It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children of US Troops Born Overseas Will No Longer Get Automatic American Citizenship

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 08:51 PM
link   
My gut feeling is, the way Trump supports the troops, He will make sure their children are granted citizenship. I don't think he will let them down. The far left, will, however, attempt to block their citizenship at all cost, if they even can, as they always put foreigners first, and stiff the US residents with all bills
edit on 28-8-2019 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Fox News is going to explain this very shortly. Tune in now.

So basically the USCIS Director just said exactly what I said a couple pages back. This is to bring inline State Dept rules with USCIS rules. Nothing has changed with US immigration or Citizenship. If mommy or daddy are US Citizens and they register the foreign born child then everything is fine.

Looks like this mainly stems from US service members marrying non citizens with non US citizen step children and the State Department would grant visas and even citizenship because they were military dependents. This will no longer be automatic even if the Military still calls them dependents of the military member and they are living on US Military Bases.
edit on 28-8-2019 by Identified because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I don't know if anyone pointed it out, but it's liberal fake news. It's not true.

A policy clarification from the U.S. Customs and Immigration Service published Wednesday does not revoke automatic citizenship for children of U.S. citizens born abroad, including troops and federal workers, Homeland Security Department officials said Wednesday.

But it will make adoptions and paperwork more complicated for some families of U.S. service members and as well as citizens who haven't been in the U.S. for a while.

By law, most babies born to U.S. citizens overseas become U.S. citizens at birth. The new policy "[does] not affect anyone who is born a U.S. citizen, period,"

www.military.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Nothing has changed for their children. Only when they adopt has something changed. Liberal rags lied about what was happening to fuel more Trump hate like they always do. Military.com picked up the story from them. Now that the truth has come out Military.com has updated their article to clarify the lie that was reported.

The change was first reported by San Francisco Chronicle reporter Tal Kopan.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Because I love beating dead horses so much...

Here it is explained again

This policy does not affect children born outside the United States who were citizens at birth or who have already acquired citizenship, including children who:

-Were born to two U.S. citizen parents, at least one of whom has had a residence in the United States or one of its outlying possessions before the child’s birth;

So if the mom and dad are both American, and one of them has ever held a residence in the US before the birth, the kid is a citizen

-Were born to married parents, one of whom is a U.S. citizen and one a foreign national, if the U.S. citizen parent was physically present in the U.S. or one of its outlying possessions for at least five years, at least two of which were after they turned 14 years old;

As long as one parent is a US citizen who has lived at least five years in the US, at least two of which were after the age of 14, the kid is a citizen.

-Were born to unmarried parents, one of whom is a U.S. citizen and one a foreign national, if the U.S. citizen parent meets the requirements listed in;

Basically, as long as the US citizen parent declares in writing that they want the kid, the kid will be a citizen.

There are a couple others, but these three include the vast majority of US citizens and their babies.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: scojak

As long as one parent is a US citizen who has lived at least five years in the US, at least two of which were after the age of 14, the kid is a citizen.

I will beat this dead horse.
This is the part that is getting a lot of my friends/family.

We were military kids, like I said a huge chunk of us never spent a week let alone 2 years in the US after the age of 14. Why is that? Because the US military wanted to keep our families overseas. I can guarantee you that every teenager just wanted to come home.

Now if that teenager graduated, and then decided to enlist and somehow married a local and had a baby, how would they be repaid........ You get repaid by pretty much being told you are not American enough. That is literally what is being said.

Maybe it is not a huge number, maybe it doesn't matter to most people. It ticks me off. They are literally punishing the people that have given all semblance of a normal life to protect this country.

The other group this is targeting, and one that remains very hush hush, is non-citizens in the US military. Don't think this is a small number either. It is around 3% of the military. To me that is pretty big. Sure they can fight and die with is, but any chance of them becomming legal or having legal children is nada.. Mostly Mexican people and Filipino. If someone wants to die for our country, what better person to at least give their kids a crack at citizenship! OR how about this, if we REALLLY don't see them as one of us, how about we don't let them be in our military?

