It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tank crushes couple's car

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Oslo - A Norwegian couple survived unscathed when a 40-tonne tank taking part in an international military exercise in central Norway ran over and crushed their car, military sources said on Thursday.

A Leopard tank taking part in the exercise involving 15 nations and approximately 14 000 troops ran over a Mercedes parked on the side of a road in Grong at around 18:00 on Wednesday. Neither of the two people inside was injured.

"We stopped the car after pulling way out into the snowdrift (on the side of the road), but the tank just kept coming at us without stopping ... Right after that, the tank drove up on the left side of the hood and continued over the windshield and the roof," driver Knut Okkenhaug, 57, told Norwegian daily Aftenposten.

"The accident is being investigated by military police. It is too early to say how this could have happened," military spokesperson Pia Width said.

source:
news24

well, you can call yourself extremly lucky,
if you survive an 40-tonne iron beast,
running over your car.

"We have tried to make our soldiers conscious of the dangers that exist when they are driving on civilian roads ... One accident is one accident too many."

[edit on 5-3-2005 by Souljah]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This might sound abit sick, but thats actually quite funny!!

Guess I wouldnt be laughing if it happened to me....but what the hay

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
They were extremely lucky. If it was anything but a Mercedes they would be dead, both of them. Here is the car with the driver standing next to it :

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
now THAT is a good commercial for mercedes-benz!

they should use it!

"our cars can get run over a tank, and still protect you!"

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I was a tanker in the US Army for 4 years.....I remember taking out a whole corner of a house with the barrel of my main gun, cause the German streets were so tight in those little towns.

We are always causing some damage...tearing up fields....tearing up cobble stone streets.....banging into cars....knocking over trees. We actually had accountants follow our units around to determine the damage caused and write checks to cover it.

HAHAHAHA...I remember the looks of admiration and gratitude I got from German civilians....watching as my new M-1 tank roared up their little cobble-stone streets.

Maximu§

[edit on 5-3-2005 by LA_Maximus]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I see they train tank drivers well.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Nice!

If only they made a Ford Fiesta tracker add-on.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
They're saying the guy driving the tank could face fines or a prison term of up to 12 months.

Tank driver could face prison term
Police in North-Trøndelag consider the accident a grave offense that could have easily cost Knut and Elise Okkenhaug their lives, newspaper Adresseavisen reports.

Prosecution chief John Bjøraas told the paper that driving such a heavy and dangerous vehicle required extra care. The commander said that a moment's check of the tank's instruments was behind the collision.

"It was just an instant, I ducked my head down in the vehicle to check the map and GPS (Global Positioning System). I had just seen that the road was clear. Then I noticed that the vehicle started to climb while at the same time one of the crew yelled that there was a car in the road. Then I got scared," the tank chief said. He told Adresseavisen he deeply regretted the incident.

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus
I was a tanker in the US Army for 4 years.....I remember taking out a whole corner of a house with the barrel of my main gun, cause the German streets were so tight in those little towns.

We are always causing some damage...tearing up fields....tearing up cobble stone streets.....banging into cars....knocking over trees. We actually had accountants follow our units around to determine the damage caused and write checks to cover it.

HAHAHAHA...I remember the looks of admiration and gratitude I got from German civilians....watching as my new M-1 tank roared up their little cobble-stone streets.

Maximu§

I'm surprised anyone even allows the US military to conduct military exercises in their country.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I was once in a room with a group of people watching a T.V. show where some guy hijacked a M1 and was running around town crushing everything in sight.
One of the women asked who in the world would want to do such a thing.
All of the guys raised thier hands...

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Realist05
I was once in a room with a group of people watching a T.V. show where some guy hijacked a M1 and was running around town crushing everything in sight.
One of the women asked who in the world would want to do such a thing.
All of the guys raised thier hands...

I think I saw that one and the guy was high on meth or something like that.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I'm surprised anyone even allows the US military to conduct military exercises in their country.

Cmon AceofBase. The American military presence in Western Europe as a part of NATO was much needed to counter the Warsaw pact nations. Miitary exercies are a part of indefinite military defensive operations.

If you were joking please disregard any and all previous statements I made concerning your quote.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Given the choice between a serene, pleasant day spent in contemplation and a 60 ton metal crushing machine at your command, what would you choose?

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   

I found some video on the 1995 tank rampage:

www.travelingmindproductions.com...

That's the one I was thinking about, I don't know if it's the one you saw.
I can't find a full copy of the video, that one i linked to just has portions of the original as part of a Methamphetamine documentary.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Given the choice between a serene, pleasant day spent in contemplation and a 60 ton metal crushing machine at your command, what would you choose?

Y'all need to play Grand Theft Auto. Woo hoo!

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
LOL, GTA 3 was banned in Australia at first due to the you know what easter egg.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

Speaking as the only 19E tanker in here....the damage was not intentional, I always did try and respect other peoples property, but when your buttoned up in an M-1 with 3 other guys with all your gear and 1500HP engine roaring 2 feet away and the tracks clacking and trying to keep track of the commands on the comm system AND trying to read a map while bouncing around.....all this can be quite a task and its sometimes hard to see small objects in front of you...(Im talking objects that don't have cannons attached to them).

After a few days in the field.....with very little sleep, we used to rely on Cat-naps (10-20 minutes) so, we were always fatigued and always pushed to the limits to sharpen our skills and harden us.....these tankers coulda been dog tired from 2 weeks in the field and lack of sleep.

As far as field exercises in Germany, most of our skills were sharpened in the German country side... little excercise areas were too small for a tank regiment to manuver properly and lots of times we would have to go thru small towns...across bridges...travel along roads...cross someones fields and sometimes accidents happened. Most civilians got the hell out of my way when they saw my track coming...an M-1 is very big....its loud when on pavement (tracks)....the ground shakes and most knew better, but some people thought they could beat the odds and play chicken and they paid the price.

I saw several deadly accidents and the tank never lost....well, maybe some paint. Im proud of my service....and I wish I was young enough to rejoin.

Maximu§

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus

well that explains it all!
the mystery solved!
no investigation needed!

how is the visibility in the tank?
if you see a parked car, do you see if there are people inside or not?

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
There is a lot of talk about why the tank hit the car here etc. The first question I would ask is why, when these Mercedes drivers saw the big car crushing behemoth bearing down upon them, did they not use its capabilities of motion to avoid being crushed? You cant tell me that an approaching tank makes a sound so sutle as to go missed over the sound of a Merc engine. If I was driving around an saw a thank approaching then there is no way I would leave my car around to be used in Army parallel parking exercizes.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
When I was a driver, I drove an M-60A3. If we were buttoned up with the hatches closed, I relied on glass vision blocks to see and visability was very poor. Imagine driving your car with 90% of your windsheild blocked.

If our hatches were opened you still have a very narrow view of whats in front of you, I depended on the track commander to warn me of upcoming obsticles, cause he was on top of the turret.....like I said small objects were hard to see and a car like that is a small object.

Fatigue may have played a roll in this also....I remember falling asleep while driving in a long road marchs and being kicked in the head by the track commander (you are within reach of his boot) to wake me up. A soldiers life is a hard one...even in peace time, your pushed to the limits and sometimes accidents happen.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join