It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leopard print apparel for young girls is wrong

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 05:31 PM
link   
My young daughter loves all things feline, including leopard print clothes. I'm not sure if she fancies the emulated-fur look, or if she thinks it makes her look like a leopard. I should ask.

I am perplexed. In my mind, leopard print is associated with sluttiness. I think it's because of Carrie, or maybe Emily. Laura? Nevermind: it's something women use in an attempt to look sexy and young girls should not be encouraged to wear it, ever. If I had my way, children's clothes would only come in monochrome. No glitter, no trite phrases, no cartoon characters.

I told my wife my thoughts. She seemed a bit puzzled, which made me feel like I'm on Shutter Island or something. Nevertheless, the wife didn't buy my daughter the leopard-print-whatever she wanted while they were shopping today for her school clothes, so I also feel loved, and like my opinion has been considered.

Will anyone on ATS back me up? Is leopard print for young girls ever OK? Were my perceptions warped by the wrong people at the wrong time? Am I being unfair to all women who wear leopard print?

I'd have put this in the Rant forum but I'm actually feeling pretty calm.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

If you can think of a young boy wearing a leopard print t-shirt, and you don't think the boy looks cheap and slutty, please rethink your predjuice.

Don't you think that woman are tired of being told what they can wear and can't wear by the men in their lives.

Yes I know that you are talking about a little girl but what you are doing is sexualialising a girl and making her feel ashamed.

Stop it. If men ever want a sexual partner that is truly their equal, then stop making us ashamed.

Tired of Control Freaks (even fathers who think that a young girl could ever be sexual, except in the eyes of a pedo)

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   

The problem is adults, not kids.

Adults are the only one who associate anythibg further than kids like animals, hence, the like to dress in things resembling animals.

Look at kids pajamas. Half of them are animal like.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Sorry, Dad. You have to rethink this. Your daughter likes cats. Don't overthink this. You are being a bully.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Get her a chastity belt and let her wear what she wants.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I think children should not be dressed to look like mini adults. I don't agree with the bra and panty sets they sell in some stores for prepubescent children.

Saying this, I must add that some adults dress way too provocatively and that dressing to titillate is an inappropriate game, especially in today's society. The look but don't let me catch you looking, and the you damn sure better not touch game that some women like to play, makes for problems that add to the problems we already have.

Keeping in mind however that dressing a child modestly will not stop arousal in many pedophiles. For some the more innocent a child looks the more they are drawn to the child. The same with many rapist. Age, looks, race, or mental impairment, are not factors that impeded their desire to control, hurt, or terrorize their victims.

The choice of clothing is purely a personal decision made by you and your wife. I personally believe that dressing to the whims of society leans toward teaching your child into following the crowd. Allowing a child a bit of individually, at a time when they don't care what other people think, may be a step in the right direction, since the parents are the ones that are really concerned about what friends, neighbors, and strangers may think or say.

I am an old broad and I still get a kick out of the shock I see on some faces when I let my freak flag fly.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
If you can think of a young boy wearing a leopard print t-shirt, and you don't think the boy looks cheap and slutty, please rethink your predjuice.

I have never seen such a thing. Have you? To conjure up the image, it's just ridiculous.

Don't you think that woman are tired of being told what they can wear and can't wear by the men in their lives.

First. My seven year old daughter is not a woman. She is a little girl. She relies on me and I keep her safe.
Second. I never told a woman what she can and can't wear. I have only ever known sluts to wear leopard print. Maybe I'm sheltered, but it's a fact of my existence and I am merely reporting it.

Yes I know that you are talking about a little girl but what you are doing is sexualialising a girl and making her feel ashamed.

No. The whole point of my thread is that I am puzzled to see an aesthetic I had hitherto only ever seen in association with females whose identities were built around manipulating men with their sexuality, now being associated with young girls.

Stop it. If men ever want a sexual partner that is truly their equal, then stop making us ashamed.

Tired of Control Freaks (even fathers who think that a young girl could ever be sexual, except in the eyes of a pedo)

I have struck a chord with you. Perhaps I'll let the rest of your comment stand unanswered.
edit on 24/8/2019 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

The problem is adults, not kids.

