It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hong Kong at boiling point violence starts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   
www.independent.co.uk...

Officers returned fire with tear gas as they clashed with hundreds of protesters following a march against the government’s installation of “smart lampposts”, which are equipped with cameras and sensors. The government has said the lampposts will only collect air quality, traffic and weather data, but protesters fear they could be used for surveillance.

Protests are everywhere, from a 28 mile human chain blocking train stations to this violent scuffle.
I read previously that at least 1/4 of people there are involved in protests. Those numbers are astonishing.

I've seen a lot of protesters with tennis rackets. I wondered why and then saw that they were using them to lob back tear gas canisters.
I admit I chuckled a bit, but you have to give them credit for that.

Some people may think, who cares what happens over there. They are half a world away and none of this will impact my life.
I think they are very wrong, and so do many economists. Some are suggesting that this might trigger a world recession like we've never seen.
I think about what Trump just said about American companies to get out of China and to come home. Many took it is arrogant and misplaced. Maybe it wasn't.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Thank you for the heads-up.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I bet if China was a 3rd world country, or their military was equivalent to say Iraq, we probably would have 'free' Hong Kong years ago

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I'm thinking this is the start.....thought it would be blown full throwdown by now......

That old lady claimed to have a vision that ww3 started by something no body expected....idk

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
I'm thinking this is the start.....thought it would be blown full throwdown by now......

That old lady claimed to have a vision that ww3 started by something no body expected....idk

I've not heard that, but pretty interesting prophecy

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
I bet if China was a 3rd world country, or their military was equivalent to say Iraq, we probably would have 'free' Hong Kong years ago

but its not.

So how now?

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   

We helped with Taiwan in 96', but "helping" now would kill more than it would help.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Only after 1997 otherwise you got us Brits to take on also, more tea sir?

Handover of Hong Kong

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.independent.co.uk...

Officers returned fire with tear gas as they clashed with hundreds of protesters following a march against the government’s installation of “smart lampposts”, which are equipped with cameras and sensors. The government has said the lampposts will only collect air quality, traffic and weather data, but protesters fear they could be used for surveillance.

Protests are everywhere, from a 28 mile human chain blocking train stations to this violent scuffle.
I read previously that at least 1/4 of people there are involved in protests. Those numbers are astonishing.

I've seen a lot of protesters with tennis rackets. I wondered why and then saw that they were using them to lob back tear gas canisters.
I admit I chuckled a bit, but you have to give them credit for that.

Some people may think, who cares what happens over there. They are half a world away and none of this will impact my life.
I think they are very wrong, and so do many economists. Some are suggesting that this might trigger a world recession like we've never seen.
I think about what Trump just said about American companies to get out of China and to come home. Many took it is arrogant and misplaced. Maybe it wasn't.

Beyond useless UN declarations, shutting down doing business even temporarily is about the only tool we have.

posted on Aug, 25 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
They have serious balls to be protesting against the worlds ultimate big brother regime.
Sure we may whine about it in the west,but rarely do we take to the streets and attempt to rip out the surveilance infrastructure.

www.youtube.com...

These protesters are risking their entire future and possibly that of their families(not to mention their internal organs)to fight against the chi com menace.
I hope they leave their cell phones at home or they will likely get rounded up in the future.

Its not just the kids either-my dad(mid 70s)has a couple of friends about the same age who live there-and they have been out protesting as well as many folks their age.

Very brave but righteous IMO.
I hope it doesn't turn more bloody,but I know that is wishful thinking.

posted on Aug, 25 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Those protesters last week were being real gentle....kinda cool to see.....they captured a riot squad dude and mock tied him down in a chair with a hundred Strings, slapping him ever so gently on the cheek....just now and then.....

The media.......haven't seen a report in a week and a half....

Takes my breath away......scary

a reply to: Silcone Synapse

top topics

join