It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KOI-4878.01: The Alien Exoplanet Candidate That Would Be Earth 2.0, If Confirmed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   

The most Earth-like exoplanet candidate discovered so far is called KOI-4878.01, which orbits the F-type star KOI-4878.

If confirmed, the exoplanet could be considered as Earth 2.0.

It has an Earth Similary Index of 98%, which means that it has the radius and insolation most similar to Earth.

KOI-4878.01 values are:

Radius: 1.04 Earth radii
Mass: 0.99 Earth mass
Stellar flux: 1.05
Orbital period: 449 days

If the exoplanet has an atmosphere similar to Earth, the average surface temperature would be 18 °C (64 °F), 3 degrees more than Earth.

The next transit will take place the 18th of June, 2020..

Source: https:// www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-Earth-like-planet-candidate-the-Kepler-telescope-found-in-its-lifetime/answer/Alberto-Caballero-6

Do you think there is extraterrestrial intelligence in this exoplanet?

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS – Please Review This Link.

edit on Thu Aug 29 2019 by Jbird because: added ex tags

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: alfa015

I would think SETI have tried this target out for signals by now.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider

I would think SETI have tried this target out for signals by now.

They've targeted pretty much every "nearyby" star in the sky by now. Haven't heard a peep. At this point, it seems like a better idea to look for atmospheric biosignatures than radio transmissions.

But this star it only about 1075 light years away, so if we sent a ship there right now, it would only take us... forever... to get there.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I'm looking forward to the results of further studies of this planet, exciting times ahead, hopefully. Another job for the James Webb Telescope. Its going to be very busy once it gets up there, pity it will miss the next transit.

Any idea when the next transit is after June 2020?

edit on 29-8-2019 by Moohide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider

But this star it only about 1075 light years away, so if we sent a ship there right now, it would only take us... forever... to get there.

Unless there is a back door to this pesky "speed of light" problem we haven't figured out yet.
edit on 8/29/2019 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   

sure hope so, maybe they can teach us a thing or two. We need it.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I'm a bit surprised it hasn't been confirmed by now and that we dont have any more information on KOI-4878.01 already.

Its been known about since at least January 2015 as there are 2 Reddit threads about it.

There is also a Virtual hypothetic flight above the Surface of Exoplanet KOI-4878.01 on youtube from 2016.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Over 1,000 light years distance, so we won't be finding out any time soon.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Unless there is a back door to this pesky "speed of light" problem we haven't figured out yet.

I was reading an article last night about how people just don't understand how difficult it would be to establish a colony on Mars, and one of the experts noted that other than on a superficial level, our spaceflight technology has essentially stagnated. In order for any significant travel away from Earth -- except by a few "daredevils" -- there will have to be some huge paradigm shift. Plenty of jealous people on the Internet like to paint Albert Einstein as wrong, but none have come up with a way of getting past his lightspeed limit. If it turns out he's right, we need to start reducing spending on space and bumping it up for creating significant colonies in Antarctica, but more importantly, under the ocean, where the problems are peanuts compared to those of creating a Mars colony.

Paradigm shifts don't happen every day, and frequently never.
edit on 29-8-2019 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Einstein himself came up with ways to bypass it, such as wormholes.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Einstein himself came up with ways to bypass it, such as wormholes.

Yeah, but even that couldn't be used for practical travel for a number of reasons, including the fact that we'd have to be able to basically harness the power of multiple suns to create one, and there's a good chance that if we tried to use it we'd get spaghettified into our component "information" and never leave. So even to create that wormhole loophole, we'd need to have a paradigm shift such that we could safely control insane amounts of energy. So... a thousand years from now? If then?
edit on 29-8-2019 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I am merely saying Einstein has already said he believes there are ways around the speed of light without breaking it. So it is likely we will find one of those ways eventually.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I am merely saying Einstein has already said he believes there are ways around the speed of light without breaking it. So it is likely we will find one of those ways eventually.

