It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Man Found Guilty Of Manslaughter Despite 'Stand Your Ground' Defense

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Sweep the knee.

Works well unless unless the guy's trainer is Mr. Miyagi. Always carry a backup.

posted on Aug, 25 2019 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
I believe society decided shooting at a person's feet to make a point isn't something to allow.

You are only allowed to shoot at a person's feet if you are trying to make them dance.

posted on Aug, 25 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Oh dam, ..now I know it's a fallen world...

Logics all scrambled, society gettin swirled

If we could make prejudice friggin obsolete den

See my brother and me walkin hand in hand down the street

It looks like our planet is caught in a jam yet

Take my dog for a walk first put on a helmet

Policing in battle gear don't let em get that near

Better stay hidden from the known pack of seven

Get your Spirit infused leaving here going to Heaven....

Fallen World....by rapper G J....

Don't yet start your jumpin....or hand out a thumpin....sit yourself right down there....

I gotta tell us somethin.....

edit on 25-8-2019 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

edit on 25-8-2019 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Aww, that's being mean....making someone do a jig ....seen on tv

originally posted by: Lysergic

originally posted by: roadgravel
I believe society decided shooting at a person's feet to make a point isn't something to allow.

You are only allowed to shoot at a person's feet if you are trying to make them dance.

posted on Aug, 25 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Let's change one element of this event. Put a uniform and a badge on the shooter.

Would this have ever made the news, much less court?

posted on Aug, 25 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

THAT is the most poignant question I have seen yet.

You know the answer... justified homicide. I don't really see what difference the color of the clothes should make. this was not justified, regardless of who was doing the shooting.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 25 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
Let's change one element of this event. Put a uniform and a badge on the shooter.

Would this have ever made the news, much less court?

The cop would be guilty. We have precedent in the Walter Scott case that happened about 2 years ago.

Walter attacked the cop. Wrestled with him on ground. Cop shot Walter in back after he disengaged and continued used to run away. It was on video.

This case is very similar. Once victim disengages you cannot shoot someone.

posted on Aug, 25 2019 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Duderino

all I know is what I can see in the video there, doesn't seem like one would even need stand your ground to defend oneself once flat on your back, Florida Man is always getting in a pickle. Probably where it ceases to be self defense is when the other guy runs away and the fellow keeps shooting at him, it's pretty hard to say you are defending yourself from someone who is running away from you and is not shooting at you.
edit on 25-8-2019 by funbobby because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   
All I see here is someone trying to turn a tragic event into a political bargaining chip. This wouldn't even be on the radar of the op if skin color were reversed.

I'd be interested to know why that guy rushed out of the store and assaulted that old man in the first place...

posted on Aug, 25 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY
FFS, and what do you do when the ricochet hits an innocent bystander..not smart, you are not in a "combat zone" commander!

edit on 25-8-2019 by vonclod because: better choice of words

posted on Aug, 25 2019 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

Because the guy was going at his wife!! what would you do?

Read the f'ing story!

edit on 25-8-2019 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980

All I see here is someone trying to turn a tragic event into a political bargaining chip. This wouldn't even be on the radar of the op if skin color were reversed.

The reason the case is relevant owes to the fact of the defense the shooter tried to employ and whether it was a legal action or not relevant to potentially similar future issues. You know, precedent.

I'd be interested to know why that guy rushed out of the store and assaulted that old man in the first place...

Maybe the old guy was a douche canoe.

posted on Aug, 25 2019 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

The article I read suggested it was over a disabled parking space, and the guy pulling the gun had previous for getting enraged by people who park in said bays with out correct permission, while it is something that also grinds my gears, it is not a death sentence in any part of the world I am aware of, yet here we are, someone dead.

Florida car-park killing: Gunman guilty as 'stand your ground' defence fails

after a fight broke out over a disabled parking space

Drejka also said that his "pet peeve" was illegal parking in disabled spaces, and he admitted to police that he had frequently taken photos of offending cars. Court documents revealed he had been accused as an aggressor in four other road incidents between 2012 and 2018. In three of them, prosecutors alleged that he threatened people with a gun.

He like showing how tough he was by freely pointing his gun at people, tough guy...not

posted on Aug, 25 2019 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Violater1

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
Seems he deserved the manslaughter charge. He initiated the confrontation. Sure he got shoved to the ground, but that’s hardly a reason to open fire on someone.

I think he’s lucky it’s not a murder charge.

I'll bet a goFundMe will be set and a high profile attorney will be hired.
Then an appeal with a change of venue will be filed.

There is no such thing as filing a change of venue for an appeal. All appeals from a Florida trial court go to the Florida Court of Appeals for the Districy where the trial court is located. Since the trial was in Pinellas, the appeal must go the the 2nd District Court of Appeals in Lakeland with a branch in Tampa. A change of venue can result from a request made before trial. I's not something that can be used if you don't like the result of a trial. He would have trouble finding a good "high profile" lawyer since this case is a loser. And, yes, I am a lawyer.

posted on Aug, 26 2019 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Starhooker
a reply to: SaturnFXDo very
If the guy who was pushed hit his head and died, would the pusher get a murder charge? Does a verbal spat necessitate a hard shovin?

Dude shouldn't have shot other dude imo, just wondering though if the shove had actually hurt drejka.

Well, its a bit late to pull the gun even in that situation...now if he was some western gunslinger who got the piece out and shot him as the guy was going in to push, then there might be a debate there, however he was already sitting down on the ground and fine...that wasn't a omg, he is gonna pick me up and slam me down again reaction...that was a shot made out of anger, not fear.

If he did nothing, that dude would be alive and most likely behind bars for 90 days or so and the shooter would be out having barbecues with family...but hey...I guess he can spend the next few decades talking to cellmates how he killed a man for being pushed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join