It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you vote for Trump we can't be friends

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk
a reply to: LSU2018

My oldest has had too much of the Progressive Koolaid, an extremely leftist bi-sexual atheist who thinks the world owes her a living while my youngest is an ultra conservative, Pentacostal anti-vaxer conspiracy theorist. They are both near 30 (31 and 29). They were both very much like me (an open-minded centrist Libertarian) right up until just before the 2016 election.

Tells a tale, doesn't it?

I dunno, surely the common theme of you being the parent doesn't have anything to do with it?

*I'm just ribbing you though, I'm sure you're just as good if not better father than me, I just couldn't resist the humor. No offense was meant.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: funbobby
a reply to: IAMTAT

Part of being in a cult is you are not supposed to be friends with people outside of the cult

And when in a cult, you don't talk about the cult. Everyone that does not agree witht he group collective is to be shunned and seen as evil by all those in the cult.

Interesting similarities, aren't they?

Yeah but that same argument is a double edged sword and can be used both ways. I guess everyone who fought the Nazi's was just some cult, eh?

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

You just realized some people are like that?

One of my wife's best friends went off on her after the election of Trump. Totally broke off relationship with my wife. My wife went to her friends mother's funeral and the friend ended up writing a nasty note to my wife after that.

And the kicker is neither women was very political before this election.

Personally I blame social media for the craziness of some people. If they saw the sky was green on FaceBook, they would believe it.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Why do people blame voters for Trump. The blame lies with the Democrats putting up Hillary Clinton, One of the worst candidates ever, Plus the Democrats offered the people nothing apart from She is not Trump. Like the rest of the world, people are sick of career politicians promising hope but bowing down to their big donors.
In a hundred years people won't belive the choice American people had to make in 2016 election.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

Part of being in a cult is you are not supposed to be friends with people outside of the cult

And when in a cult, you don't talk about the cult. Everyone that does not agree witht he group collective is to be shunned and seen as evil by all those in the cult.

Yeah but that same argument is a double edged sword and can be used both ways. I guess everyone who fought the Nazi's was just some cult, eh?

I mean, the Ruskies certainly seemed to be. No one was trying successful at overthrowing Stalin.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: 11SK1180

I'm happy with my choice, Trump.

As to the OP, I also had a friend that didn't want anything to do with me after hearing I voted Trump. I told them if they didn't wanna be friends anymore due to who I vote for then thats fine by me. They came around a few months later and apologized, so no hard feelings.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

No offense taken, so long as you substitute mother for father!

I raised them to be loving and tolerant people and to look beyond the obvious to see the truth and they were both wonderful to be around until all of the social media and mainstream media programming that kicked into high gear with the 2016 election. They each drank too much of the Koolaid on opposite ends of the kitchen table. Now as much as I love them both I can barely stand spending too much time with either of them, or especially when they are both together. I am glad to live halfway across the country but sometimes I really hate having a phone!

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   
ATTENTION PLEASE:

Knock of the tit for tat and name calling before you end up Posting Banned. This is not the Mud Pit, act like it.

Do not reply to this post.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I mean, the Ruskies certainly seemed to be. No one was trying successful at overthrowing Stalin.

Touche!

And considering what they did to us in 2016, if the shoe fits

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Eh, I was going to say that my sister has three boys in that approximate age range, and really, politics doesn't necessarily have much to do with it. Depending on the day, what one has the other two want or what one has, the other two don't want anything to do with something the same.

So if one gets a blue (or red) bowl, the other two could beat each other bloody (figuratively) either trying to both have blue bowls two or to have bowls any color but blue themselves.

Or they may not care at all.

But they will all three be on the same page whatever one it is.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

No offense taken, so long as you substitute mother for father!

I raised them to be loving and tolerant people and to look beyond the obvious to see the truth and they were both wonderful to be around until all of the social media and mainstream media programming that kicked into high gear with the 2016 election. They each drank too much of the Koolaid on opposite ends of the kitchen table. Now as much as I love them both I can barely stand spending too much time with either of them, or especially when they are both together. I am glad to live halfway across the country but sometimes I really hate having a phone!

