It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Marshals Are Arresting People in Texas Who Have Outstanding Student Loans

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I did get a goddamned job. Had one every semester, delivering pizzas at night and fixing computers on the side. I'd stop classes for years to work two jobs to try and save, but the cost of living was as much or more than I made. Took me 12 years to get my undergraduate degree on my own. Loans helped a bunch, it would have been impossible without it.

Still cost me $40k to get my bachelors in multidisciplinary science. After all the fees, penalties and interest I now owe over $100k, and growing. I work today and make $13.50 an hour. I have a broken back and after paying for treatments out of pocket, there is nothing left to pay these loans back with. I still have a broken back and live with chronic pain, and just push through the day trying not to despair and give up.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: Gothmog

Our president does not pay back his loans for the sum of billions, why should us peasants have to pay back ours? Especially for student loans, the cannot repo ones past education.

Source that.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: IanMoone2
Completely FAKE NEWS... www.georgiabankruptcyblog.com...[/quo te]

The story was embellished... Regardless, if a court order was issued to pay or not, it seems crazy govt goes through that length to collect. You'd think a bench warrant or something would be issued an he'd just be arrested if he gets a speeding ticket or something.

Thank President Obama for all that .
Stated that his administration was going to get tough on all outstanding student loans.
Turned all student loans over to 1 or 2 banks , who now have all the power

You ok with the situation now ?

edit on 8/31/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: povray

but the cost of living

Sometimes it is the one's "cost of living"

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

but I do think he should put an end to any and all attempts to collect student loan debt that go beyond what is legal pursuing any other kind of debt

Can't , Obama set the rules
An EO may be coming soon

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I have mixed feelings about this. So during the 2008/9 housing fiasco many people walked from their mortgage, Obama came out with the mortgage tax forgiveness in which forgave the tax on bank loans that were short sold or written off. However there isn’t anything like this in place for student loans as far as I know since they cannot be written off. Seemed like the people with million dollar mortgage charge offs/short sales/ and bankruptcy got the better end of the stick.

posted on Aug, 31 2019 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Harsh police state type tactics.

I am curious though about this loan being from 1987 to the amount of

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Why is anyone surprised we got un-American policies from an un-American president?

On the other hand, if you amassed six figure debt on a four year degree in Gender Studies, maybe you shouldn't be surprised you haven't found a job yet...

I am not saying there were no predatory loans issued. However, the terms of the loans were known as were the predicted job openings for your chosen field, including salary expectations. If those columns don't resolve - don't sign the loan.

Trade schools are much more realistic, many with earn-as-you-learn options. The incomes are very good and the demand for skilled tradesmen is very high. So what if your hands get dirty. You can afford soap.

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

I know plenty of people who went Auto Mechanic school and ended up with a lot of debt and a Low paying job with a lot of debt. My cousin is one of them. Fortunately our uncle got him a job at Ecolab where he is making much better money than he would as a mechanic. Still paying those loans for over 10years now though.

posted on Sep, 1 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   

a reply to: AaarghZombies

Here is an example of how student loans keep my generation in debt. I know someone who took out to and to go a private school that now does not exist.

They took out about 20k in loans, have been making timely payments and because of compound interest by a predatory loan they now 45k and growing.

It is a vicious cycle many are stuck in. This is not an isolated case.

You think that is bad? I went to school for english/journalusm. By the time I could take the journalism courses the school only offered photo journalusm.

I had a 17,000 school loan back in 96. Due to life, I wasn't able to pay it back. I took all the deferments and ect I could. Due to the interest my loan is now 77,000 and climbing. They wanted me to consoldate it, and I said no I'm not consoldating the interest.

Obama created the IBR program back in 2013 I believe. Right before default I applied for that. Under that with my family size and income, I'm paying 0 this year. The interest is still climbing. I can not get a mortgage since the mortgage calculate school loan in the debt to income ratio. They have to use the amount as if I had to make a regular payment, and not on the IBR program.

To the person who kept saying make a five dollar payment. Before the IBR, I told them 5 times the amount was too high. They basically said tough. I asked about making a 5 dollar payment. They said no they would not accept it. That was from different reps. I was under sallie mae, but got transfered to navient.

Trump in his campaging said mentioned capping how high student loan interest can go. I hope he does. The interest is almost 4 times the original loan. That is ridiculous. That is what has me trapped.

