It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever heard of Situs Inversus? Reversal of organs...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 04:17 PM
link   

What is Situs Inversus?

Situs inversus is a genetic condition in which the organs in the chest and abdomen are positioned in a mirror image from their normal positions. For example, the left atrium of the heart and the left lung are positioned on the body’s right side. In the abdominal cavity, the liver is positioned mostly on the left side instead of the right. And the stomach is on the right side of the body instead of the left.

Situs inversus is a very rare condition. According to an article in the journal Heart ViewsTrusted Source, it occurs in an estimated 1 in 10,000 people.

Freaky stuff, huh?

Even more freaky (and unexpected) is that it "occurs" in 1 in 10,000 people! What??!!! I would have thought it would be so rare that it would be like 1 in 1 million or even 1 in 10 million??!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnakinWayneII

What is Situs Inversus?

Situs inversus is a genetic condition in which the organs in the chest and abdomen are positioned in a mirror image from their normal positions. For example, the left atrium of the heart and the left lung are positioned on the body’s right side. In the abdominal cavity, the liver is positioned mostly on the left side instead of the right. And the stomach is on the right side of the body instead of the left.

Situs inversus is a very rare condition. According to an article in the journal Heart ViewsTrusted Source, it occurs in an estimated 1 in 10,000 people.

Freaky stuff, huh?

Even more freaky (and unexpected) is that it "occurs" in 1 in 10,000 people! What??!!! I would have thought it would be so rare that it would be like 1 in 1 million or even 1 in 10 million??!!!

I have an aunt with Down syndrome that has this. All her organs are perfectly normal, just backwards.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

You're right, that is surprisingly common
Rare diseases are usually those in 200,000 or fewer
edit on 23-8-2019 by ADAMandEVIL because: ETA fixes

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   
So, if a person with situs inversus has indigestion, do they get a lower back ache?

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   
It's good to hear that things still work ok with this condition. I am not expecting much difference with where the organ are, that they are connected and working is the main thing. It is quite common for there to be some differences in body structure between individuals.

One recent report about mad clown disease has some important proteins in the brain made backwards. This kinda messes things up and results in the brain having a sponge like consistency with lost of holes. Symptoms include excessive laughing and disconnection from empathy. The Prions from eating brain matter has strong links to the cause, similar to Mad cow disease.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I have heard of that and looked at pictures and descriptions but have never known anyone who had that. Although, how would a person actually know if they had that? I remember when I was young someone saying someone had their appendix on the wrong side, I wonder if that was this, or whether that doctor was drunk when doing the surgery. That doctor we had up where I lived when I was young really liked to get hammered. We only had maybe four doctors in the whole two cities when I was a kid. Plus two vets, that used to be enough doctors and vets for around eight thousand people those days.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Don’t Eat The Joker’s Brain! | Because Science Footnotes

Not sure who you where referring too. This is an important public health message with cannibalistic trends going on.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I have heard of that and looked at pictures and descriptions but have never known anyone who had that. Although, how would a person actually know if they had that? I remember when I was young someone saying someone had their appendix on the wrong side, I wonder if that was this, or whether that doctor was drunk when doing the surgery. That doctor we had up where I lived when I was young really liked to get hammered. We only had maybe four doctors in the whole two cities when I was a kid. Plus two vets, that used to be enough doctors and vets for around eight thousand people those days.

Not sure how people would know - however, for instance, here's a thought: sounds odd, but if some folks "overeat", can't they feel a slight pressure on the left size of their belly? As such therefore, some folks who "overate" and also had Situs Inversus may feel a slight pressure on their right side, no?

EDIT: That being said, I still find the statistics quote staggering. That's a potential 800,000+ folks around the planet who have Situs Inversus...

edit on 24-8-2019 by AnakinWayneII because: Stats

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
So, if a person with situs inversus has indigestion, do they get a lower back ache?

Why would anybody with indigestion get lower back ache anyway?

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

I joined just to share on this thread (been a lurker for over a decade).

My daughter has this. We learned of it when my wife was pregnant, during an ultrasound. The ultrasound tech got worried and had to get a doctor. Long story short, she was born without complications and functions normally today. She is almost 7 now. You would not know otherwise when looking at her.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Yes we see it from time to time at the hospital. Totalis is way more rare that situs inversus with out the cardiac shift

you also will just see the cardiac shift as well which goes by the term dextrocardia.

Its often found with one or more cardiac defects. Its often a good way to educate a new nurse on not making assumptions. They will go in and chart that the liver is at the right costal margin when It in fact is on the left. Hilarity and a hard learned lesson ensue (yes nursing is all about the bullying of new grads lest they kill someone)

The first part of ANY pediatric cardiac surgery is to identify the anatomical landmarks on the exterior of the heart to make sure you are starting at the right point.

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnakinWayneII

originally posted by: rickymouse

Not sure how people would know - however, for instance, here's a thought: sounds odd, but if some folks "overeat", can't they feel a slight pressure on the left size of their belly? As such therefore, some folks who "overate" and also had Situs Inversus may feel a slight pressure on their right side, no?

EDIT: That being said, I still find the statistics quote staggering. That's a potential 800,000+ folks around the planet who have Situs Inversus...

It seems to me that that would be an inherited trait. so a group of people could have a much higher rate of expressing that trait. I wonder if there is information as to what areas of the world have the highest rate of situs inversus? It may be one in then thousand world wide, but could be one in a hundred in some community in the world somewhere.

top topics

join