Couldn't agree more.

Adults are the only one who associate anythibg further than kids like animals, hence, the like to dress in things resembling animals.

Look at kids pajamas. Half of them are animal like.

If I understand you, you're saying the difference is i.e., adults look at owls and perhaps see a metaphor for wisdom, where kids see a cool bird that says "hoo-hoot" and is friends with Winnie the Pooh? I generally agree. That somewhat reinforces the point of my thread. Would you agree?

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

I will genuinely take this into consideration. First time dad, in our times. Who wouldn't be hyper vigilant? But a bully? Yikes. That's not a look for me. Thanks for commenting.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck

Get her a chastity belt and let her wear what she wants.

You are a poet. Did you know it?

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Yes you have struck a chord.

Listen and listen carefully. or someday it will be your daughter with the chord.

If you want to keep her off the stripper pole, don't worry worry about leopard print. The most important thing that she needs is a solid relationship with YOU. a girl learns how to relate to boys and men from her father. If she can have a deep meaningful relationship with you, she will have the self esteem and self worth to wait for a deep relationship with other men/boys. She will not be fooled into thinking that her only value is between her legs.

When your wife refused to buy her leopard print, did she tell your daughter that you don't like it. No matter how gently the refusal, it comes down to the same thing. Girls are stupid. Girls need to be told what to wear because their judgement can't be trusted. She would have felt ashamed. The lesson learned....listen to men. Not woman because it wasn't your wife who thought it was too sexual...it was you!!

Talk to her, play with her, bring her fishing hunting, atv righting...whatever and when your relationship is stong...when her self esteem is well established, when she knows her value and worth reflected in her eyes, well leopard print will not matter

OH and take a look at leopard print tshirts for boys

www.google.com... QsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1600&bih=789

see you are being completely gynolphobic...now is't that sad for a father to feel toward his daughter

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I've never been a fan of any animal print on consumer goods.

I just think it's tacky.

But to each his own.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
I think children should not be dressed to look like mini adults. I don't agree with the bra and panty sets they sell in some stores for prepubescent children.

I have not seen those. Chances are, most of the daddy/daughter clothes shopping was done a couple years ago, before she started school. It's all on the wife, now...

Saying this, I must add that some adults dress way too provocatively and that dressing to titillate is an inappropriate game, especially in today's society. The look but don't let me catch you looking, and the you damn sure better not touch game that some women like to play, makes for problems that add to the problems we already have.

Couldn't agree more. It's a real minefield out there.

Keeping in mind however that dressing a child modestly will not stop arousal in many pedophiles. For some the more innocent a child looks the more they are drawn to the child. The same with many rapist. Age, looks, race, or mental impairment, are not factors that impeded their desire to control, hurt, or terrorize their victims.

To be honest, the primary concern on my mind was the (comparatively) less complex cognitive dissonance resulting from the juxtaposition of said elements...yours are crazymaking thoughts altogether.

The choice of clothing is purely a personal decision made by you and your wife. I personally believe that dressing to the whims of society leans toward teaching your child into following the crowd. Allowing a child a bit of individually, at a time when they don't care what other people think, may be a step in the right direction, since the parents are the ones that are really concerned about what friends, neighbors, and strangers may think or say.

I am an old broad and I still get a kick out of the shock I see on some faces when I let my freak flag fly.

Let it fly you crazy old broad! Thanks for responding.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Leapord print is associated with sluttiness? Until now I was unaware of the leapords reputation for its sexual prowess. Isnt the design of the clothing itself what is most important? I dont think its the leapord print that makes an item slutty.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

Yes you have struck a chord.

I should not be surprised. I am a very good musician.

Listen and listen carefully.

I have dropped everything

or someday it will be your daughter with the chord.

In point of fact we all have 'em.

When your wife refused to buy her leopard print, did she tell your daughter that you don't like it.

Nope, made a point not to.

No matter how gently the refusal, it comes down to the same thing. Girls are stupid.

Hasty conclusion, if you ask me.

Girls need to be told what to wear because their judgement can't be trusted. She would have felt ashamed.

