It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major breakthrough: Complex quantum teleportation achieved for the first time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Austrian and Chinese scientists have for the first time succeeded in transferring three-dimensional quantum states [symbolic image]

Independent: Quantum teleportation breakthrough announced by scientists

Popular Mechanics: World's First Complex Quantum Teleportation Paves the Way for Next-Gen Computing

IndiaTimes:Scientists Achieve Complex Quantum Teleportation, Which Can Revolutionize How We Communicate

PhysicsWorld: Quantum teleportation moves into the third dimension

Researchers from the Austrian Academy of Sciences and the University of Vienna have experimentally demonstrated what was previously only a theoretical possibility. Together with quantum physicists from the University of Science and Technology of China, they have succeeded in teleporting complex high-dimensional quantum states. The research teams report this international first in the journal Physical Review Letters.

In their study, the researchers teleported the quantum state of one photon (light particle) to another distant one. Previously, only two-level states ("qubits") had been transmitted, i.e., information with values "0" or "1". However, the scientists succeeded in teleporting a three-level state, a so-called "qutrit". In quantum physics, unlike in classical computer science, "0" and "1" are not an 'either/or' – both simultaneously, or anything in between, is also possible. The Austrian-Chinese team has now demonstrated this in practice with a third possibility "2".
Phys.org

• Quantum teleportation moves one quantum state to another.
  • Usually done with two-dimensional pieces of information called qubits, scientists were able to transport 3-dimensional qutrits.
  • These qutrits could allow quantum computing to expand into the next generation.

• Here we go, another huge leap in technology, albeit on a tiny scale for the moment.
    From a tiny acorn does every mighty oak grow, though- just look at how things like the internet and touch-screen devices have evolved so quickly!
    And next year we have Neuralink starting human trials, in 5 years another manned Moon landing...
    The future is now!

Stay Astonished

ADAM&EVIL
    edit on 24-8-2019 by ADAMandEVIL because: ETA fixes

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 11:35 AM
    link   
    I think I need to read up on quantum computing, I would like to know how a machine can work with 0 and 1 in the same place.. it would be like that guy that always say... "perhaps" to everything you ask

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 11:59 AM
    link   
    a reply to: Spacespider

Ah, the plight of quantum computing. The infinite challenge of an instruction set architecture.

Believe me, we still make regular improvements to existing binary ISA's.

The first being to create an all inclusive quantum instruction set architecture, is probably God.

As a non "religious" person, in general. I do not make that claim lightly.

I have attempted to make a quantum ISA before.

I thought to myself, "Hey, a few years and ill knock it out."

I worked on it for months and months.

Scrapped the project. Wat too massive for any one person to accomplish, and probably daunting, even with a team.

So, I've said it every time there is a quantum computing breakthrough.
    Show me a full instruction set, or all you have is no more than the Fuzzy Logic chapter of George Boole's "The Mathematical Analysis of Logic"

Edit:
    Besides, there is no breakthrough here, without "copy paste"
    If you make an infinite possibility state storage unit, but all it can do is teleport, and if you read it, write to it, or try to copy it, it changes... All you have is a teleporting blob monster of data, that you can never use for anything. This is literally still an achievement at the bottom of the hill for quantum. Our progress with quantum, watches, as a snail's pace zips by at breakneck speed like Usain Bolt.
    edit on 24-8-2019 by Archivalist because: Sad for quantum

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 12:03 PM
    link   

I always compare it to a maze. I/O would start a the beginning and work every path till the end is found. Quantum computing starts at the beginning of the maze, the end and the middle at the same time working towards eachother...

Really simplified but works for a general notion of the concept.

Peace

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 12:11 PM
    link   
    a reply to: ADAMandEVIL

this part interests me more than the computing aspect:

PhysicsWorld: Quantum teleportation moves into the third dimension

this will be the area where creating sensing devices/AI robots and teleporting them to distant worlds within this Galaxy will be accomplished via Quantum-Entanglement and the property of 'spooky-action-at-Light-Years-distances'

maybe the indigenous entities will then create an Ark to tote around the 'supernatural device' our scientists projected to their planet/world
    edit on th31156666672724122019 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 12:14 PM
    link   

Cubits are the ticket.

