It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ritalin Triples Chromosome Abnormalities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Many threads have been posted in the months since I have been a member, I have not seen any mention of the physical side effects of Ritalin on the users? I found this very recent article on this and felt that it should be something that everybody should read especially since their are millions of Ritalin users in the US alone. Has there been enough research in this area or are parents unwittingly killing their children? In my view Ritalin is the Thalidomide of the 21st Century.

"Newswise — In a small but startling preliminary new study, Texas researchers have found that after just three months, every one of a dozen children treated for attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) with the drug methylphenidate (commonly known by the brand name Ritalin) experienced a threefold increase in levels of chromosome abnormalities—occurrences associated with increased risks of cancer and other adverse health effects.

The researchers say that to their knowledge this is the first study addressing the potential chromosome-breaking effects associated with treatment of children with methylphenidate, the generic name for a group of drugs that includes Ritalin, Concerta, Metadate CD and others.

Methylphenidate is the most widely prescribed of a class of amphetamine-like drugs used to treat ADHD, with more than 10 million prescriptions written for it in 1996 alone. Between 1991 and 1999, United States sales of methylphenidate increased more than 500 percent. "

www.opednews.com...
www.foxnews.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
wow, i never heard of anything that extensive,, the most i've heard of is appetite loss.

though, my appetite loss over the years i took ritalin was to the extent that i am absolutely convinced it stunted my growth a bit from malnutrition.

join