It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faith in God is not a correct term.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   
People say, I 'have faith in' this or that.

Bible: Faith = assurance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen.

So the evidence you have of God, Satan, elemental spirits or assurance of things hoped for is called faith.

Correct use of the term faith (since it refers to evidence and assurance) would be having faith 'of' something.

The use of the term faith in the wrong way causes confusion. I have faith 'in' this or that, they say, makes people think you are saying
I 'like to believe' this or that, without the need of there being evidence to do so.

That's not what faith means, at least not in the correct Biblical term.

I have evidence of elemental spirits; I have faith of elemental spirits.
I was assured of Trump winning another election; I have faith of Trump winning another election.

That way you let know you have for yourself gained knowledge of something, usually through dreams or by God.
It also implies that you don't have doubt of what you have faith of since it was shown to you and people have to take your word for it,
which they will or won't.

When you say I have faith in Trump winning another election people just think you're keeping your fingers crossed.

All I want to say is that when you use the word faith in the correct Biblical way you should say 'I have faith of' this or that, since it refers to evidence of something or assurance of something.

And this evidence or assurance was given personally.
edit on 29-8-2019 by Out6of9Balance because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance
I prefer the distinction implied in the prepositions used in John's gospel.

People are said to believe "that" (HOTI) or "in" (EN).
The first is about believing that a statement is true.
The second is about fully trusting a person.
Gospel faith is actually about believing "in". Believing "that" is of secondary importance, valuable only insofar as it helps people towards believing "in". At a pinch, you can hang on to the faith "in", because that's what matters, even when you're not absolutely sure about your belief "that".

edit on 29-8-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

But my point really is that faith = evidence or assurance and the correct use of the word evidence is have having evidence of. And the correct use of assured is being assured of.

So that's why I say that we should say I have faith of.

Or is it really all just the same?
edit on 29-8-2019 by Out6of9Balance because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   
You're looking at a single verse (Hebrews ch11 v1, in English translation). I think we get a fuller picture if we spread the net a little wider, as I did by quoting John.
The real key is in that word "assurance". In the RSV, the word "evidence" is translated as "conviction". Both words are trying to express a sense of confidence. Yes, in English usage "assurance" and "evidence" are commonly followed by "of", but faith is also about confidence and trust. "Confidence" and "trust" are both commonly followed by "in", which agrees with John's usage.So to me "faith in God" is perfectly valid.

P.S. "You believe in God. Believe also in me"- John ch14 v1

edit on 29-8-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I assume all I wanted to say really is that I also have faith of God.

And people have to take my word for it (which is a sad story really).

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Some of us have a Knowing that transcends Faith, while still knowing it's meaning. So as with 'faith' the 'knowing' is dependent on the one who claims it. Others can neither prove nor dis-prove it. No matter how you approach it, it's a personal power of knowing.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

True, faith is a personal thing shown in no better way than through works.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I think faith is in the realm of could be, where knowing is absolute. Knowing is less prevalent by numbers of those who claim it.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Still, strictly Biblical confidence and trust are a result of faith.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I have faith that God doesn't give one rat's azz which article you put between faith and God, nor does it impact the future of your soul going forward.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

But I do.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Out6of9Balance

Webster: Faith = complete trust or confidence in someone or something.

The bible was written by men, just like Webster's dictionary.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: scojak

Webster: Faith = complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
The bible was written by men, just like Webster's dictionary.

You WIN on this one Scojak. Faith="Dream On" (foolish ones).

edit on 29-8-2019 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Thread drift.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 08:13 AM
link   

I've never heard the language ever be anything but "faith in God".

The "of" nuance escapes me.

Faith in anything is built on assumptions. First you assume God exists because there isn't any evidence. Then you assume God with certain qualities exists like the Old Testament God. Then you have faith if your live our life a certain way God will reward you in the afterlife.

People nowadays just do not share the assumptions required to have faith. In the last 500 years science has been extremely successful in dispelling all kinds of myths or false beliefs about nature and the causes of nature's behaviors. So it doesn't take people much effort to interpolate this success to not having any belief in God whatsoever.

The purpose of religion is to answer the 4 great existential questions:

1. Who am I?
2. Why am I here?
3. What does it all mean?
4. What is going to happen to me when I die?

Religion is on the decline because people are finding adequate answers to these questions in other avenues.

The main problem with religion is it has become a cult of obedience to authority for the purpose of accumulating power. For myself, I do not believe in the church because it is run by people. And people are usually corrupt when it comes to power.

For me personally, I don't need some authority outside of myself telling me what to think. I am comfortable enough in my own skin where my fears, uncertainties, and doubts do not govern my life. So I choose not to buy the product modern religion is selling.

edit on 30-8-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Thread drift.

Because it is not a very good thread. Your whole idea about "of God" in the OP does not seem right to me. I've only ever seen people use the phrase "faith in" of language.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 07:57 PM
link   

While Paul did say,

Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
The power of faith is something that few really understand until they live it out. George Muller was one such person. Needed milk for his orphanage in China so that night he prayed for milk. the next morning a milk wagon on its way into the city broke down in front of his orphanage. Not wanting the milk to go to waste the man gave the milk to the orphanage. the chances of a milk wagon breaking down right in front of the orphanage to the answer of a prayer is said to have been 1 with 40,000 zeros after it.

Jesus did something that he turned and taught as a lesson in faith.

Mr 11:12-14; 19-24 And on the morrow, when they were come from Bethany, he was hungry: And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet. And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard it. . . . And the scribes and chief priests heard it, and sought how they might destroy him: for they feared him, because all the people was astonished at his doctrine. And when even was come, he went out of the city. And in the morning, as they passed by, they saw the fig tree dried up from the roots. And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away. And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God. For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith. Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.
Faith is a power,it is full belief that what is asked for will take place but not just in or on anything it is only by "Faith in God". Have faith in God is what Jesus said. He didn't say have faith in the system, the nation, the world, the Devil he said, "Have faith in God".

I lived by faith and did over 15 years of Ministry all by faith. We wold pray over the last food and before the next meal we had food. That is just a single example. I have 15 years of examples and it all came by having faith in God, Jesus Christ is the fullness of God bodily.

edit on 8/30/2019 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

join