It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are tariffs a good thing or bad thing

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I am still wondering why you think I said " having a trillion dollar trade imbalance in favor of China is fair". Blathering about the actual number when asked about that is even more confusing.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Sounds like a problem where you live, my food costs have barely risen in 10 years.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: projectvxn

Gotta say, you have your moments.

It's like you're ready to MAGA.

I never not been MAGA. You misunderstand me all these years. I don't care which tactics are used. Laissez faire capitalism or communism makes no difference to me. As long as the purchasing power of the consumer dollar starts rising again everything will eventually turn out okay.

Purchasing Power of the Consumer Dollar Graph of the Last 50 Years

Ummm...huh...?

Then somebodies been hacking and using your account...

Glad to see you’ve wrested it and sanity...back from them...

YouSir

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:53 PM
link   

It was a joke I hope you got it .

And I referred to your position in the first post . Instant gratification isn’t realistic especially at the government levels. People were asking why the wall wasn’t built six months after Trump was in office . And they thought it was a valid point !

Let me ask you a question about tariffs .

If Trump wins the tariff battle in the coming year and exorbitant tariffs like on automobiles come down to our level.

Will it be a good thing or a bad thing ?

I ask similar questions with completely obvious answers all the time. The irritating thing is I never get an answer from a true Trump hater.

The answer of course is that it yes it would be a good thing.

But because of DTS people can’t give the honest answers because they can’t bring theirselves to say anything. That might remotely be considered as positive about Trump .

So what are you think ?

edit on 26-8-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Are tariffs a good thing or bad thing

Neither.
Tariffs are neutral.
And been around since the almost the beginning of trade.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Wise Man . With Number 2 You get Egg Roll .

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   
To me tariffs are similar to gambling. It seems there is a short-term risk for a long-term gain.

It's obviously more complicated than that but that's in a nutshell. With a higher chance for a short-term loss. I'm not sure the probabilities of the long-term gain. however this is the only way I was able to get my Democratic friends to agree with me. Even if it was subtle.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Could be a great thing if American people can consume all these products, cheaper bacon who wouldn't want that, bring Harley home and make the bikes cheaper, im with you in the salmon and lobster, meh to the soy products though too must estrogen.

If there was a way to cut out the middle man who makes most of the profits in retail it's a win win for all involved, we could see better products at cheaper prices.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Sounds like a problem where you live, my food costs have barely risen in 10 years.

I was going to say the same... food costs for me haven't really changed in a decade.

Perhaps it's a problem with the way his state taxes goods...

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   
China's economy is much different compared to most around the world. Their money is almost useless and more of just a formality.

They operate within free market global trade, almost pure capital. Hence why they can easily buy up US debt.

In most senses putting tariffs on another in the free market is bad, and counter productive. It's hard to say of the tariff war is good or bad. But in traditional sense it's bad, since its China tho, its new territory for capitalism.
edit on 26-8-2019 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   

So the video is claiming Chinese tariffs are hurting our lobster and salmon exports to China. Why is this a bad thing! I love lobster and salmon. And if it stops being shipped to Chine then there will be more supply here in the United States. And if there is more supply then the price will drop!!!

Profitability perhaps? Those lobster boats (wild lobster and farms) don't run on IOUs. If the price if lobsters crash, how are they going to pay their bills if take home is only a quarter of pay? Lobster industry is going to crash until the supply (lobster boats and fisherman) meet demand.

More unemployed. But hell, only 3% unemployment, they can go work at Wal-Mart or doing something else.

edit on 26-8-2019 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

It was a joke I hope you got it .

And I referred to your position in the first post . Instant gratification isn’t realistic especially at the government levels. People were asking why the wall wasn’t built six months after Trump was in office . And they thought it was a valid point !

Let me ask you a question about tariffs .

If Trump wins the tariff battle in the coming year and exorbitant tariffs like on automobiles come down to our level.

Will it be a good thing or a bad thing ?

I ask similar questions with completely obvious answers all the time. The irritating thing is I never get an answer from a true Trump hater.

The answer of course is that it yes it would be a good thing.

But because of DTS people can’t give the honest answers because they can’t bring theirselves to say anything. That might remotely be considered as positive about Trump .

So what are you think ?

Or they don’t answer .

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: projectvxn

Gotta say, you have your moments.

It's like you're ready to MAGA.