I have really come to realize lately that there is a huge amount of value in disconnecting from news and media sources regularly just to reset ones own 'centeredness'. I too have felt the inexorable urge to let my emotions and emotional state be driven by those entities and its taken a not insubstantial amount of willpower to keep myself sequestered from them regularly so my mental health/well-being isn't affected.

It sounds like your kids could have used some of that at some point also.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Eh, I was going to say that my sister has three boys in that approximate age range, and really, politics doesn't necessarily have much to do with it. Depending on the day, what one has the other two want or what one has, the other two don't want anything to do with something the same.

So if one gets a blue (or red) bowl, the other two could beat each other bloody (figuratively) either trying to both have blue bowls two or to have bowls any color but blue themselves.

Or they may not care at all.

But they will all three be on the same page whatever one it is.

I'm disheartened to hear that I too can expect my own 3 kids inane bickering to continue on into practically adulthood

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Touche!

You speak as if it's in the past, in reality they just have a few trolls playing both sides of any hot topic in the US. They know after we tanked their economy for Crimea, they aren't powerful enough to beat us, so they use free speech to pit us against each other.

I think we could be allies with them if we stopped acting like they were a handicapped red headed step child at the world table. They actually frequently impress me at what they're able to accomplish with as much economic power as the state of Texas.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Touche!

I think we could be allies with them if we stopped acting like they were a handicapped red headed step child at the world table. They actually frequently impress me at what they're able to accomplish with as much economic power as the state of Texas.

Oh absolutely. I have nothing but respect and love for the Russian people (as just like any other people they are wholly good in all respects). Its really Putin (and the other evil actors he employs) that constitute the 'Bad' of Russia when I reference them.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Well I can't be her friend come 2020

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I guess you just couldn't help equating it to Nazi's huh? That was during an active shooting war, people defending against an active war machine ravaging and taking over countries. Yeah, that's similar to political rhetoric....fool.

I never claimed a side, now did I, huh? It does apply on all sides of radical adherence to a dogmatic political ideology. When we stop listening and begin shunning and banning people for merely a differing of opinion (and Nazism was more that that, be real here), we risk being seen as living in a cultish mindset.

If you cannot see that, maybe you are in the cult?

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I love the thought process so some people. I'm tolerant and welcome diversity as long as you agree completely with me.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Touche!

Oh absolutely. I have nothing but respect and love for the Russian people (as just like any other people they are wholly good in all respects). Its really Putin (and the other evil actors he employs) that constitute the 'Bad' of Russia when I reference them.

I guess it's all context and perspective.

I read several articles alleging that the US was backing Putin opposition leader Alexei Navalny... Maybe some of us would believe that he was better than Putin, but I would venture to guess most Russians would just be offended we "know what's good for them" or even meddle with their internal affairs in the first place.

This is not new though, the Russian's bragged about helping JFK get elected.

In the 90's, Clinton helped get Boris Yeltsin elected, knowing he was weak for Russia. All while we encroached closer to Russian mainland with NATO, even though we had promised not to.

Just like how there is nuance to the Left vs Right debacle we speak of in this thread, Russia vs US goes way back and has each side throwing low blows from time to time. The problem is when one side convinces themselves they are morally superior to the other, that they are "right".

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   

An apt comparison, if you think anyone voting for Trump is a Nazi.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I guess you just couldn't help equating it to Nazi's huh? That was during an active shooting war, people defending against an active war machine ravaging and taking over countries. Yeah, that's similar to political rhetoric....fool.

I never claimed a side, now did I, huh? It does apply on all sides of radical adherence to a dogmatic political ideology. When we stop listening and begin shunning and banning people for merely a differing of opinion (and Nazism was more that that, be real here), we risk being seen as living in a cultish mindset.

If you cannot see that, maybe you are in the cult?

Chill Honey Bunny. I didn't equate one side of the political spectrum to Nazi's, merely that by your definition we can view historically heroic groups as 'cults'. Your statement was broad and easily flipped around to be used by whichever side. I'm pretty sure that wasn't your intent, so I'd recommend tweaking it a bit if your message (as I assume) is to call to light tribalism and cultish behavior that propagates from it.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join