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
(D) politicians and (D) pundits running like crazy with this fake story.

They ALL are falling for it like it's really true 🤣 💫 🤣

There are fake stories, this isn't it.

There was a change made, that change was reflected on a US government website. If you call that fake, well then I don't know what you believe.

The fact is that this will affect Americans and some green card holders in ways that were not done before.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 12:46 PM
link   

This part of the INA has existed for decades. Why is this just now getting many of your friends?

I am a US Military Brat who lived overseas for much of my life.

This is not changing anything. Register your kid with the embassy; end of!

If you are a military dependent you are considered to be living in the US. Age does not matter here. If you are 16 and you have been stationed in Germany since you were 12 it doesn't matter. This only affects children who are born of people who are not US Citizens regardless of them being born on a US military Installation or being listed as a military dependent.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Identified

This part of the INA has existed for decades. Why is this just now getting many of your friends?

Because there’s been a change and rather than read the myriad posts explaining how it’s not what the OP thinks it is with quotes from the government website in question, it’s easier to just say “it’s different and therefore wrong” and die on a hill that doesn’t even exist.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   

All they (the child) have to do is take the oath overseas and they are fine.
The child is with the servicemember parent overseas (see bottom section - not resident in US)

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Identified

Exactly. I wasn't born overseas but I was raised in the Netherlands and Germany. Nothing has really changed at least from a standpoint of making it actually difficult

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Just remember Orange Man BAD!

My first born was in Japan at Yokota AB and the paper work was not simple, so I'm not really seeing a problem here or anything really out of the ordinary.

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   
So sorry dear.
This is FAKE NEWS.

NBC does it again, sigh, 2 major fake news stories in one week, of course the other was on MSNBC that they had to retract and apologize for.

Today USCIS issued guidance that DHS “no longer considers children of U.S. government employees and U.S. armed forces members residing outside the United States as ‘residing in the United States’ for purposes of acquiring citizenship” —t.co... — Tal Kopan (@TalKopan) August 28, 2019

Correction: Experts who have looked at new USCIS policy say it applies if a service member adopts a child overseas, but children born to service members on deployment would still automatically get citizenship. I deleted tweets with the incorrect info. t.co... — Ken Dilanian (@KenDilanianNBC) August 28, 2019

(2/3) The policy update doesn’t deny citizenship to the children of US gov employees or members of the military born abroad. This policy aligns USCIS’ process with the Department of State’s procedures for these children – that’s it. Period. Background in next tweet… — USCIS Acting Director Ken Cuccinelli (@USCISCuccinelli) August 28, 2019

(3/3) US laws allow children to acquire US citizenship other than through birth in the US. Children born outside of the US to a US citizen parent or parents may be US citizens at birth under INA 301 or 309, or before age 18 through their US citizen parent(s) under INA 320. — USCIS Acting Director Ken Cuccinelli (@USCISCuccinelli) August 28, 2019

www.snopes.com...

edit on 8/30/19 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Aug, 30 2019 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.military.com... 2Kg-YgPV6zLkXrs92SKUf0EXTz-37mMnOxMQNbNAUgNt0gRRgZSZO2l24

Previously, children born to U.S. citizen parents were considered to be "residing in the United States," and therefore would be automatically given citizenship under Immigration and Nationality Act 320. Now, children born to U.S. service members and government employees, such as those born in U.S. military hospitals or diplomatic facilities, will not be considered as residing in the U.S., changing the way that they potentially receive citizenship.

This isn't right. I really think this is a slap in the face to all military members. Hey let's send you to some God awful country. Hey while you're there if you happen to have a kid, or your spouse does, they aren't really a citizen yet.

Military families have to struggle with so much, now one more thing. To be fair, it wasn't just an automatic thing before this, it wasn't. Paperwork was still filled out, but if you were born on a military base, at an embassy etc, that was considered US soil, not anymore.

This seems like just one more hurdle. I imagine that a lot of women will want to come back to the US before the birth just to be on the safe side.

Is it a coincidence that most serving in the armed forces are white? :-)
edit on 30-8-2019 by Nightwalk because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join