It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boris Johnson asks Queen to suspend Parliament

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I have to laugh at how the anti-Brexit fear-factory is spinning Boris as a 'tin-pot dictator' and that to prorogue parliament is 'shut down democracy' and 'shutting down debate' lol.

When parliament itself voted for a Brexit referendum and then voted to invoke Article 50, he is proceeding with what Parliament itself has already voted for, surely? How is that 'shutting down democracy'?

The anti-brexiters say they are also angry that proroguing parliament will 'shut down debate' but what they actually mean is it will render them unable to continue to obstruct and delay Brexit indefinitely by any parliamentary means necessary, like they've been doing so far.

Parliament voted for the brexit referendum and it voted to invoke the brexit A50, the next democratic step is to implement what they, and the people, all voted for. The outrage here should be that BJ may be forced to prorogue parliament in order to proceed with what it and the people voted for. He shouldn't have to do that.

It's amazing to me how easily the media is able to talk many folks into thinking that delivering democracy is despotic and vice-versa lol. Surreal.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: uncommitted

Except this isn't a left or right issue , it's an issue of control over our own destiny which is something we don't have being tied to the United States of Europe.

Funny you just had a dig at me for Scottish independence and trying to determine our own destiny !

its totally OK for the UK to want freedom from the EU
but not ok for Scotland to want freedom from the UK ?
edit on 29-8-2019 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: doobydoll
I have to laugh at how the anti-Brexit fear-factory is spinning Boris as a 'tin-pot dictator' and that to prorogue parliament is 'shut down democracy' and 'shutting down debate' lol.

When parliament itself voted for a Brexit referendum and then voted to invoke Article 50, he is proceeding with what Parliament itself has already voted for, surely? How is that 'shutting down democracy'?

The anti-brexiters say they are also angry that proroguing parliament will 'shut down debate' but what they actually mean is it will render them unable to continue to obstruct and delay Brexit indefinitely by any parliamentary means necessary, like they've been doing so far.

Parliament voted for the brexit referendum and it voted to invoke the brexit A50, the next democratic step is to implement what they, and the people, all voted for. The outrage here should be that BJ may be forced to prorogue parliament in order to proceed with what it and the people voted for. He shouldn't have to do that.

It's amazing to me how easily the media is able to talk many folks into thinking that delivering democracy is despotic and vice-versa lol. Surreal.

Parliament also voted against leaving the EU without a deal.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Aye and just like how we were told , vote for the Union and we stay in the EU indy ref 2014

many in the EU ref were sold the idea we'd be leaving with a solid deal and something for our troubles.

SO we have all been collectively lied to by a successive #e show of a government , that isn't fit for purpose

and for some bizarre reason the tories are still in power despite successive failures to do anything
other than drive the UK into a constitutional crisis and a financial crisis , and divide the nations ever further

Divided we fall , into their hands and they put us in their pockets.

but sometimes we do need a bit of chaos

unchained unicorns for a while I think !

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

You had a vote 5 years ago , it was claimed by Alex Salmond to be a once in a generation chance to vote for Independence but the Indy Ref showed the majority of Scots wanted to remain in the union , now it seems like the EU remainers in England Scottish Nationalists can't accept the will of the people and require a confirmatory vote to validate the original vote.

You have your own government sitting in its own Parliament making laws for Scotland , you even have representatives sitting in Westminster yet you still wish to follow a pipe dream spun by the SNP which is more to do with the legacy of the leadership of the SNP than the reality of an independent Scotland outside of both the UK and EU.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

You had a vote 5 years ago , it was claimed by Alex Salmond to be a once in a generation chance to vote for Independence but the Indy Ref showed the majority of Scots wanted to remain in the union , now it seems like the EU remainers in England Scottish Nationalists can't accept the will of the people and require a confirmatory vote to validate the original vote.

You have your own government sitting in its own Parliament making laws for Scotland , you even have representatives sitting in Westminster yet you still wish to follow a pipe dream spun by the SNP which is more to do with the legacy of the leadership of the SNP than the reality of an independent Scotland outside of both the UK and EU.

Aye very good , but you didnt answer my question

Once in a lifetime wasnt legally defined in the mandate so its rubbish to even suggest it.

Ireland as shown by Elethia had referendum after referendum.

If we are a sovereign nation we can hold as many public opinion referendums as we like
legally binding votes like general elections happen every 5 years , so why then cant we hold independence votes with the same frequency if there is public approval for it?

Also , many voted to stay in the UK union because we were told we wouldnt leave the EU and the NHS would get more funding and Scotland would too.