Children have notoriously poor judgment. When my daughter asks for dance class, singing lessons, etc., I say "Yea!" When she asks for leopard print, I say "Nope". Perhaps I'm wrong and I'm sure I will find out the hard way, like I always do. Hehe self-dig.

it wasn't your wife who thought it was too sexual...it was you!!

Yep that's right. Don't you think my objection to my young daughter wearing a sexually-suggestive aesthetic is a positive thing? Even if it is an error in my perception, it is still a rational response. I know this is an uncomfortable topic, but for #s sake I am a reader of ATS, a platform featuring frequent discussions purporting rampant pedophilia in the upper echelons of society. Whether these are mere spook stories or reality, they influence the minds of people with children, ie parents, ie people who have to worry about things like clothing their young and imparting a sense of propriety.

Talk to her, play with her, bring her fishing hunting, atv righting...whatever and when your relationship is stong...when her self esteem is well established, when she knows her value and worth reflected in her eyes, well leopard print won't matter

Can't argue with that. I will continue doing my best for my daughter.

OH and take a look at leopard print tshirts for boys

www.google.com... QsAR6BAgGEAE&biw=1600&bih=789

My ignorance has been exposed, strangely I still find it very strange...almost disturbing. Takes all kinds? I also hate, specifically, the crunching sound of potato chip mastication.

see you are being completely gynolphobic...now is't that sad for a father to feel toward his daughter

That was a high quality way to end the post.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 06:53 PM
link   

When my daughter was the same age, she loved animals especially cats, leopards and the like. She would always choose leopard print clothing and would love to dress up as different animals. It's a kid thing, don't worry.

For me, Leopard print on someone over 10 years old is A no go.

I do understand your position- with the whole pedo signs we have been educated recently with- for example panda, pineapple, pizza etc.

Just remember to let your child play out her imagination while protecting her.
edit on 24-8-2019 by Onlyyouknow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

Strange world. I am utterly baffled that others don't see it that way. I may have to eat crow and admit that I have made hasty judgments if more like you roll through the thread. Thanks for commenting.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Women here, so my opinion is the correct one. 😜

You're being a great dad on this one. Your wife is lucky that you care about what your little girl wears, and that you don't just slough all of that off onto her. Your little girl is lucky that what she wears matters to you, and if you choose your battles wisely as she grows up, she will feel cherished and loved by you, her dad, and it will be easier for her to have self-respect and she wI'll choose boys and men who cherish and respect her (MOST of the time; we all have to date an asshole or two- we just have to, I don't know why but it's exciting, but the difference with your daughter will be that she will grow bored with the asshole VERY quickly; don't worry, it will only happen once or twice, when she's older).

Just choose your battles wisely, or you can easily let yourself slip over into controlling asshole. Good luck!

Now: is it wrong to associate animal print with sluts? Not really. I know that I'm screaming "I'm smoking hot and I know it" when I wear animal print. I have one dress, it's a wrap dress, right at knee length, moderately deep V-neck, which is a very femininely shaped dress but nothing over the top. It's a dark gray background color with black spots; leopard print. I would never wear it anywhere except on a date or to a party. It's not even a loud or particularly noticeable leopard print at first glance, but it's enough. And I think that most women know that when they wear animal print, it's sending out a "sexy" vibe. That's why you'll never see a normal woman wear animal print to a job interview or to church. If they do, don't hire them, because they're either crazy, out of touch, or being rebellious.

I think less people today associate animal print with sluttiness than in the past, but the problem is you don't know who does and who doesn't, so one should just assume people are going to think your animal print pants are communicating "sex."

Which, of course, NO YOUNG GIRL should have being associated wih her, and which, of course, shows that you are a caring and involved dad. Truly, more dads should do like you are, and think about this stuff! I say good job, dad.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 07:04 PM
link   

I have always adored leopard print, tiger stripes, zebra, giraffe, snake skin patterns, etc. So have my daughters and granddaughter. Sounds like you've been poisoned by patriarchal misogynist thinking- and I am the furthest thing from a liberal snowflake as you can get! Pull the stick out and loosen up man!

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk
Pull the stick out and loosen up man!

For you, I'll try.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join