Quantum computers don't utilize the same Boolean logic.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 12:48 PM
    link   
    a reply to: St Udio

this will be the area where creating sensing devices/AI robots and teleporting them to distant worlds within this Galaxy will be accomplished via Quantum-Entanglement and the property of 'spooky-action-at-Light-Years-distances'

Maybe thats why there's so many UFO sightings. They're getting a read on us before we start popping out on a distant planet like they do here.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 03:12 PM
    link   
    I would think "Skynet" would be a good name.. and have a countdown timer to when they activate its A.I functions.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 03:25 PM
    link   

Party pooper

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 04:23 PM
    link   
    It is my scientific opinion that it’s only a matter of time before one of the lenses will mallfunction, due to earsmear.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 04:34 PM
    link   
    a reply to: ADAMandEVIL

Should probably add it's "qubits", not "cubit". LoL

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 05:40 PM
    link   
    Quantum computer... Will it run Windows XP?

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 05:43 PM
    link   
    So does this allow for communication of information? In normal quantum states you will only know if the entangled bit is 0 or 1 by looking at the one you have local. Thus there is no information being passed, just knowledge of state after the fact. So for communications purposes it will not work.

I don't pretend to know how this all works, but with a 3d quantum state, it seems like you may also be passing information. If that is the case, could it be used for faster than light communications? It would be useful for deep space missions, such as missions to Mars, where the communications distance can be as much as 20 light minutes.

Instantaneous communications across vast distances would be amazing. If they ever do the mini light sails to Proxima Centauri at 20% the speed of light, it would take them 20 years to reach there, and another 4 years for any data to be sent back. This would make the information received from the micro probes, instant, shaving 4 years off the delay time.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 06:34 PM
    link   
    a reply to: Cropper

No.

posted on Aug, 25 2019 @ 02:01 AM
    link   
    a reply to: MrRCflying

So does this allow for communication of information?

As I understand it there is a fundamental rule within QM which prevents meaningful information from being transmitted at FTL speeds using entanglement. When you hear people talking about quantum communication what it really means is quantum cryptography. We cannot send information FTL but we can send true random data FTL which is immune to man-in-the-middle attacks, and that can be used in cryptographic protocols for things like secret keys.

In other words, a 0 and 1 is really all you need to send information, adding more states doesn't change the rules of QM, although it may have some advantages. "Complex quantum teleportation" is a nice sounding headline but it's also quite misleading as it implies we're sending real information FTL. What they are really doing is sending random qutrits FTL, at least that's what common sense and the laws of quantum mechanics would tell me.

posted on Aug, 25 2019 @ 02:04 AM
    link   
    a reply to: ChaoticOrder

Yup.

The FTL factor is irrelevant because you don't know what happened until you communicate it. And the fastest you can do that is at the speed of light.

posted on Aug, 25 2019 @ 07:15 AM
    link   
    Before you all jump to Hyperspace. Can anyone describe for a layman what they did?

posted on Aug, 25 2019 @ 08:28 AM
    link   

originally posted by: TheSkunk
    Before you all jump to Hyperspace. Can anyone describe for a layman what they did?

This is from the article below. I suppose we can call the other interacting 1/2 shared particles 'Ted' and 'Carol'. lol

The basic idea is that Alice and Bob share a pair of entangled particles (in the terminology of quantum cryptography, Alice being the sender of a message and Bob the receiver). Then Alice interacts a third particle – in an unknown state – with her half of the entangled pair, measures the outcome of the interaction, and then tells Bob the result via a classical channel. Given that information and a measurement on his half of the entangled pair, Bob is able to work out the original unknown state – which is what has been teleported.

physicsworld.com...

new topics

top topics

join