I've already asked why you care anyway , if Scotland is a subsidy Junkie of the rest of the Uk , then why not let us go
remove the thorn and improve the Uk economy even more when we are not in the coffers of the UK all the time.

Or , are you realising that Scotland actually subsidises the rest of the UK for real and its all a big lie you have been told
and the reality is Post Brexit , and Scotland leaves the UK , then the Uk will struggle as they have never done before?
and that makes you angry because you will need to struggle ?

or am I off the mark with that yin ?

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Apparently the MPs are threatening to barricade themselves in if Boris Johnson prorogues parliament.

If there a bar in their theres apt to be a lock-in.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Apparently the MPs are threatening to barricade themselves in if Boris Johnson prorogues parliament.

If there a bar in their theres apt to be a lock-in.

rent boys and good coke I think as well

they have strip club in there in the basement and a fully functioning DJ set up
although none of them know how to mix , they just use the sync button.

they also have an underground roller coaster , you know to take the edge of politics

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 07:25 AM
link   

It's some ride the now nevermind the roller coaster. LoL

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

originally posted by: doobydoll

Parliament also voted against leaving the EU without a deal.

Yes, they want to appear to be 'for' Brexit and 'for' democracy which is why they voted for a referendum and for A50, they had to appear to be carrying out the majority democratic decision of 17.4m voters that were expecting it of them. But they demanded that 'no deal' was off the table, moving the brexit goalposts and justifying it by saying that a no-deal Brexit wasn't on the ballot and therefore no-one voted for it. And the globalist media peddled it and spun it seven ways from sundown on their behalf. Anti-Brexit public latched on to it like a hungry dog that won't let go of a bone. Such deceitful tactics to get what they want.

They knew they could obstruct and delay Brexit indefinitely by refusing to agree any deal henceforth proposed, and so far they have done precisely that. Telling the public they really do want to deliver Brexit, but their deeds don't match their words.

JMO.

Another side of the 'no-deal Brexit wasn't on the ballot' argument, is that a 'deal-only Brexit' wasn't on there either.

edit on 29-8-2019 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: doobydoll

Parliament voting to take No Deal off the table just played into the hands of the EU. It took away our only real negotiating point.

There is a complete disconnect between Parliament and what the people voted for. That is what is undemocratic here, not Boris having the balls to try to scupper the undemocratic plans of the EU toadying Remainers who still can't get over the fact that they lost the vote.

It is the Remainers that have tried to use Parliament to block Brexit at every turn. It pleases me no end that they have now been given a taste of their own medicine and to listen to them squealing about it.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Perhaps we could lock them in from the outside and never let them out?

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Conservatives constructed brexit on a lie, then aren't going to deliver on their lie
with more lies !

cant anyone else agree the conservative party are undemocratic and not fit for purpose have direct links between their policy and the untimely deaths of UK citizens , and so hence forth should be abolished from UK politics for failing to carry out their duties.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

If thats the case we would need to get them all in there on the 5 November i imagine.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 07:57 AM
link   

I don't think that the Conservatives exactly have a monopoly on lying.

At least their leader is not a traitor who supported the IRA's "armed struggle".*

*Murdering and maiming innocent men, women and children.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Top plan.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
a reply to: doobydoll

Parliament voting to take No Deal off the table just played into the hands of the EU. It took away our only real negotiating point.

There is a complete disconnect between Parliament and what the people voted for. That is what is undemocratic here, not Boris having the balls to try to scupper the undemocratic plans of the EU toadying Remainers who still can't get over the fact that they lost the vote.

It is the Remainers that have tried to use Parliament to block Brexit at every turn. It pleases me no end that they have now been given a taste of their own medicine and to listen to them squealing about it.

If our only real negotiating point is to inflict far more harm on ourselves than the other side then maybe we shouldn't be in that position in the first place.

Pretty sad that you see this as about getting one over people rather than what is the right thing to do.

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

And Westminster also said that Scottish oil revenue would dry up for an independent Scotland

You've produced some interesting and worthwhile statements over the years mate, but this isn't one of them. Additionally, I'd say the legacy of the SNP, including the idea of an independent Scotland, is more alive now than ever before.

The brand of democracy in this country is not democracy at all, and happily, that clown Johnson will be the final nail in the coffin of a United Kingdom, my biggest complaint is that it's taken so long

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: oldcarpy

If thats the case we would need to get them all in there on the 5 November i imagine.

We need the royals in there too then , since King James was in there originally!

posted on Aug, 29 2019 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Don't forget the bankers, got to be able to squeeze them in somewhere.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join