It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberals and conservatives alike - pipe down, there were two black Roman Emperors

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

Most importantly white wasn’t invented until like 300 years ago.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I've only just noticed recently that AD is rarely used anymore, it's always CE. When did this become a thing?(sorry OP, this is far more important than "was there a black Roman Emperor?").

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   

I thought all the emperors were guineas!

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 08:07 PM
link   

They were both North African but there ancestral heritage is not clear, Septimus Severus was actually a great emperor if not one of Romes most famous, both busts appear to show men of possible mixed heritage and perhaps more than a hint of Berber in them.

Africa was certainly no stranger to great civilizations though and but for the twist of fate that was Hannibal's decision not to attack Rome when he had her on her knee's history today would be very different, there were ancient trade link's to the Carthaginian's and they were not a land empire BUT that would all have changed had he taken his advantage and conquered Roman when he had the chance and perhaps ancient scholars today would be quoting now forgotten Phoenician writers and historian's.

One of the most remarkable, cultured and civilized nations in all of human history however DID have black Nubian king's - many of them - Egypt and until the European expansion many black civilizations if a little behind in weapons technology were a match for there European counterparts.

AND given those ancient trade links there are people of black descent in the most Caucasian country's and people of Caucasian descent in the most African country's (With ancestry from long before the colonial period).

The Romans enacted a law since there own woman were dark haired that all prostitutes (girls forced into slaver) had to be blonde but the law failed later as the roman woman learned how to dye there hair and eventually they mixed with there northerly neighbors, it is also possible that many of the ancient Mediterranean people were rather a lot darker of complexion than they are today as evidenced by pottery and murals from the ancient world.

edit on 23-8-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Liberals and conservatives alike - pipe down, there were two black Roman Emperors

This was the only reason why I ever started posting. . . .

Guess I'll log off and go outside now. . . .

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I can rest assured now that ATS has officially entered the "Twilight Zone"

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Somebody's history is based on birth geography alone. And flat wrong. He was NOT black, Septimius Severus was Punic/Carthaginian (aka that very important Phoenician colony) and (Italian) Roman. He was just born in the African stretch of the empire is all.

Quick edit: Because someone's bound to argue that Tunisian city = must be full of Africans, Carthage was a colony of Phoenicians, who originated in Lebanon. If nothing else, dude was a half Middle Eastern emperor.
edit on 8/23/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

I thought all the emperors were guineas!

Horrible racist fredo slur 😠

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Is the skin color of ancient Roman emperors a common topic of conversation among the so-called liberals and so-called conservatives now?

Man, I miss so much important stuff by tuning out political hacks!

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Is this a race to create as many threads as we can?

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny

Most importantly white wasn’t invented until like 300 years ago.

You make a very good point...

posted on Aug, 24 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Really dude?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join