoa friend back that train up.
This topic is about buying power, not obesity, which I am definitely not.
My favorite food is actually tofu! I know about serving size and portions and can bet my blood pressure and cholesterol is significantly better than at least 95% of Americans.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
Decreases the size of that Mac and cheese box won't do a thing to decrease the obesity epidemic!
The stores are devoting more and more space to processed foods. Some of which claim to be healthier.

This post isn't about obesity, but I imagine some people just always associate food with it.
It is about American buying power, which is dwindling, not just with food either.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: charolais

They are also making all our medical insurance premiums go up. I read a report today that overweight and obese people average over $5000 more per year in medical costs than those who are fit.

I was getting my yearly exam and a nurse actually told me it is hypochondriacs that are causing premiums to go up.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Might be to down to the fact that consuming to much of, or the wrong sort makes us obese, food that is.

American buying power has links to obesity.

If in dought just ask the fat bastards who reside in there ivory towers and make money from obesity.
edit on 29-8-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 12:09 AM
link   

If you have an ALDI supermarket in your area, go there. Good size portions that cost less than most other grocery stores.

Aldi website: www.aldi.us...

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 12:11 AM
link   
The size of coffee cans is shrinking. That is depressing. I am happy the candy bar sizes are going down, I never liked candy that much and the bigger bars were too big for me.

Yes, I have noticed the shrinking sizes have been quickly been accelerating.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 12:13 AM
link   

I haven’t noticed any of it but then the wife does the cooking.

I saw you guys speaking about gradual reduction‘s over the last five years. That sounds to me like reduction in stages. It would be the result of long term planning . Inflation, tariffs, or cost of ingredients maybe .

But for whatever reason i think it boils down to the never ending chase for the almighty dollar .

Business 101 . Less product at a higher cost= More profit

Not sure if we should be talking about this anyway.

Rosie O’Donnell already has DTS.

I’d hate to think what would happen if she found out food was shrinking .
edit on 30-8-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-8-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Quoted for Truth.

Take the time to not eat anything with processed sugar in it... you'd be amazed at how little is left to select from now.

Sad thing is that over the last 50-70 years in America we've all had our taste buds retrained to where we don't like bitter anymore... we have to have sweet as an underlier of all our foods.

So we are no longer eating a lot of foods that have antioxidants, vitamin precursors, etc.

We are killing ourselves with processed foods and wondering why we are sick.

To the OP... the last time I was in a supermarket they were selling a pound of bacon that weighed 12 ounces...

New math?

Or is bacon weighed in Troy ounces now?

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Can’t get link to work on mobile, but mouseprint.org tracks fine print and package size changes.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Inflation is putting up prices, so companies decrease portion sizes in order to make inflation less obvious.

A lot of this inflation has to do with increased demands for profit by shareholders, increases in the cost of living for good manufacturers, and increased regulatory burden, as well as all of the normal inflationary factors.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I think that using the metric system for weight and volume was part of the scheme to reduce the size of food products while charging the same or more for it.

Only your best drunks and druggies understand the metric conversion scam. Dopers understand grams to ounces and pounds to kilos and drunks understand ounces, pints, quarts, fifths and gallons to milliliters and liters.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Has anyone noticed that the size of food/packaging has shrunk considerably in the last two months.

I know this has been happening for a while, but this is worse than I've seen in 20+ years.
It seems across the board sizes are shrinking and product inside those packages are shrinking too.
Less food and higher cost.

I cook from scratch and have had a big family. I know sizes, portions and cost pretty darn well. This is getting bad.

My goal is to grow / raise as much as I can. I think things are going to get much worse much faster than people realize.

Ahh! yet another Mars bar complainer...do you not realise that when you were little, a Mars bar would seem huge, while nowadays it looks anaemic..that's just because you are bigger...and greedier..(secret advice) more than one or two will still make you sick anyway..Smurfy, CEO, nEsTle very limited....

I'm not talking about when I was a little kid, we won't even go there, many of these products didn't even exist!
I'm talking about just in the last few months. btw I don't eat Mars bars, yuck!

Right? Who eats Mars bars? Do they even make them anymore??

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Yes, in the UK they have always been Mars bars.

We even deep fry them. LoL

Its Snickers we run the Marathon with.

edit on 30-8-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuperStudChuck
Can’t get link to work on mobile, but mouseprint.org tracks fine print and package size changes.

Thank-you! I want to see how big Ice Cream containers were in 1990 vs Today. They look a heck of a lot smaller. (Weren't they 1/2 gallon?)

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Its Snickers we run the Marathon with.

Personally I wear shorts when running marathons.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join