Here is the kicker, the loan will be forgiven after 25 years on the IBR. When it is the amount forgiven will be considered income. Then I will get to feal with the IRS. Great, will I go to jail for tax evasion if I can't pay? The way the interest is growing, my loan will probablly be 150,000 to 200,000 by the time it is forgiven. All from a 17,000 dollar loan.

The real kicker, if the loan was the origional amount or a little over, I would be able to make the payments. At 77,000 it equals rent. I don't have enough for double rent payments. I'm living pay check to paycheck as it is now. 40+ hours a week job making a little over 11 an hour. No internet, land line, or tv. I use moble data on my unlimited month to month phone plan. That is the only luxury I have.

I feel like I'm getting burnt at both ends.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
"but I do think he should put an end to any and all attempts to collect student loan debt that go beyond what is legal pursuing any other kind of debt"

Can't , Obama set the rules
An EO may be coming soon

Ummmm... how else would he do it except by EO?

Meaning... your 'can't, was immediately overruled by your subsequent 'an EO may be coming soon'...

So, you may have well just said 'Yeah, bring on that EO!'

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: funbobby

No, I am not one of them. I have no student debt at all. If you read the thread I clearly explained my former connection to the situation, and have personally spoken to thousands who are in it.

"Countless" was being used as a figure of speech. Not to be taken literally. The thousands I personally spoke with were a mere fraction of the total that the contractor I worked with had on file, and there were numerous other contractors out there with similar fractions of the total which is held by the Dept. of Education.

It sounds like you may have issues with reading comprehension. I'm sure a remedial reading course at a local community college could help you with that, or if you'd like to save some cash, then I'm sure there is probably remedial reading help available online for free.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: povray
I did get a goddamned job. Had one every semester, delivering pizzas at night and fixing computers on the side. I'd stop classes for years to work two jobs to try and save, but the cost of living was as much or more than I made. Took me 12 years to get my undergraduate degree on my own. Loans helped a bunch, it would have been impossible without it.

Still cost me $40k to get my bachelors in multidisciplinary science. After all the fees, penalties and interest I now owe over $100k, and growing. I work today and make $13.50 an hour. I have a broken back and after paying for treatments out of pocket, there is nothing left to pay these loans back with. I still have a broken back and live with chronic pain, and just push through the day trying not to despair and give up.

And does that mean you shouldn't be paying the money back that you chose to borrow?

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mystery_Lady
To the person who kept saying make a five dollar payment. Before the IBR, I told them 5 times the amount was too high. They basically said tough. I asked about making a 5 dollar payment. They said no they would not accept it. That was from different reps. I was under sallie mae, but got transfered to navient.

The $5 option was for federal student loans in federal default. Sallie Mae and Navient are private sector student loans.
edit on 9/3/19 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 07:11 AM
link   

You are out of touch with reality with the student loan crisis.

The best thing we can do is vote, kick the dinosaurs who have been paid to F*** us with student loans and replace them with people who get it and willing to help.

Trump is clearly not our side, given that he appointed Betsy Davis as secretary of education. Someone who profits off student loans.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 07:14 AM
link   

You are out of touch with reality with the student loan crisis.

The people who are out of touch are the parasitic scumbags who want free money.

The best thing we can do is vote, kick the dinosaurs who have been paid to F*** us with student loans and replace them with people who get it and willing to help.

So you want to vote in people to kick you out since you are the one that created your own personal student loan issue?

edit on 3-9-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: network dude has no beer because Heels took it

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Given people who pay their loans monthly, are getting f-ed by compounded interest by PREDATORY private loans it is not as simple as 'just pay back the money you borrowered'.

If you borrow 20k, pay back 30k and still owe 20k due to rigged compounding interest rates, you would be upset.

You are out of touch with what is happening here. Go troll another thread!

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Given people who pay their loans monthly, are getting f-ed by compounded interest by PREDATORY private loans it is not as simple as 'just pay back the money you borrowered'.

If you borrow 20k, pay back 30k and still owe 20k due to rigged compounding interest rates, you would be upset.

Who made you take out that loan? Was it Randolph or Mortimer Duke? Maybe J.P. Morgan himself? Do you even have a sliver of personal responsibility for your own actions and behavior?

You are out of touch with what is happening here. Go troll another thread!

No, I see what's happening here. Fiscally irresponsible people got sold on the 'everyone goes to college' paradigm and now realize they shouldn't have went to college and gotten their useless degree.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Mystery_Lady
Jimmini jumping crickets! What’s your solution, just wait it out?

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Do you have reading comprehension issues?

No one signed up for loans that are impossible to pay back because of hidden interest rates. This is the issue here.

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join