It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boris Johnson asks Queen to suspend Parliament

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2
a reply to: ScepticScot

I suspect Scotland would have a considerably easier entry into the EU

Perhaps. But that doesn't guarantee good treatment once in the EU. Scotland would do well to proceed at a measured pace. Jumping into a new situation because "we're mad at the English" is not a basis for sound decisions.

Cheers

While there is undoubtedly some supporters of Scottish independence who are anti.English it's a small number.

Strangely,despite being pro scottish independence and a remain supporter, in the event of a no deal brexit I think the pro independence argument is considerably weakened.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Parliment has been "heard" for 3 years now..
BoJo,s action only affects one week as parliment is scheduled to be out anyway. So....what exactly is parliment gonna do.in one week that they havent done in 3 miserablel years?????.??....

a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
BoJo,s action only affects one week as parliment is scheduled to be out anyway. So....what exactly is parliment gonna do.in one week that they havent done in 3 miserablel years?????.??....

....prevent no-deal.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Exactly...but the chicken littles gotta cry. Maybe farmers ought to change their business practice when it is cheaper to import lsmbs from 15000 miles away.

a reply to: DISRAELI

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

While there is undoubtedly some supporters of Scottish independence who are anti.English it's a small number.

Thanks for that, my education about the U.K. is proceeding apace!

I was assuming that from the tone of comments being made, my mistake.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

....prevent no-deal.

That was my take on one of the risks the PM is running by doing this. Parliament might be provoked to take action of some kind.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Whats wrong with a no deal????? Besides the fear mongering. For every business that is crying....3 have been preparing.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   

....prevent no-deal.

The people complaining about no deal are not interested in deal/no-deal. That whole debate is a manufactured one to drive to the goal of Remain. Frame the debate as a deal / no deal discussion... prevent any deal by making it completely unpalatable (working directly with the EU) so no deal is the only option... strike fear of a no deal... drive home message that remain is better than no deal. Voila.
It's a dishonest political game being played by those that lost a democratic vote.
Message to traitors - We see you.

edit on 28/8/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Whats wrong with a no deal????? Besides the fear mongering. For every business that is crying....3 have been preparing.

Nothing at all. It's terrible for the EU, not so bad for us.. and in the long run MUCH better for us.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Yet in doing so he has tarnished our democratic parliament.

Parliament has tarnished our democratic parliament by spending the last 3 years trying to overturn the decision made by the British people in a democratic referendum.

The attempt by Corbyn , Swinson and others to seize control of Parliament and stop Brexit is shameful , Johnson is using legal process to help deliver the democratic will of the British people.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 12:45 PM
link   

You say 3 have been preparing but

But the CBI who represent almost 200,000 UK businesses have said business isn't ready.

According to HMRC

According to the latest records from HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC), 70,000 out of a possible 240,000 companies have registered for crucial documentation required to continue trading with the EU.

HMRC stresses that the firms which have registered account for 75% of UK-EU trade by volume, but Sky News is aware of large companies, including a major high street food company, that only began preparing recently.

And the Office of Budget Responsiblity

A no-deal Brexit would plunge Britain into a recession that would shrink the economy by 2%, push unemployment above 5% and send house prices tumbling by around 10%, according to the government’s independent forecasting body.

In an assessment of the impact of Britain leaving the EU without a deal at the end of October, the Office for Budget Responsibility said the result would be a year-long downturn that would increase borrowing by £30bn a year.

This isn't freamongering, this is just the reality, even BoJo's announcement today sent the pound falling, I think when we dismiss the real economic risks as fear mongering we are entering a dangerously complacent mindset that it will all be okay.

You might say for every one business crying about it 3 are preparing but as I have demonstrated above this is utter rubbish. IF you have sources that prove business is more prepared than this then I would love to have a look because I could use a little optimism

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: sapien82

originally posted by: oldcarpy
a reply to: sapien82

He was talking about spending money on infrastructure and the NHS etc. Sounds good to me, but then I am gullible.

He has shut down our democratic processes

How's that then?
I'd love to get you reasoning for that statement.
Brave enough to talk us through it?

Brave ? its not a challenge ,

Prorogue , to discontinue or suspend a session of parliament without dissolving it

Suspension of parliament is pretty obvious that it means we wont have an operating democracy until it resumes after the queen speech .

Which means the rest of parliament wont be able to carry out their duties as normal under the proroguing
so Boris has called for the "monarch" to shut down government so he can do as he sees fit.

what is it with the conservatives and running down the shot clock ?

Parliament is regularly suspended when a new govt. is formed.
So, no, democratic process has not been shut down. It continues as normal.

Are our 'democratic processes' currently shut down??? Parliament are on recess. This is actually the 5th recess this year - do you think that our country's democratic process have been shut down on those occassions too?

If you think that our country's democratic processes begin and end with sessions of Parliament, you clearly don't know what you are talking about.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Parliament has tarnished our democratic parliament by spending the last 3 years trying to overturn the decision made by the British people in a democratic referendum.

The attempt by Corbyn , Swinson and others to seize control of Parliament and stop Brexit is shameful , Johnson is using legal process to help deliver the democratic will of the British people.

Thats fine, that's your opinion have at it.

Am not going to say you're wrong only that I hold a slightly opinion.

I don't think anyone has actually been trying to overturn the vote I think he problem has really been more a debate about how to deliver on the vote fundamentally. All main parties said they would abide by the outcome of the vote and they don't really seem to have budged on that position all that much. I know that Labour have said that if they win the next General Election they would call a second referendum however.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2

....prevent no-deal.

That was my take on one of the risks the PM is running by doing this. Parliament might be provoked to take action of some kind.

Cheers

I think that in the next few days the opposition and the Tory rebels are going to be in deep conversation and even more motivated to take some kind of action. So it would not surprise me if we see some kind of surprise when parliament reconvenes, what that will be I have no idea but I think there are a few more surprises to come before the 31st of October.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I don't think anyone has actually been trying to overturn the vote...

You must actually think people are going to believe you when you say that.
Points for the hard neck to make such a statement, but no. You are fooling no-one.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Latest London protest (I've bookmarked a search on Youtube).

(yes, this is today's. I'm sorting by upload date)
edit on 28-8-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Neither May's deal nor joining a Customs Union is leaving the EU , the other parties want to keep us tied in to the EU by trying to sell it as leaving with a deal , we will still be bound by their rules and our trade will still go through them.

The EU need to know we're serious about leaving without a deal before they come to the table with an equitable way for us to leave , it's a staring contest between us and them but Corbyn and the rest don't seem to get it and are undermining our position.

The impasse of the last 3 years is probably doing more damage than Brexit itself.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Short video that enplanes prorogation.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   

... but Corbyn and the rest don't seem to get it and are undermining our position.

Exactly correct. Elected British representatives of the people are working directly for and with the very people we are negotiating with, undermining our position and making it harder for us to leave on terms that would be best for Britain.
It's really as simple as that.
edit on 28/8/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
So an unelected minority government leader just dissolved politics via a divinely appointed monarch to wreck the economy for a laugh. Still laughing at Venezuela, anyone?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join