Well, if we ever do, I owe you a Coke.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 05:40 PM
link   

You do realize a coke might cost $1,000 by that time.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 05:44 PM
link   

You do realize a coke might cost $1,000 by that time.

I'm not too worried.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

Paradigm shifts don't happen every day, and frequently never.

Especially when you say "That's impossible!" It reminds me of physics and science in general at the end of the 18th century. It was fairly well accepted by the scientific community that we pretty well had this mechanistic universe figured out. Newton started it, and all that remained was to cross a few "t's" and dot a few "i's" and we'd be all done. Then Einstein came along and upset Newton's apple cart. Not to be outdone, THEN came quantum mechanics! But Einstein didn't believe it. He said "God does not play dice with the universe." And on quantum entanglement: "Spooky action at a distance."

What angers me, though, is people who take on a superior air and attempt to tell others that they are too stupid to udertand the limitations of space and time. Those people are stuck in their own paradigm, and quite obviously they will never make it out. I am not going to call them stupid in return. They're not stupid at all. They just need to stay out of the way and let the next paradign shift happen without them. It already has for some people. As William Gibson once opined, "The future is already here. It's just unevenly distributed."

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   

What angers me, though, is people who take on a superior air and attempt to tell others that they are too stupid to udertand the limitations of space and time. Those people are stuck in their own paradigm, and quite obviously they will never make it out. I am not going to call them stupid in return. They're not stupid at all. They just need to stay out of the way and let the next paradign shift happen without them. It already has for some people. As William Gibson once opined, "The future is already here. It's just unevenly distributed."

I guess I simply accept that there are some things that are literally impossible, which is to say that unless there is a fundamental change in the way we define reality, they'll never, ever happen. I can live with that. The shift from Newtonian to Einsteinian physics to quantum mechanics didn't mean that we threw out all we knew about gravity that Newton came up with. We still have to deal with all of that, too. Technology builds on itself. That's why we still have wheels on our cars and they don't float on a cushion of electromagnetism squeezed from crystals or amplified thoughts from enhanced kitten brains. That's the kind of shift I'm talking about. Because that's what it will take to do the things you have in mind -- a fundamental change in the way we understand the shape and structure of reality, not just building bigger rockets.

Maybe that will happen, and it would be astounding if it did. But historically the odds are against. it.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

I guess I simply accept that there are some things that are literally impossible, which is to say that unless there is a fundamental change in the way we define reality, they'll never, ever happen. ... a fundamental change in the way we understand the shape and structure of reality, not just building bigger rockets. Maybe that will happen, and it would be astounding if it did. But historically the odds are against. it.

Maybe it already has. It's just that you don't know about it. But as long as you're comfy, what the hey! That doesn't mean things won't change anyway. It's kind of like talking about the advent of electric self-driving vehicles to V8 ICE enthusiasts. They have all kinds of reasons why it won't and can't happen. It's pretty useless talking to that crowd because, you know, they are RIGHT! and will fight you tooth and nail over the very idea, marshalling all kind of statistics to "prove" it won't happen. But it is happening, and they still don't see it.

As Ben Rich says, "There is an error in the equations."

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Nice post/reply.

Personally, I don't think there is other life in the universe most believe it is full of life. I simply don't think there is, if so we hand have found it/something by now. Just my thoughts on the matter. Finding another earth like planet is nice and all but as you said, It's far out of our reach at the moment.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I was under the impression that a number of factors limit our space traveling capabilities. A few of them are fuel, the effects of weightlessness, effects of cosmic radiation, and sub-light speeds.

I propose that a gyroscope like spaceship could solve a few of those problems by generating gravity, limitless electricity and an electromagnetic field as a protective shield. Speed could be increased gradually, however far distances would still take a long time. At least with the other problems solved, super long voyages would be possible even if it took generations.

I don't understand why a craft or a base station with such a design hasn't been built yet. I'm probably oversimplifying the concept or there are obvious problems I don't understand, otherwise it seems like the best way for humans to survive long periods in outer space regardless of how fast they travel.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join