It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popeyes is winning the chicken war but losing the battle

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

We have all the good food here...literally. I have yet to live somewhere with better food. We even have some of the best ramen in the country here...not well known though. But yes...peg leg's is some of the best BBQ that exists.

I used do live in Orlando...the only thing I could rave on was the Thai and Puerto Rican food.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Is it that hard to discuss fried chicken without racism?

That was on a sub on reddit called blackpeopletwitter (edit, posted by you guessed it)

Nothing racist about sharing something funny and knowing an old black lady will likely make better fried chicken than a young chick named Sarah.

If you didn't catch the vibes from my other post, Chuck's Seafood was ran by an old black guy, and it was to die for.

There's nothing racist about recognizing someone's heritage, and knowing what they make the best culinarily. I'm from the south, there is nothing racist about knowing who makes some of the best soul food. Just like Germans make killer sausage.

Discrimination is not being able to say it out loud 😉

Cheers mate.
edit on 27-8-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Right because fried chicken is tied to race...you gotta be kidding yea? I too have lived in the South and can tell you race has nothing to do with good fried chicken...and Sarah could cook up some fantastic fried chicken as well...really it has to do with how much the people you hore give a f#%$ about their jobs...not the color of their skin or what part of the world their ancestors came from.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 06:20 PM
link   
We had a Popeye's nearby for a short while. The service was bad, the food was mediocre at best and fortunately they're gone. We don't have a CFA, just KFC and that seasoning beats them all except for my great-grandmother's. She made awesome food, all from scratch.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

It's OK Ricky. I promise you can talk about wher people come from and acknowledge differences, and what people are good at, and they won't judge you for it. You can do this with them, and they might even appreciate. So when I said the best soul and southern food are usually from grandma's who happen to be black.... It's OK.

Edit, by the way, real southern food gets its roots from Scottish method of frying mixed with French cooking and African cuisine . African Americans perfected it back in the day.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   

You act as if I dont feel like I can talk about whatever it is I feel like talking. I'll be the first to tell you stereotypes aren't always accurate...but they are most of the time...you know the old where there's smoke there's fire. I just know too many people of too many races that make a good fried chicken to buy into your black folk make the best fried chicken comment. Its ignorant at its core and shows you really don't know what you're talking about and are only basing your comments off stereotypes.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
We had a Popeye's nearby for a short while. The service was bad, the food was mediocre at best and fortunately they're gone. We don't have a CFA, just KFC and that seasoning beats them all except for my great-grandmother's. She made awesome food, all from scratch.

My mom and dad were telling me about my grandmothers food. Just the way they were talking about it would make you hungry.

My grandma cooked during the depression. Everything they did was scratch. She made her own ground beef by chopping it up with a knife. She made all her own sauces and spices. Waste was not in her vocabulary. Even water was precious as gold.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

You act as if I dont feel like I can talk about whatever it is I feel like talking. I'll be the first to tell you stereotypes aren't always accurate...but they are most of the time...you know the old where there's smoke there's fire. I just know too many people of too many races that make a good fried chicken to buy into your black folk make the best fried chicken comment. Its ignorant at its core and shows you really don't know what you're talking about and are only basing your comments off stereotypes.

I promise it's OK man. The south literally had a cuisine that African American (forced) immigrants really helped invent... Just like I can get the best Italian food from New York, and incredible East European inspired foods in Texas like smoked sausage and meats in general, a technique they used to preserve meats before refrigeration and jerkeys for the winter.

If you want to really respect cultures, point out at some of the cuisine they brought, rather than "its racist to point out, anyone can do it".

Yes, anyone can do it, sometimes certain cultures are better. 👍

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

The secret to Chik-Fil-A chicken is to brine it in pickle juice overnight. Now you can make your own on Sundays.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   

The best fried chicken on the face of the earth is made in the back of a small grocery store in Guthrie, Ky. A town of about 500 people. It's a bunch of old women that have their own little deli thing there and oh my God, it's amazing.

We always get a bunch for holidays like the 4th of July but you have to order 3 months in advance just to be able to get any. People drive all the way from Nashville to get it all the time.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Hope in the wall and small town restaurants are always my go to. They aren't drawing in people from yelp or with their store front, so if you go in and see it's outdated, you know they stayed in business for a reason.

My rule of thumb when traveling is asking where the locals eat.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   

A rule in the south is the dirtier the place is on the outside, the better the food is on the inside...

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I grew up in the 60s in Atlanta and the best chicken was in Hapeville, just south of Atlanta, where Chick fil a was sold restaurant style. It was the best and still is. However, we did have a cook at home (no, not my mother) that still made the best chicken dinners I have ever eaten. Nothing has ever come close. Present day Chick Fil A is still the best hands down and they are the most polite pleasant employees, especially for fast food. Derek Jeter stated that the reason he likes playing ball in the south is one reason, Chick Fil A-and that's from a yankee.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

A rule in the south is the dirtier the place is on the outside, the better the food is on the inside...

Very true sir. And if you're getting smoked meat you better hope they don't clean the smoker either. It's like a cast iron pan, better if soap never hits it.

I know it might sound gross to some people, but if you follow certain food practices, it's fine.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Popeyes could be the #1 chain in America if they weren't so darn slow and had such bad customer service. I remember going there right before dinner. They ran out of chicken. Hello, a chicken place running out of chicken? Let's face it, their employees are scary too, like don't ask for that sweet tea twice kind of scary. Chick fil a has the customer service game down to a science. I like their uniforms too. They always look clean and neat.

Word, I have only been there a couple of times but they ran out of spicy chicken strips! After I was waiting like forever they tried to offer me non spicy and seasoning packets! WTF, there was also like a million grub hub guys behind me also like WTF. There is a reason that "popeyes freakout" generates such violent results.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Obligatory Gus' in Memphis shout-out. I will agree that TN does have the fried chicken game down, although if you compare a lot of other southern states they're all fairly close.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Yea like peanut butter...trust me my dad had a history masters and I was taught whats what...for sure wasnt ever allowed to fail a history class lol. But its cool...you can say whatever you want here its a safe space.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

Memphis is dank when it comes to meat and really its funny I eat more memphis style stuff here in Nashville than I think I eat Nashville style. For those who don't know memphis is dry rub more so than Nashville's wet style for bbq and honestly most meats smoked or other wise.
edit on 27-8-2019 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Does Chic fil A still discriminate against gays?

www.huffpost.com...

I'm not a big fan of chicken but I like their fish.
edit on 27-8-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Does Chic fil A still discriminate against gays?

www.huffpost.com...

Yup, still beating them with shovels too...

www.linktosomerandomgarbagedumpsternewsoutletshomepage.com...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join