It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberals and conservatives alike - pipe down, there were two black Roman Emperors

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Emperor Septimius Severus (145-211), Emperor from 193-211 CE.

Septimius Severus, in full Lucius Septimius Severus Pertinax, (born April 11, 145/146, Leptis Magna, Tripolitania [now in Libya]—died Feb. 4, 211, Eboracum, Britain [now York, Eng.]), Roman emperor from 193 to 211.

He founded a personal dynasty and converted the government into a military monarchy. His reign marks a critical stage in the development of the absolute despotism that characterized the later Roman Empire.

Septimius Severus

His co- emperor and son, Emperor Caracalla:

Emperor Lucius Septimius Bassianus (188-217) Roman Emperor from 211 to 217 CE.

Caracalla was Roman emperor from 211 to 217 CE. Caracalla was born Lucius Septimius Bassianus on the 4th of April 188 CE in Lugdunum (Lyon) where his father Septimius Severus was serving as the governor of Gallia Lugdunensis during the last years of the Emperor Commodus.

When Caracalla was seven, his name was changed to Marcus Aurelius Antoninus. This was done because of the wish of his father, now emperor, to link the new Severan dynasty with the previous Antonine one. The name ‘Caracalla’ was considered a nickname and referred to a type of cloak that the emperor wore (the nickname was originally used pejoratively and was never an official name of the emperor).

At the time his name was changed, Caracalla became the official heir of his father, and in 198 CE at the age of ten, he was designated co-ruler with Severus (albeit a very junior co-ruler!).

Caracalla

So, liberals and conservatives alike, pipe down. There were two Black Roman Emperors.

edit on 23-8-2019 by AnakinWayneII because: Both

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: AnakinWayneII

Um, ok

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I suspect

"This answer cannot be answered properly since the Romans did not have the same concept of race as we do. The criteria that are used in our times to call a person black depend very strongly on colonialist concepts developed in the period from the 16th to 19th century. As a result of this, even if there were dark-skinned Roman emperors we would not be able to tell if they were actually black in a modern contest or, for example, of Egyptian origin with a darker-than-average tint."

Looking here... www.reddit.com...

Since it's become such an argument topic for the Negro race, ie. their claims to fame, we have a lot of claims of individuals claimed by their race.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I’m looking this up now, but I am super doubtful..

Also I have no idea why liberals would care.. by definition they are usaly cool with new ideas..

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   
And so many shouts of 'racist' .....well I believe observation can be quite neutral. Simply deducing from an observation the apparent and obvious race is 'racist' ? What kind of bird do you have ? or dog, or cat? or what kind of burger are you eating, Angus ? Same same deductions are the observation of the individual and subject to logical deduction.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   

The fact he was born in Tripoli doesn’t mean he was black..

Italian romans would have been all over the empire.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnakinWayneII

So, liberals and conservatives alike, pipe down. There were two Black Roman Emperors.

"Pipe down" from WHAT, exactly? I've never heard liberals or conservatives wax eloquent on the race of Roman emperors. It's not exactly a common topic of conversation. I think you've concocted a straw man here so you can give us your highly suspect history lesson.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I'm not seeing it.

What am I missing?

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   

He doesn't look African from the bust on the wiki link you quote. Born in Libya which is not far from Italy.

Romans would have put Romans in charge of Libya I think.

I'll need more evidence to back up your claim.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Netflix had a couple seemingly well done series of the Caesars. And it's up for interpretation whether Caligula was as bad as some paint him under the circumstance. Perhaps He was more victim of the political elete.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Love your answer. I've been thinking the same for so long.

Look at all the varieties of dogs there are. It's wonderful and everyone is beautiful in their own way.

Why do people have to always look at the outside to judge?

Anyway, I don't care who was what color in the past (keeping on track).

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: hiddeninsite
a reply to: Plotus

Love your answer. I've been thinking the same for so long.

Look at all the varieties of dogs there are. It's wonderful and everyone is beautiful in their own way.

Why do people have to always look at the outside to judge?

Anyway, I don't care who was what color in the past (keeping on track).

On a separate note, humans have selectively bred dogs for hundreds, if not thousands of years.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   
"" there were two black Roman Emperors ""

W-H-A-T !!!!!! 😃

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Word is he likely looked Middle Eastern. Darker skin but certainly not black. He was an awful leader and is associated with the fall of Rome.

There are not many examples of great black leaders in antiquity. I don't know why that is and honestly do not care. I would not even call the great Roman leaders great since they were total warmongers, robbing and enslaving people as far as they possibly could.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   
They were both of European ancestry.

edit on 23-8-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: network dude has no beer because Heels took it

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Went right over your head didn't it.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Yes, it was a Mediterranean empire, and recruited soldiers from all round the Mediterranean.
But the question of liberals v conservatives is beside the point, because the mental association between black skin and slavery is a fairly modern thing. Post-Columbus, really.
For that matter, the distinction between liberals and conservatives is a product of the French Revolution. Before then, politics was about other things.

edit on 23-8-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Sshhhhhhh, don't ruin his story.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha
Ha, I see guys on technicals every week emptying anti-aircraft cannons at nothing that look just like him. I think I seen a dead Turkish mercenary that was a spitting image.

posted on Aug, 23 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

I think homie is going on his birthplace, not realizing that Italian romans would have immigrated there .

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join