It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1911 - A Trip Through New York City

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I find videos featuring the life people lived in the late 1800's early 1900's fascinating , ordinary people going about their ordinary lives on an ordinary day in 1911 that to future people like me more than 100 years later seems quite extraordinary.

Why not take 7 minutes , hop on board and take a trip around New York City as our ancestors knew it in 1911 , a simpler but harder life I feel.

Little did they know when staring at the camera that they'd sealed their immortality in film.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Very cool. If you like this you'll really enjoy Peter Jackson's World War I documentary They Will Not Be Forgotten.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Thank you that was a very nice post.

I think a simpler, and somewhat smelly life, but it looked very pleasant, compared to today’s rat race.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   

TY.
Having lived and worked in NYC...and walked many of those same streets...it was really fun to watch.
S&F

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Good stuff. I enjoy these videos as well.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Enjoyed seeing this very much! Thank you for sharing with us!

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Great slice of life film that I return to from time to time.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   

And also, to think, that to each and every one of those people, life to them was exactly as life is to us. Theirs was full colour, vibrant, stereophonic every day life. Nothing was out of place.

Except the weird guy with that strange contraption facing them, which most would have looked at fleetingly.

It's such a melancholy thing to think, that almost every single person in that, is now a memory to a grand child, an elderly son or daughter, and recorded only in photograph books...

Most forgotten, every item of clothing, gone. Every witnessed event, never to be seen once more.

And the machines used, all but rusted or eroded to history...

Just as ours will be, one day.. As we become the faded memories, the forgotten things, as time ever slowly migrates from one sleep to the next...

edit on 26-8-2019 by gallop because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Cool thanks for sharing. I enjoy those videos. I've never seen the New York one before. It reminds me of this one from Vancouver in 1907

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Crazy to think that EVERYONE in that video is dead. Or at least more than likely they are. Everyone is dressed so nicely also.

"Hey honey, where's my tie? I'm gonna go out and get the newspaper"!

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   
this tells you how racist hollywood is.
i live across the street from the lincoln tunnel. i am in the city all the time, went to school there.
my whole life, i knew, if you walk down the street, you see every race creed and color around.

in these videos, you see a lot of black people.
yet in movies, they never cast minorities.

and the excuse with old timey set films, 'there were not a lot of black people then' or some nonsense.

well, this film tells you, nyc had lots of black people in 1911.

damn, wearing suits all the time would stink huge. 2 weeks ago it was so hot and muggy, i saw a guy, who asked me how to get to the river, i says, 'why you wearing that suit?' he said, 'my ride dropped me off at the wrong spot...' lol.

last few days, we have had ultra low humidity, its bangin over here.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Tekaran

i thought of that too. you see little kids running around, damn. those kids got old in an 'instant' to us.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I noticed all the hats.

Nobody wears hats anymore.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Ahem.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

It is an interesting film clip.

I hate to be a buzz-kill, but sound didn't show up in movies until about the mid-1920's...especially synchronized sound. So, pretty much all of the sound has been dubbed in based on someone's imagination of what it sounded like.

The reason I note this is, because I imagine the sound was actually quite a bit different in reality, and much noisier...not nearly as serene. You have to remember, this was before all the modern day sound suppression and mufflers on everything. You would heard factories and machines running everywhere, steam engines and the like.

I showed this clip to my father once (he was born outside of Boston in 1923). His first comment (less than 30 seconds in) was it didn't sound like that at all.

ETA - One thing I want to know is, why could people walk all the way down the street back then while reading the newspaper, and people today look at their cell phone for 5 seconds and stumble into someone???? What changed?

edit on 8/26/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

The video title includes the disclaimer that it is 'speed corrected and with added sound'.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I see that now.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: IAMTAT

Ahem.

Present company excepted.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this.

My great-greats came through Ellis island from Italy and Germany and it's awesome to see some of the sights they probably saw.

Crazy how things have changed in 100 years

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Why not take 7 minutes , hop on board and take a trip around New York City as our ancestors knew it in 1911 , a simpler but harder life I feel.

I watched this last night on YouTube. Also the one from old Paris. I kept thinking, "All these people and animals are long dead." Yeah, I'm cheery.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join