It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My mother-in-law

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 10:38 PM
link   
First off, I absolutely love my mother-in-law, whom shall be known as "M" for the duration of this rant. M is a very loving, strong and laid back individual.
However, she makes me want to rip her hair out sometimes. M is an arm chair activist, as she is a full time burn ward nurse and can't really take time off to go to any protest or Rally's. What M does is she shares those Facebook post that target injustices and evil. Most of these post are anti-Nazi, pro choice, women's rights and gun control issues. That's fine. I support standing up for the rights of others and yourself. However, most of them start off with "dear men" and "white males" and "all men". Everything she post to call attention to injustice make it seem like every white man is a far right, gun toting, neo-Nazi rapist who wants to control women's reproductive rights. I know there are a lot of bad, ignorant men out there, but to lump us all together in one pot is extremely offensive. Sometimes M makes me wonder if she thinks me or her own son are evil, because it's a constant stream of "white man bad, all else good". We get along very well, but I'm getting a little paranoid in my interactions with her. I feel like she's going to resent me for the actions of some other psychotic guys out there. It makes me so, so angry that being a good man and husband to her daughter has done nothing to speak for my character. She wasn't always like this, and I hope it's just a phase. All men are garbage, I suppose.
That's my rant, I guess. Thanks for reading.

edit on 28-8-2019 by DVforlife because: Spelling

edit on 28-8-2019 by DVforlife because: Still can't spell

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Sounds like the M is trying to impress people of a certain group. I see lots of that, especially some of the liberal left on facebook. I ignore their trying to suck up to a group they think they are part of, one mistake and they will be thrown under the bus. But they have to learn the hard way, it is hard to try to persuade them the fair weather friends they hang with are not real friends. Politics should not be allowed on Facebook, the political propaganda can get pretty stupid on there, people are saying things on both sides, but by far the left is the most aggressive, the right seems to be on the offense or keeps quite to avoid conflict more often around here.

Had to edit because it got too political

edit on 28-8-2019 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DVforlife

A reckoning comes in cycles for all of humanity. It just doesn't come for all at the same time.

Right now it has come for white american males.

I say deal with it till it passes. And remember to not yourself treat other people like that in the future.
Not saying that you have treated anyone unfairly but white american males have a messy history.

I am a white american male. I don't have ANY guilt for what my ancestors did. I am not them.
But I do understand where this mindset that M has is coming from.

All I can do is show them, through kind actions, that I am not the person they think i am.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Boy oh boy, could I ever tell some mother in law stories!

Anyway, take her off of follow. That's what I did. Just check up on her from time to time. It works wonders, Mine just loved Jane Fonda. You get the idea. Do it, it works

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

Boy oh boy, could I ever tell some mother in law stories!

Anyway, take her off of follow. That's what I did. Just check up on her from time to time. It works wonders, Mine just loved Jane Fonda. You get the idea. Do it, it works

I unfollow half the people I am on Facebook with, only following my close relatives. I also follow some people who rarely chat. I do rotate the unfollowed so I can respond to their posts once in a while and see what is going on in their lives, but some people throw so much on it floods my whole facebook with just their creations. I like to check facebook, not spend all day on it like the wife does.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 11:22 PM
link   

At least you like your mil that is half the battle. Just ignore the rest.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I undestand where she is coming from as well, but she surely must know that she is being willfully sexist. It seems to me that she, like many Americans, has had enough of all the mass murders and backsliding of freedom and she is just lashing out at an easy target. So much ignornace from one so socially conscious.
edit on 28-8-2019 by DVforlife because: Grammar

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Really interesting subject you have here. As I grow older, half of a Century that is, I see a lot of women getting bitter. Bitter about the nice body she had earlier, which our society value so much, cruelly showing its age. Seing their kids going on with their lives, not having that much family gathering like before. Many also got divorced, feeling having been used and discarded, fearing getting old alone. Them I see looking for fights, but most of the time they just cry their own fear, their own pain. I see a lot of women free to live their lives as they see fit, and this is a really a great thing, but we must have done something wrong in the process, because I never saw so much distress, so much bitterness. For me it's like they search a way to express this bitterness. Hope we find what's wrong; I'm on my 20th year responding to distress calls and its really not getting better. And if one thing is certain to me, the freaking men vs women fight will get us nowhere. My 2 cents.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 12:18 AM
link   
If she is for gun control legislation then she is NOT standing up for the rights of others. Quite the opposite.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Everybody is garbage. Get in line. The whites reign is slowly ending. Not soon enough we will all be mixed. If that is the worst she is doing, posting on facebook, wow. Grow a pair.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Read one of her post back to her, then ask, “Is this about me?”

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 05:34 AM
link   

I don't know your mother-in-law, but I know the type. I give you great props for recognizing her virtues and not letting her vitriol get in the way of that. But it's gotta be hard too. It's hard for me when I see and hear it, and while I always do my best to stand up for the good guys and point out that most guys aren't the bad guys, it too often falls on deaf ears. Not always, but too often. At some point, women can blind themselves so to speak. When they become so sure in their own mind that all men are "like that," then they cannot see those men who are not "like that."

I guess the flip side of the coin would be incels and MGTOWs? Those men who likewise think all women are "like that," and blind themselves... they cannot see any woman who is not "like that."

It's a problem and one I'm really not sure how to deal with. But it's one that we -- as a society and as individuals -- need to deal with.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Pro tip: Act crazier than your mother in law and she will leave you alone. Works for me.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Why do you listen? My father didn't and he was a happier man for his selective hearing.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Yep, I can relate. Love her in person, can't stand her on FB. I unfollowed the MIL and SIL and put them on my restricted list (which means all they can see is my profile pic and background pic)- they haven't even noticed.

I love them dearly and would give a kidney for either of them, but my most serious pet peeve is "good Christians" who are serious hypocrites so it was necessary to keep me from pulling all of my hair out.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   

If it has to do with women's reproductive rights I refer to Dave Chappelle's philosophy, which I will translate into a nicer version - "anybody with a dick should remain quiet".
edit on 18CDT11America/Chicago025111131 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Oldie ... but a goodie.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: LoveSolMoonDeath
Really interesting subject you have here. As I grow older, half of a Century that is, I see a lot of women getting bitter. Bitter about the nice body she had earlier, which our society value so much, cruelly showing its age. Seing their kids going on with their lives, not having that much family gathering like before. Many also got divorced, feeling having been used and discarded, fearing getting old alone. Them I see looking for fights, but most of the time they just cry their own fear, their own pain. I see a lot of women free to live their lives as they see fit, and this is a really a great thing, but we must have done something wrong in the process, because I never saw so much distress, so much bitterness. For me it's like they search a way to express this bitterness. Hope we find what's wrong; I'm on my 20th year responding to distress calls and its really not getting better. And if one thing is certain to me, the freaking men vs women fight will get us nowhere. My 2 cents.

Man I've got some stories of women that got sick and their husbands left them. Very very sad.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

I've got a nice pair, but thank you for your concern.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   

If you normally get along with her, I wouldn't take her remarks personally. As for facebook, do what poster vistedbythem does, unfollow her and just check up once in a while. I have had to do that with some people. I got tired of the ladies who feel they need to constantly take pictures of themselves with the poses and pursed lips. One old friend was constantly putting people down for their political views instead of discussing things like an adult. Good luck to you DV!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join