I never not been MAGA. You misunderstand me all these years. I don't care which tactics are used. Laissez faire capitalism or communism makes no difference to me. As long as the purchasing power of the consumer dollar starts rising again everything will eventually turn out okay.

Purchasing Power of the Consumer Dollar Graph of the Last 50 Years

Are you being facetious with this post?

Maybe those who starred thought so??

Hey, at least this post proves no one EVER bothers to read linked material. Just a heads up: when that graph’s slope is positive or zero, it’s bad.

Maybe you were being facetious, but if not, you should leave economics alone.

Currency manipulation is mercantile mental midgetness, so, too, are tariffs. Fighting fire with Fire. Gonna be a battle of attrition...stay tuned but stay away from economics
edit on 26-8-2019 by Cravens because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   

So..Wiki says President Trump started the "Trade War".

The China–United States trade war is an ongoing economic conflict between the world’s two largest economies, China and the United States.

The conflict, initiated by president of the United States Donald Trump has been characterized by increasing tariffs and other trade barriers with the goal of forcing China to make changes to its alleged "unfair trade practices".[1]
Source: en.wikipedia.org...–United_States_trade_war

China was charging high tariffs on items we exported to that nation. Finally, the U.S. decides to stop being shafted, and fight back.

Does GOOGLE own Wikipedia? Wiki says the Trade War is our fault, and Google search is hiding the fact that China has been ripping us off with high tariffs for many years.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 08:19 PM
link   

There just a thing.

The economic climate of the day will decide if they hurt or help.

IF manufacturing actually does come back to the usa in a big way, then these tariffs are good.

IF we get some quantifiable better trade deal with china then they were good.

Right now they look bad. Right now they are hurting us.
But that may not be true later.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   
We exported ~$120 Billion worth of goods and services to China last year. Our GDP was ~$20,500 Billion (or $20.5 Trillion). Let's pretend China skips tariffs and goes straight to an embargo to "punish" the US. The $120 billion of China trade was roughly 00.5% of our GDP.
Why are we pretending the Chinese could ever seriously hurt our economy through tariffs? Individual businesses, yes, but it is a blip.
We already sell more to the trio of Japan, South Korea, and Vietnam despite China being a much larger market. That's the entire point: they've already highly restricted access to their market.

We're collectively handing them almost half a trillion dollars a year for the privilege of buying things we could buy elsewhere. It's follish to fund the military build up of an openly antagonistic communist country who ignores our IP laws and illegally dumps product in foreign markets undervalue to bankrupt foreign industries. Dumb.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I was going to say the same... food costs for me haven't really changed in a decade.

Perhaps it's a problem with the way his state taxes goods...

Maybe he lives in china where food costs and everything else is steeply climbing due to runaway inflation?

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

So..Wiki says President Trump started the "Trade War".

The China–United States trade war is an ongoing economic conflict between the world’s two largest economies, China and the United States.

The conflict, initiated by president of the United States Donald Trump has been characterized by increasing tariffs and other trade barriers with the goal of forcing China to make changes to its alleged "unfair trade practices".[1]
Source: en.wikipedia.org...–United_States_trade_war

China was charging high tariffs on items we exported to that nation. Finally, the U.S. decides to stop being shafted, and fight back.

Does GOOGLE own Wikipedia? Wiki says the Trade War is our fault, and Google search is hiding the fact that China has been ripping us off with high tariffs for many years.
Never fear, wikipedia isn't a valid source as its user generated.

Infact, it isn't considered a scholarly source in higher education.

posted on Aug, 28 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I say, when is buying american such a bad thing? This whole free trade thing allowed other countries to come here and rape and pillage our own resources as well as opened itself up to buying poisoned, crappy made, cheap junk that we all fight tooth and nail over on black friday.

I say good riddance. We should only ever think of doing any trading, WHEN we find that we need something from another country that we don't have here (child labor doesn't count), when the country we're trading with doesn't have human rights issues. We should only be trading with other FREE countries that take care of their own people. We should snub the rest of the world.

They'll miss out... Just like China is doing now. They're hurting because we're not their honey pot anymore.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Many experts believe Trump's s Trade War with China cause many lose their jobs and increase the probability of a civil war. I'm Not a Democrat or Republican I'm an American worried about our future. Trump seems determined to annihilate our great country!

<< 1    3 >>

join