It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The James Webb Space Telescope Has Now Been Fully Assembled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   
All the bits of the James Webb Space Telescope are in the same place and it has been assembled for the first time , even better news is the Telescope looks like it's on track for its March 2021 launch .... probably.

The space observatory is being built at the facility of aerospace technology company Northrop Grumman in California, and they've just successfully connected both halves of the JWST - the telescope and mirrors constituting one, and the sunshield and spacecraft the other.

"The assembly of the telescope and its scientific instruments, sunshield and the spacecraft into one observatory represents an incredible achievement by the entire Webb team," said Webb project manager Bill Ochs of the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center.

"This milestone symbolises the efforts of thousands of dedicated individuals for over more than 20 years across NASA, the European Space Agency, the Canadian Space Agency, Northrop Grumman, and the rest of our industrial and academic partners."

"This is an exciting time to now see all Webb's parts finally joined together into a single observatory for the very first time," said Webb program director Gregory Robinson of NASA HQ.

"The engineering team has accomplished a huge step forward and soon we will be able to see incredible new views of our amazing universe."
www.sciencealert.com...

It still feels like an age away but if / when JWST launches and deploys it will no doubt be worth the long long wait , I look forward to the discovery of all those Oxygen rich atmospheres of the Trappist-1 system and others.

edit on 29-8-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I have been hearing about the JWST so long that I was beginning to think it didnt actually exist. I cannot wait to see this thing in action when it is finally up there. Hopefully they dont have a repeat of what happened with the Hubble when it first launched.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

If its ready to go what are they waiting for? More testing i presume?

Not going to see anything with it sitting in a warehouse on Earth.

edit on 29-8-2019 by Moohide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Moohide

I prefer they test it rather than have it fail to deploy , how disappointing would that be.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   
We're getting closer to seeing those green boobies.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 04:50 AM
link   
During the Hubble launch I had a roommate who was a physics student. He told me one of his professors worked on the Hubble. The professor told him there are two Hubbles.

Years later I thought about it watching the movie Contact when Jodie Foster is informed there was another space travel machine after the first one was destroyed. Think the line was something about why build one when you can build two.

Wonder if there are two James Webbs. One for domestic research and the other for black ops.

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

They used to build two of everything: Mars probes Mariner 4 & 5 (5 failed), Mariner 6 & 7 (both successful), Mariner 8 & 9 (8 failed) and Viking 1 & 2. To the outer planets went Pioneer 10 & 11 and Voyager 1 & 2.

Of course that's expensive, especially when it comes to launching & operating something really big. We built two Skylab space stations. Since the first one worked (and the budget was pathetically tight), its twin was given to the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC, where you can visit it today.

The Hubble didn't have an exact duplicate. They built a full-scale mock-up that they used for all kinds of testing. It didn't have mirrors or the sensitive detectors.

Prior to undertaking construction of the Hubble Space Telescope (HST) the Lockheed Missile and Space Company built a full-scale mockup in 1975 for conducting various feasibility studies. Initially a low-fidelity metal cylinder for testing handling procedures for the proposed spacecraft, the test vehicle evolved continuously as Lockheed proceeded through its feasibility studies and was awarded the contract to build the actual spacecraft. The test vehicle eventually served as a frame on which the cables and wiring harnesses for the actual spacecraft were fabricated. It was also used for simulations in developing maintenance and repair activities in orbit. Dynamic studies on the test vehicle including vibration studies and thermal studies led to its being designated the Hubble Space Telescope Structural Dynamic Test Vehicle (SDTV).

The HST SDTV is also at the Air & Space Museum, next to Skylab.

Link

new topics

top topics

join