It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Dorian taking aim at Florida

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

If/when it starts moving, it could strengthen. Right now, the water under Dorian is cool because Dorian has been sitting there cooling it off for so long. Cat 2 is good news (for the US), but not an all clear.

From an energy standpoint, a hurricane just removes energy (heat) from the water underneath it and transforms that energy into wind and rain. The faster it moves, the more heat energy is available under it.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

There will be a small window for Dorian to regain some strength when it traverses the hot Gulfstream waters.

While it is looking better for Florida, North and Central Florida need to monitor the track closely. Given the nature of this beast, it still may surprise us.

There is a ridge of high pressure that is building in that may push it further west that forecast before the next trough sweeps Dorian to the northeast.

Hopefully the weakening trend continues. The storm is finally crawling away from Grand Bahama, moving NW at 2 mph and expected to start picking up speed.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

I just want to say thank you for doing such a great job so far micro-analyzing Dorian. From here on out, you're my go-to man for all things hurricane.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Thank you.

The Melbourne, FL radar can see the eye.
www.wunderground.com...

It won't take much of a deviation to the west to make a huge impact on Florida.

It's heartbreaking to see how bad it was in the Bahamas.
edit on 3-9-2019 by jrod because: Add link

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The first aerial images from Abacos

twitter.com...

The 2pm advisory is due out any minute.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   
At 2pm still at 110mph, the pressure is up to 959mb. Moving NW at 5mph now.

Judging by the radar appearance the weakening trend has likely stopped.

edit on 3-9-2019 by jrod because: Aff

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
The first aerial images from Abacos

twitter.com...

The 2pm advisory is due out any minute.

That island is completely wiped clean, there's a video from the ground that's just as stark. Nothing but cars left...

And the satellite image of Grand Bahama is shocking, the island is underwater and probably permanently reshaped. I can't imagine it having the same shoreline as before:

edit on 9/3/2019 by Nyiah because: trying to fix resized picture

edit on 9/3/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

That comparison photo is just stunning to look at...
It really gives you a feel for the level of destruction faced by the island.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

It sure does. Like I said, I can't imagine Grand Bahama having the same coastline as before. I can't imagine it ever recovering the land lost to the storm surge, it's all swept away. What's left is under water, and what isn't is ravaged. The pessimist in me is trying to figure out how a tourist country can ever recover fully in the wake of this.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   

The Port of Freeport will be closed for sometime....not that it would be good for anyone to have cruise ships there in the foreseeable future

Key West is trying to organize relief efforts and will have an Armada on the way as soon as it's safe. We have a meeting at City Hall tomorrow to get the ball rolling.

www.miamiherald.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
First pics of the airport in Freeport, it's decimated.

Link to Twitter post

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

Someone posted a wider picture of the aftermath on Grand Bahama on the Weather Underground blog.

I underestimated the scale in the side by side, holy cow

Edit: Link to current blog
www.wunderground.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   

If the government on the ground there is better and less corrupt than the ones in Puerto Rico and Haiti, Grand Bahama has a shot to put the aid that arrives to good use and eventually recover. You know there will be help on the way, and that point, it's about having the right people in place to do the best work with it.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Looking at Google Earth for images prior then the areas submerged look to be, thankfully, mostly uninhabited but the wind damage looks substantial.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   
twitter.com...

Helicopter video from Great Abaco. 'Unprecedented destruction.'

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
twitter.com...

Helicopter video from Great Abaco. 'Unprecedented destruction.'

I think that's the same as the one I just saw on YT, I'll post an embed for people not wanting to go to Twitter.

The damage is utterly unreal and hard to put into appropriate words.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   
People keep talking about Freeport but the center of Abaco took a direct hit a full force.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

If/when it starts moving, it could strengthen. Right now, the water under Dorian is cool because Dorian has been sitting there cooling it off for so long. Cat 2 is good news (for the US), but not an all clear.

From an energy standpoint, a hurricane just removes energy (heat) from the water underneath it and transforms that energy into wind and rain. The faster it moves, the more heat energy is available under it.

TheRedneck

Thankyou for explaining what we're seeing now (Cat 2) and what could happen as the Dorian moves over water that hasn't been cooled.

I was listening to the CNN meteorologist explain this afternoon why "Strength Category" is not important. Two days ago, this same "expert" was giving example after example of the damage a Category 5 storm would bring to Florida.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:38 PM
link   

The forecast is for the storm to maintain maximum sustained winds of 95 kts (category 2) as it moves north until the 5th and then to gradually decrease.

www.nhc.noaa.gov...
edit on 9/3/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

At one time, the forecast was for Dorian to make landfall mid-Florida as a Cat 1.

Not putting much stock in official forecasts this time... but I hope they're right.

TheRedneck

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join