It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KFC Debuted Plant-Based ‘Chicken’ & Sold Out In 5 Hours

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   

In Brief The Facts: KFC debuted its very first plant-based item yesterday with great results. Reflect On: As we move toward a more health-conscious society, it is in these seemingly minor shifts in the mainstream that we will start to see huge shifts all around. But are these foods truly healthy? Should we be focusing on whole food plant-based diets? Yesterday, KFC debuted its plant-based chicken, Beyond Fried Chicken, at a single Atlanta, Georgia restaurant. This product was developed in partnership with Beyond Meat and could be ordered in two varieties: wings or nuggets. Why is this news? Well, if you’ve been following the mainstream growth of plant-based diets, you know that this is not the first partnership of its kind. Beyond Meat has hit the market in partnership with A&W, Tim Hortons, Burger King, Subway, and now perhaps due to its popularity – KFC as well. This event was really a test to see if they (KFC) should expand distribution as part of an official menu addition across the board, and based on the response am sure we will start to see this vegan option availability spread like wildfire.

On top of that, it requires 99% less water, 93% less land, and 90% fewer greenhouse gas emissions, and 46% less energy to make Beyond Meat products when compared to a beef product.

Source
With all the news about chicken sandwich madness recently, this article is timely. I heard about Beyond Meat a few years ago but did not give it much attention. It seems it is and will continue to be a hit. The product is made of pea proteins (fairly nutritious), canola oil,coconut oil and various spices and no GMO's, soy or gluten. I don't think it will ever replace meat but I feel it is a welcoming alternative for both consumers and the planet(animals,habitat and flatulence,ha)

The Stock Price is 159 and has had a good run since going public. Granted it took a dip but I think this would be a solid long term investment because the demand will bring up the supply via numerous mainstream establishments as a viable alternative. The newer generations,imo will continue to move their appetite away from animals in significant numbers.

Anyone tried any of these products?

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: waftist

i've tried the "burgers" and the Italian "sausage" style.

They really are that good. the ingredients list says its made out of peas... not soy so that's a big plus. Burger King does a Beyond Whopper too, i'd like to try that out.

now, cue the triggered "meat is manly or whatever" crowd...
edit on 28-8-2019 by smkymcnugget420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   

KFC Debuted Plant-Based ‘Chicken’ & Sold Out In 5 Hours
and then one hour later their toilets were all clogged.

Seems like a novelty item unless it tastes better than actual chicken. During WW2 the Nazis cooked up all sorts of fake foods but when I do a search for "Nazi meat substitute" all I come up with is articles about modern attempts to brew up fake meat.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   
From what I hear theyre actually pretty tasty!

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: funbobby

Oh, I get it.

Only Nazi's eat plant based foods. Who knew?

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   
And the chicken wars rage on.

Chick filet and Popeyes are scrambling as we speak.

Is deep fried peas any better for you than than deep fried chicken ?

Tune in to find out next decade on “food trends gone Wrong” only on United North American States National Television .

edit on 28-8-2019 by SteamyJeans because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   
If there isn't any soy in it, I might try it out. With my thyroid issues, I try to avoid soy.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

I am sure I never said that, so clearly Reading Comprehension is not your strong suit but to be fair Hitler was a vegetarian.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Yuck. Talk about super processed food. No thanks.

I'll go with natural, not processed food. If I want plants I'll eat plants, if I want meat I'll eat meat. All natural, please.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: smkymcnugget420

now, cue the triggered "meat is manly or whatever" crowd...

Then allow me to step up to the plate.

We are talking about highly processed foods that I don't care what anyone says can't be better than whole foods.

Normally I would say to each his own, but that isn't really what's happening with this new phenomena. Already I'm hearing calls for legislation that would encourage, in fact make it a requirement, that these fake foods replace actual natural proteins.

But I suppose the cycle is becoming complete. Now I can have fake food, accompanied by fake social media friends and fake news. VR can provide me with fake experiences.

What more can a person ask for?

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: funbobby

Sorry, I was kinda trying to make a joke.

But I'm sure the ersatz food craze will play well in the Urban areas. If you look at the picture you'll see who this crap appeals to.

Out here in the country we raise our own REAL chickens; call "yard birds". Lots of free eggs and tasty dinners.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I can’t wait for the day we don’t have to slaughter animals.

I never like thinking where meat comes from.

But, it needs to be pretty damn good to match bacon...

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Duderino

Yuck. Talk about super processed food. No thanks.

I'll go with natural, not processed food. If I want plants I'll eat plants, if I want meat I'll eat meat. All natural, please.

Kind of amazing isn't it. Craze launched against processed food that launches...........processed food.

Go figure.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: loam
Buy a robot and have a fake girlfriend!

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
Now I can have fake food, accompanied by fake social media friends and fake news. VR can provide me with fake experiences.

Thumbs up on social media to increase your score there.

You're a winner!!!!

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

But I suppose the cycle is becoming complete. Now I can have fake food, accompanied by fake social media friends and fake news. VR can provide me with fake experiences.

I just wish someone would explain how the three seashells work!

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Okay I see and understand the critique and I personally don't eat at these fast food joints, but I think the scene (status quo quick-n-cheap, widely available processed food joints) with this plant based option is better than the scene without it, by comparison. Processed pea protein, canola oil and spices is better than processed meats and soy. Should everybody eat healthier, whole foods and less processed junk? Of course, but that isn't reality so imo this is a positive supplementation. If this serves to reduce chicken factory farms and deaths, well that's a plus for me too, and yes I'm a hypocrite because I do enjoy good chicken(free range), but that doesn't mean I can't hope for a gradual reduction of factory farming.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

I have been thinking about pheasant season since I woke up this morning and pheasant season isn't until October. I couldn't imagine lining up at KFC to try fake fried chicken. They shouldn't even be allowed to call it chicken or anything like chicken lest anyone be confused. A little while back a local restaurant had a "beyond burger" and it was confusing everyone because people didn't realize that was a trademarked name of a fake meat product. Why not "Fried pea nuggets"? Heck, I might try a fried pea nugget, might be like falafel.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Mmmm, Franken-food ... but at least it's vegan. Now they can get their arteries clogged too.
edit on 28-8-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Mmmm, Franken-food ... but at least it's vegan.

I'd be more apt to eat it if it were made from real vegans.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join