It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The size of food getting smaller and smaller

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Has anyone noticed that the size of food/packaging has shrunk considerably in the last two months.

I know this has been happening for a while, but this is worse than I've seen in 20+ years.
It seems across the board sizes are shrinking and product inside those packages are shrinking too.
Less food and higher cost.

I cook from scratch and have had a big family. I know sizes, portions and cost pretty darn well. This is getting bad.

My goal is to grow / raise as much as I can. I think things are going to get much worse much faster than people realize.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Well, the trade tariff situation might have something to do with it.

I found it rather interesting that this sudden surge in plant based meat substitutes have arisen as plant based agriculture in the US took a huge hit because of China not importing as much anymore. As a result price of beef has risen a bit.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Maybe it will help the obesity epidemic?

There are people eating sand on a daily bases; I'm thinking the US will be fine if our food portions shrink.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Can you really blame processed food manufacturers? The cost of base ingredients like flour, butter, sugar, chocolate, corn everything, rises like crazy every year.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Can you really blame processed food manufacturers? The cost of base ingredients like flour, butter, sugar, chocolate, corn everything, rises like crazy every year.

Transportation costs are a good portion of it, everything seems to be transported 2 or 3 times before it gets to the final product, which gets shuffled around 3 to 4 times as well.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Exactly! It's crazy. Food manufacturers would be running on charity if they made products any cheaper. (Everytime I visit the US I'm ALWAYS shocked at the low prices of foods and the insane portions.)

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Has anyone noticed that the size of food/packaging has shrunk considerably in the last two months.

I know this has been happening for a while, but this is worse than I've seen in 20+ years.
It seems across the board sizes are shrinking and product inside those packages are shrinking too.

I cook from scratch and have had a big family. I know sizes, portions and cost pretty darn well. This is getting bad.

My goal is to grow / raise as much as I can. I think things are going to get much worse much faster than people realize.

Ahh! yet another Mars bar complainer...do you not realise that when you were little, a Mars bar would seem huge, while nowadays it looks anaemic..that's just because you are bigger...and greedier..(secret advice) more than one or two will still make you sick anyway..Smurfy, CEO, nEsTle very limited....

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I see no difference at all. Can you give some examples?

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   
We quit putting grain and corn in our fuel tanks and see how grain, corn and protein come down in price along with the processed foods made from them.

It was U.S. shipping grain to China. Tariffs should have made a glut here in U.S.

10.4 ounce boxes of cereal are a joke. Used to be small box was 24 oz. and larger was 36 oz.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

I looked at the brand I buy. 5 years ago it was 11.5oz now it's 11.5oz. No change.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Here is a great example. I don't eat Oreos, actually really hate them but the size difference is spot on and a perfect example.

theretrodad.blogspot.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04
I used to pack ice cream as a college job...awesome, I know...ate almost as much as I wanted after the run of a flavor. Anyway we packaged ice cream in gallon and half gallon. Well, they don't package in half gallons, it's the smaller 48oz now, same price

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

Ahh! yet another Mars bar complainer...do you not realise that when you were little, a Mars bar would seem huge, while nowadays it looks anaemic..that's just because you are bigger...and greedier..(secret advice) more than one or two will still make you sick anyway..Smurfy, CEO, nEsTle very limited....

I'm not talking about when I was a little kid, we won't even go there, many of these products didn't even exist!
I'm talking about just in the last few months. btw I don't eat Mars bars, yuck!

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Here is a great example. I don't eat Oreos, actually really hate them but the size difference is spot on and a perfect example.

I eat some of the kids Oreos the other day and thought they where smaller than i remembered.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phoenix
We quit putting grain and corn in our fuel tanks and see how grain, corn and protein come down in price along with the processed foods made from them.

It was U.S. shipping grain to China. Tariffs should have made a glut here in U.S.

10.4 ounce boxes of cereal are a joke. Used to be small box was 24 oz. and larger was 36 oz.

Good point,
It's the secret war/con, that's going on. China at the moment is importing all the little piggies they can get, from the UK and the US and elsewhere, China has a huge use of pork, while China has also a swine fever problem at present..same result as your estimation. We, in the UK will have to pay more..as will the US, and certain newspapers with a political bent in the comfort zone in the UK have put out shady stories, 2018/2019 about how bad pork/bacon is bad for you and the dire consequences..etc; mostly citing a preservative, Sodium Nitrate as the culprit..which is in fact, used in near everything, anyway.

I have no comment about Sodium Nitrate other than pointing out that NaNO3 is a natural dynamic of living, but is also something that can be, would be, a poison in overload intake, especially for infants while difficult for anyone to gauge.
However demonizing it, out of hand by trash press with political agenda, is pure, just that, pure trash.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   

That is something that has changed over 30 years, not 2 months.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Zrtst

How long ago was that?

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Shrinkflation... it's a well-known stealth tax and devaluing of your purchasing power. Combine that with the REAL rate of inflation (see Chapwood inflation index or John Williams "Shadowstats")

The government and PTB distort the numbers with everything from unemployment to CPI. 95% of the public seem too lazy or simply oblivious to understand how quickly TPTB are accelerating their programs to keep reducing our standard of living

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I've just noticed over the last 2 months, it could have been happening much longer.
I've noticed it with cereal, chips, even pasta which almost always was 16oz but now comes in 12oz.
My guilty pleasure is Doritos, the bag is so little now, it did not seem that size just a few months ago. Cereal too.

theconversation.com...

Similar numbers are coming out of the U.S. market. Many American food manufacturers have also admitted to shrinking packages to maintain prices at a competitive level. Many of these products enter the Canadian market. Based on what’s going on in the U.S. and Europe, we could estimate that anywhere between 15 to 20 per cent of all packaged food products have shrunk in the last five years, if not more.

edit on 29-8-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 08:52 PM
link   

a reply to: Phoenix

I looked at the brand I buy. 5 years ago it was 11.5oz now it's 11.5oz. No change.

Must be some kind granola which is fine however if you have children cereal is now a budget breaker.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join